• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
UC2 handled the platforming better than UC1 precisely because it became an integral part of the combat in many of the game's battles. The platforming itself isn't fun, but verticality and movement and reaching advantageous positions are incredibly important elements of the combat in Uncharted 2. And Uncharted 2 (like Vanquish) did a really good job of making traversal a terrifically important part of combat, which is how you really take advantage of the TPS genre.

So yeah, the platforming-only sections weren't that exciting, but incorporating the platforming controls into combat was fucking awesome.

Mael

badcrumble said:
UC2 handled the platforming better than UC1 precisely because it became an integral part of the combat in many of the game's battles. The platforming itself isn't fun, but verticality and movement and reaching advantageous positions are incredibly important elements of the combat in Uncharted 2. And Uncharted 2 (like Vanquish) did a really good job of making traversal a terrifically important part of combat, which is how you really take advantage of the TPS genre.

So yeah, the platforming-only sections weren't that exciting, but incorporating the platforming controls into combat was fucking awesome.
I'm only talking about these parts, the rest is more than fine

Mael said:
And I'd still argue that they did a lot to serve the pacing of the game, and the game would be worse without them. Naughty Dog should find ways to make the platforming more fun (without necessarily becoming based on precision and timing), but they shouldn't abandon it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mael said:
I think they are important to the game as it allows for variety and gives you the opportunity to enjoy the environment. If you distill the game down to only its best features it will become overly repetitive, I think, like Call of Duty SP. These platforming sections, to me at least, are enjoyable enough that I appreciate their existence. If they removed the platforming it would compromise the overall world design as many areas depend on this to work. For instance, climbing the tower in Uncharted 2. The platforming gives you the impression of a large building that you must scale. If they removed it completely, what would you be left with? A cutscene between combat areas? An elevator that takes you all the way to the top? Throwing in some platforming and mixing in combat on the way to the top really improves the experience.

What about the train? There's plenty of platforming to be done there. What would you have them do instead?

It's very rare that you run into an area that is 100% platforming without any combat and even those that ARE there still help build atmosphere and give the game a sense of place. Working through the icy caverns, for instance, would have been less interesting if there were no traversal elements. It adds to the game.

I DO think they could improve upon it, but I'm not sure in what way.

Mael

badcrumble said:
And I'd still argue that they did a lot to serve the pacing of the game, and the game would be worse without them. Naughty Dog should find ways to make the platforming more fun (without necessarily becoming based on precision and timing), but they shouldn't abandon it.

To be fair I don't think I can tell I know how the game would fare without these.
All I know is how boring they are, they break the pacing from constant shooting well though.
I mean the way they're now, you could remove 80% of the geometry and the gameplay wouldn't lose much anyway.
Giving 2 or 3 alternative routes would certainly do wonder.....like they do in the shooting parts.

dark10x said:
I think they are important to the game as it allows for variety and gives you the opportunity to enjoy the environment. If you distill the game down to only its best features it will become overly repetitive, I think, like Call of Duty SP. These platforming sections, to me at least, are enjoyable enough that I appreciate their existence. If they removed the platforming it would compromise the overall world design as many areas depend on this to work. For instance, climbing the tower in Uncharted 2. The platforming gives you the impression of a large building that you must scale. If they removed it completely, what would you be left with? A cutscene between combat areas? An elevator that takes you all the way to the top? Throwing in some platforming and mixing in combat on the way to the top really improves the experience.

The thing is it's way too apparent that they're there to connect 2 areas, might as well allow us to skip the parts so that we can have the fun parts not being cut by boredom.
It's build as a summer flick after all.

dark10x said:
What about the train? There's plenty of platforming to be done there. What would you have them do instead?

It's very rare that you run into an area that is 100% platforming without any combat and even those that ARE there still help build atmosphere and give the game a sense of place. Working through the icy caverns, for instance, would have been less interesting if there were no traversal elements. It adds to the game.

I DO think they could improve upon it, but I'm not sure in what way.
I mostly play platformers these days so they appear hollow shells of what they could be. Heck I play platformers since I began gaming so I know when I'm having and when I'm being bored.
My point is more about the fact that since they've put trophies and other trinkets to make people replay the game, they might as well go all the way and make the pure platforming parts fun. About the train it'd be vastly more fun if there was say 3 paths and the paths were conditional (stay too long on a pipe and it naturally fall, closing a path...)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Reading from the reviews... This game is exactly like UC2? Meaning the shooting part hasn't "evolved" but has better cutscenes than UC2?

Gvaz

Banned
The Xtortionist said:
Hated FF13. I can stand UC's linearity because the game doesn't overstay its welcome at 8-10 hours. Same with CoD campaigns. FF13 is a 30 hour long corridor. That was the difference to me.
I like you. You think the same way I do.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
ULTROS! said:
Reading from the reviews... This game is exactly like UC2? Meaning the shooting part hasn't "evolved" but has better cutscenes than UC2?

The shooting isn't much different I think, but supposedly melee combat has been upgraded in UC3

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mael said:
The thing is it's way too apparent that they're there to connect 2 areas, might as well allow us to skip the parts so that we can have the fun parts not being cut by boredom.
It's build as a summer flick after all.

I mostly play platformers these days so they appear hollow shells of what they could be. Heck I play platformers since I began gaming so I know when I'm having and when I'm being bored.
My point is more about the fact that since they've put trophies and other trinkets to make people replay the game, they might as well go all the way and make the pure platforming parts fun. About the train it'd be vastly more fun if there was say 3 paths and the paths were conditional (stay too long on a pipe and it naturally fall, closing a path...)
I don't know what to tell you. I enjoyed those bits, did not find them boring, and feel that cutting them would reduce the quality of the experience. Who's to say which of us is "correct"?

StuBurns said:
Melee looks different, but how is it better? It just seems to take way longer, that's worse.
It's more like Rocksteady's Batman games than a simple QTE like the first two games - in that sense, it's been brought up to the accessible-but-enjoyable quality of the shooting and the stealth.

Mael

dark10x said:
I don't know what to tell you. I enjoyed those bits, did not find them boring, and feel that cutting them would reduce the quality of the experience. Who's to say which of us is "correct"?
We'll just have to agree to disagree then.
I stand by my point that on the whole package of the game it's the black that bring it down, I'm not sure giving the option to skip them like cutscenes would make the game less than it is.
For what the game tries to do and did do, I can't say I have any other reason for being upset about it in any way.

thuway

ULTROS! said:
There is a story you know. It is the reason I play the Uncharted franchise. The core mechanics are done well enough for me to like them. 8 out of 10 for platforming, 10 out of 10 for shooting. Everything else is icing on the cake.

The majority of the GAFFer's here want to play a high production, well told, blockbuster.

StuBurns

Banned
badcrumble said:
It's more like Rocksteady's Batman games than a simple QTE like the first two games - in that sense, it's been brought up to the accessible-but-enjoyable quality of the shooting and the stealth.
Sounds great, I never really used melee in the other two, outside of with the stealth in 2.

Dr Eggman said:
Oh it'll exist. With more precise statistics and users reviewing reviews.
after trolling game publisher and forces them to pay attention to metacritic score, they'll move on to troll game journalist by letting user review game magazine and websites to determine their weight in metacritic scores. :p

ULTROS! said:
apparently the enemy AI is improved, and seemed like the arena is maybe bigger and more open since 1 review I read mentioned getting flanked often by enemy.

Mael said:
I can only think of a five significant sections with platforming only. Tutorial level, statue puzzle, spear puzzle, ice cavern, and underground cave near the end of the game. The ice cavern and underground cave provide a buddy for you to banter about and explore. The puzzle areas are a nice mix of problem solving and platforming.
BruiserBear said:
Did the "shooting part" need to get better?
UC2 was a step back from UC1 in terms of arena combat. It's good to hear UC3 will bring back some of the more organic battle situations. UC2 also had too much use of power weapons.

Bats metascore is 97 now
UC2 in third place
GTAIV in Danger!!

24fydc8.gif

Gvaz

Banned
Actually, the user score for all those games are pretty damn accurate. A few choice issues like AC2 > ACB (that's reverse) but a lot more accurate than those bullshit critic reviews. a 98 for GTA4? laffin my fucking face off

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
haha, never saw that the user score was 7.5 for GTAIV. Still can't believe that's the highest rated game this gen.

Jomjom

Banned
badcrumble said:

I agree. More than just pacing, these help with the immersion of the game in that the platforming often gives you a sense of scale, of traversing from one location to another, and of adventure in general. Without it, Uncharted would not have that adventurous, Indiana Jones feeling it has to it.

jling84 said:
I agree. More than just pacing, these help with the immersion of the game in that the platforming often gives you a sense of scale, of traversing from one location to another, and of adventure in general. Without it, Uncharted would not have that adventurous, Indiana Jones feeling it has to it.

Plus, just a lot of the fun incidental dialog comes from all the climbing about.

"All right, eh, admit it, you're impressed"

"I am, I'll throw you a banana"

Basch

Lagspike_exe said:
ITT: Delirious SEGA fanboy calling other fanboys delirious.

Imagine if user's couldn't type any derivative of fanboy, whatever would we do?

I suppose I can be fangurrl. -_-

Pranay_ said:
LOL

TBH I hate Gamespot but their review was better and it covered a wide area of the gameplay.

Surprisingly a well written review

who reads? ick.

In all seriousness, I'm on total blackout. I've read snippets here and there (mostly 'cause of the Eurogamer fiasco), but I'll be sure to check them out after I play it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
FedEx tried to deliver my copy today.... noooooo. Wife is making me go out Friday and Saturday night for Halloween, too :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom