• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNC drops term ‘freshman’ in favor of ‘gender inclusive language’

Status
Not open for further replies.

reggie

Banned
It this thread, a bunch of butthurt sexist men whine and make terrible jokes because they're uncomfortable with change, gender analysis, and gender equality. Keep it classy, gents.

And yeah, I think this is a good move by UNC. Being animals with large frontal lobes that have evolved to utilize symbolic thought and language, humans are bound within language and symbol, and thus language and symbol are incredibly powerful. Intentionally using language is necessary to create the space and foundation of any fundamental, radical, or systemic change. Of course, there will always been those who are uncomfortable with it, who stand to lose from it, who yearn for the "good ol' days" when things were simpler, more straight-forward, more honest, less PC, i.e. patriarchal, racist, classist, etc. Too bad for you, folks. Times, they are a changin'.

I'm sorry, whos the one whining? You just bumped an old thread to whine about people whining. Mate, you take the fucking cake.

im pretty lefty when it comes to social issues but....

It this thread, a bunch of butthurt sexist men whine and make terrible jokes because they're uncomfortable with change, gender analysis, and gender equality. Keep it classy, gents.

And yeah, I think this is a good move by UNC. Being animals with large frontal lobes that have evolved to utilize symbolic thought and language, humans are bound within language and symbol, and thus language and symbol are incredibly powerful. Intentionally using language is necessary to create the space and foundation of any fundamental, radical, or systemic change. Of course, there will always been those who are uncomfortable with it, who stand to lose from it, who yearn for the "good ol' days" when things were simpler, more straight-forward, more honest, less PC, i.e. patriarchal, racist, classist, etc. Too bad for you, folks. Times, they are a changin'.

OMG :lol you feminists and PC warriors are hilarious

small advice: try getting away from the internet. Exercise. Breathe fresh air. Live life.

magicstop

I'm sorry, whos the one whining? You just bumped an old thread to whine about people whining. Mate, you take the fucking cake.

The bump was an error. It appeared on the main page for me, no shit. I have zero interest in bumping this topic. It was just one of many tabs I had open as I was perusing OT. I guess the only other alternative is that I tab-clicked it as it was linked from another current thread, but I don't remember doing that. I swear this was front page. So weird, and again, apologies for necro'ing this.
I'm 100% to let this die, and because I was the dolt who bumped it, I won't be participating in further discussion unless it gets cleared by the community and mods first.

This seems a bit silly to me. I'm a girl and I didn't mind being called a freshman, nor did any girl I know/knew.

*shrug*

Edit: Oh, wait. This was bumped. Wow.

magicstop

Oh shit, I figured it out. No GAF error, human mistake 100%. I was searching for the term "language" in post titles to find this thread about US language differences, and hoping on the computer a bit later, I mistook the search results for the OT main page. I thus gleefully entered into some threads, and managed to necrobump one of them. My bad. Unintentional.

since this is bumped, might as well put my 2 cents in it. I personally don't have any problem with freshman, but at my school you don't have to be in your second year to have sophomore standing so we just use first-year, second-year, etc.

kirblar

EDIT: Oh, wtf! How did this bump? I saw this as an active topic on the main page. I am not a bumper, never have been. Many, many apologies on that front. Not trying to bring this back up, especially with vitriol. Sorry, folks.

Original:

I mean, the vitriol alone towards the people in this thread is a problem, let alone the necro-bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom