• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNC drops term ‘freshman’ in favor of ‘gender inclusive language’

Status
Not open for further replies.

derder

http://www.campusreform.org/blog/?ID=4458
The University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill has removed the word “freshman” from official university documents, citing as their reason an attempt to adopt more “gender inclusive language.”

We are “committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our community,” reads a statement administrators sent to Campus Reform on Monday.

The University of North Carolina (pictured above) dropped the term “freshman” in an effort to adopt more “gender neutral language.”
“Consistent with that commitment, gender inclusive terms (chair; first year student; upper-level student, etc.) should be used on University Documents, websites and policies,” it continues.

A spokesperson for UNC declined to further elaborate on the university’s reasoning for implementing the language change.

Some students, however, expressed discontent over the change in policy.

Brandon Hartness, Executive Vice Chair for the school’s college Republicans chapter, told Campus Reform he feels the university is allowing political correctness to drive their decisions.

“I feel like they are making a big deal out of nothing,” said Hartness. “Girls are not going to deem the word [freshman] as sexist.”

“I feel like most people don’t even think about it,” he added.

Karen Moon, Director of UNC News Services, did note that the policy change occurred in 2009. It has recently garnered attention after the libertarian news personality, John Stossel, highlighted it in his show earlier this month.
I don't know what to think. You could have said that this sort of conversation means that the budget and tuition issues have subsided and we're back on track for quibbling -- except the change was proposed in 2009...

OnPoint

For the life of me I cannot remember
What made us think that we were wise and
We'd never compromise
For the life of me I cannot believe
We'd ever die for these sins
We were merely first years

Mudkips

Banned

pantsmith

At my school they tried to change it to "First Year Student", but the students AND teachers just ignored the push. If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Eidan

Are they gonna change human too?

hume.jpg

linko9

Freshman was not an officially used term at my college, but of course everyone used the word. I think many schools these days use "first year" officially, and not freshmen. Pretty damn silly. As someone else noted, the word "woman" comes from "Wif-man." Obviously, the word "man" can be gender neutral.

Foooooooor the life of me
I cannot remember
What made us think that we were wise
And we'd never compromise
Fooooooor the life of me I cannot believe
We'd ever die for these sins
We were merely Freshpeople.

genjiZERO

I prefer using terms like: first year, second year, etc. Not because they are gender neutral but because they make more sense.

Linko9 said:
Freshman was not an officially used term at my college, but of course everyone used the word. I think many schools these days use "first year" officially, and not freshmen. Pretty damn silly. As someone else noted, the word "woman" comes from "Wif-man." Obviously, the word "man" can be gender neutral.

The word "man" is gender neutral. It's in contemporary times that the term has come to also mean "male". But it's original use was to mean 'human' regardless of gender.

LegatoB

Really can't bring myself to get upset about a stylistic change to a school's official documentation. First-year, freshman, who gives a shit? Conveys the same information in about the same time and spacing. Not like students or faculty are forbidden to use the dread word on campus!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Lol, this is a true concern, not athletes getting real grades for fake classes. What is "woman" in Swahili?

Orayn

I prefer using terms like: first year, second year, etc. Not because they are gender neutral but because they make more sense.

Pretty much. Four rigidly defined years don't really represent the reality of how people go to college any more, anyway.

Meier

Just reminds me of that amazing series of "children's books" that modified everything to be less "sexist" including using herstory, etc. Loved those books.

I'm personally of the opinion that no matter which way you approach this from, it's not a big deal and really isn't newsworthy. On the one hand, I don't think many people were probably all that bothered by 'freshman', so "why bother?" isn't an altogether unreasonable question. But on the other, if even one person was remotely bothered by it, changing the documentation is a simple "Find & Replace" endeavor, so it also seems pointless to react as though this was a gargantuan undertaking that was enacted at the expense of more pressing concerns.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
The women's study program at my university is housed in Manly Hall. I always enjoyed that little bit of irony.

TheExodu5

Banned
Why not just say:

1st year student
2nd year student
3rd year student
4th year student

?

Or is that not convoluted enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom