• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 Remastered vs Crysis Remastered | PC Comparison

TxKnight7

Uncharted 4 has far better Animations/Character،Models
Crysis has Ray Tracing, Svogi ,8K textures
Better Vegetation physics and water physics
Plus Destructible trees etc
every tree, shack, small item break in realistic ways with their own physics/interactions in large dense areas,
Crysis has things that looks better imo Uncharted 4 has better things too but Crysis is a remaster of a 2007 game
Unlike Uncharted 4 2016 this video shows the differences

Crysis remastered running at max settings without any mods to improve visuals it's just pressing a key~ on keyboard to show it in third person using console commands.

Last edited:
What baffles me is why all these years later, no dev wants to step up and create a truly "made for PC exclusively" game like they did with Crysis all those years ago, when today the PC gaming market is orders of magnitude larger to justify the investment. There's no team out there with the talent and drive that mid 2000s Crytek had.

FingerBang

What baffles me is why all these years later, no dev wants to step up and create a truly "made for PC exclusively" game like they did with Crysis all those years ago, when today the PC gaming market is orders of magnitude larger to justify the investment. There's no team out there with the talent and drive that mid 2000s Crytek had.
Star Citizen?

The game you're asking for is so niche it would never justify it's cost. The PC market is huge, indeed, but the average gaming PC is not even on par with modern consoles. Do you expect people to spend tons to make the next Crysis so that only, what, the top 10% of PC gamers can play it? The most popular graphics card is a 1650, the average CPU is a Ryzen 5 x600 and the system has 16GB of DDR4 RAM. What can it run that the PS5 cannot? If it can run on the average PC, it probably can run on the Switch.

If what you're complaining about is the lack of games that push boundaries, then you're probably right, but I don't think it's because we lack the technology or the expertise.

PC gaming on average is not about the best graphics, but flexibility, modding, emulation and so on. Stop assuming PC gaming means a 13900k and a 4090.

Last edited:

NeoRaider

ryan-reynolds-but-why.gif

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Because there's three times as many console users with medium hardware vs on pc.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
if they made it PC exclusive, game is going to run like trash even on high end PC, and then PCMR would downvote the game to hell on steam.

I was berated in the Portal RTX thread for thinking this. Be careful the RTX gamers are comming for you.

Fbh

Crysis is always a great reminder of diminishing returns. It's not like there aren't nicer looking and better modern games, but for something originally released over a decade ago it doesn't feel out of place compared to modern games.

Because games cost tens of millions of dollars (if not more) and if you make something that's so demanding that Ps5/SX can't even run it you'll also be leaving out the vast majority of the PC gaming audience
These are the 10 most used GPU's on Steam right now:
biTedYP.png

Star Citizen, Portal RTX, RTS games?

Honestly though, most companies like making as much money as possible today and consoles aren’t as odd to develop for anymore ever since Sony and Nintendo stopped using custom architecture.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Star Citizen?

The game you're asking for is so niche it would never justify it's cost. The PC market is huge, indeed, but the average gaming PC is not even on par with modern consoles. Do you expect people to spend tons to make the next Crysis so that only, what, the top 10% of PC gamers can play it? The most popular graphics card is a 1650, the average CPU is a Ryzen 5 x600 and the system has 16GB of DDR4 RAM. What can it run that the PS5 cannot? If it can run on the average PC, it probably can run on the Switch.

If what you're complaining about is the lack of games that push boundaries, then you're probably right, but I don't think it's because we lack the technology or the expertise.

PC gaming on average is not about the best graphics, but flexibility, modding, emulation and so on. Stop assuming PC gaming means a 13900k and a 4090.
Don't think it was much different back when Crysis launched. Even 10% of a 130 million or so is 13 million potential customers - 13 million very rich (at least gaming wise) customers.
The question is what do you with that power? For all the talk of crossgen holding things back, I haven't seen many ideas of what we would get if we took the brakes off. Where can we go from here that isn't ray tracing?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Where can we go from here that isn't ray tracing?
Interactivity is one area that's largely absent from big-budget 3d experiences. You get some destruction that is wildly inconsistent and usually absent or severely constrained online, but that's about it, and that's been the status quo for 20+ years now. There's been little to no evolution in that space for this entire time, as far as big-commercial releases go.
Even in indie-space, the most we get is enhanced general destruction engines - which still leaves the world interaction largely on the 'hyper unrealistic scale', but it's somewhat less offensive when visuals aren't chasing photo-realism.
Added corollary to player interaction is also general animation/interaction models that are - well still stuck in the 90ies tbh.

Now - the problems trying to push the envelope here are many - not the least of it being that computational costs scale exponentially with complexity - not linearly like in graphics, it makes game-design complexity dramatically more challenging as well, and it scales even worse to online/multiplayer scenarios than the rest of it.
Combine that with 'barely anyone will be able to play it at launch, so there's no commercial reasons to do it either' and you end up with just a long laundry list of reasons 'not to' try it, and virtually none for doing it.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Interactivity is one area that's largely absent from big-budget 3d experiences. You get some destruction that is wildly inconsistent and usually absent or severely constrained online, but that's about it, and that's been the status quo for 20+ years now. There's been little to no evolution in that space for this entire time, as far as big-commercial releases go.
Even in indie-space, the most we get is enhanced general destruction engines - which still leaves the world interaction largely on the 'hyper unrealistic scale', but it's somewhat less offensive when visuals aren't chasing photo-realism.
Added corollary to player interaction is also general animation/interaction models that are - well still stuck in the 90ies tbh.

Now - the problems trying to push the envelope here are many - not the least of it being that computational costs scale exponentially with complexity - not linearly like in graphics, it makes game-design complexity dramatically more challenging as well, and it scales even worse to online/multiplayer scenarios than the rest of it.
Combine that with 'barely anyone will be able to play it at launch, so there's no commercial reasons to do it either' and you end up with just a long laundry list of reasons 'not to' try it, and virtually none for doing it.
See that is the problem - I dont think people want games like this, at least not enough to make it worthwhile. Linear story and level design which it seems most people want does not mesh with destruction - I am playing through UC4 right now and in some scripted places I can do insane parkour dropping a couple of stories down onto some gravel then sliding down before leaping across a chasm to grasp onto a ledge by my finger tips. Then seconds later a shoulder high wall with vines on it is completely impassable. Allow me to blow up walls and the game would fall apart.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
See that is the problem - I dont think people want games like this, at least not enough to make it worthwhile. Linear story and level design which it seems most people want does not mesh with destruction - I am playing through UC4 right now and in some scripted places I can do insane parkour dropping a couple of stories down onto some gravel then sliding down before leaping across a chasm to grasp onto a ledge by my finger tips. Then seconds later a shoulder high wall with vines on it is completely impassable. Allow me to blow up walls and the game would fall apart.
Yea that's the part I mentioned about Game Design becoming exponentially more difficult - it's a completely different paradigm if you allow free interaction.
Eg. not just blowing up - what if you could use environmental props in physically realistic ways - most of obstacles could be climbed/scaled/fashion a ladder/something climbable etc etc. It opens up a ton of possibilities but again - changes everything for game-design.

That being said - I still find it enormously off-putting how most modern games embrace photoreal environments and characters but when it comes to traversal and interaction - everything still feels exactly like what's underneath. I am piloting a Capsule through a bunch of box-shaped corridors that represent the environment. With every now and then - some box being movable.
It was less in your face when Silent Hill 2 behaved like that - graphics and animation limitations alike, helped with things feeling more... consistent. But playing TLOU 2 or Control - the rigidity of well... 'everything' in their worlds just completely clashes with the attempt at ultra realistic character movements and visuals when I run into it.
No wonder open-world games are more popular - when your corridors are wide enough - less chances of seeing how offensively limited everything is in the game-world.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Crysis does a lot of things better than most games do now.

Uncharted 4 does a lot of things better than most games do now.

I'd wager U4 has more destructibles and better damage in a lot more aspects than Crysis does. In U4 you can have Matrix style shootouts in one of the first bits of the game with pillars and columns exploding. The market level has tons of destructibles, deformable terrain, and just a lot more going on than Crysis had in it's entirety.

Crysis has destructible trees and small huts. Vegetation reacts pretty nicely as well.

Also the video looks to have pretty awful framerate? Is U4 really that hard to run on PC?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You mean the original one from 2007?
the one in the video has no mods installed to improve graphics.

The new one is a port of the console Crysis. It’s inferior to to the original in destruction, vegetation, and physics - no mods needed.

It’s also still graphically superior in areas.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Because PC isn’t owned by a single entity that needs you to buy their box, instead of someone else’s box.

That’s the reality. Sony wouldn’t be cranking out mega-budget blockbuster style releases, if they didn’t need you to buy a PlayStation.

Orta

Banned

I'd love that. It would make absolutely no sense on a financial level whatsoever but something to completely and utterly obliterate what the current gen consoles are and will ever be capable of. Min requirements, nVidia 4090, 128gb ram, intel 12900k, etc :messenger_tears_of_joy:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Crysis does a lot of things better than most games do now.

Uncharted 4 does a lot of things better than most games do now.

I'd wager U4 has more destructibles and better damage in a lot more aspects than Crysis does. In U4 you can have Matrix style shootouts in one of the first bits of the game with pillars and columns exploding. The market level has tons of destructibles, deformable terrain, and just a lot more going on than Crysis had in it's entirety.

Crysis has destructible trees and small huts. Vegetation reacts pretty nicely as well.

Also the video looks to have pretty awful framerate? Is U4 really that hard to run on PC?
I replayed both this year and Crysis 1... is kinda bad as I always thought it was. I always liked Timehsift more (also came out in 2007 and was overshadowed).
it has semi-open fake levels, poor ai, terrible performance still and pacing sis really weird. The game gets going and just ends. It's like 5 hours which is shorter than I remember.
I always liked crysis 2 more and hated 3 the most

uc4 on the other hand - I gain a new appreciation for it each time. More detail each time

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Great comparison. two of best looking games of their time !
A lot of foliage to compare too
But neither releases are new, and neither are their remasters. Just seems like an out of the blue comparison.

Last edited:

TxKnight7

The new one is a port of the console Crysis. It’s inferior to to the original in destruction, vegetation, and physics - no mods needed.

It’s also still graphically superior in areas.
Can't deny the original have better things but the remastered have better Textures/materials better lighting ,reflections and ray tracing etc the original has better Character faces too.

Ozriel

M$FT

Who’s going to greenlight an expensive AAA game to target just a fraction of the PC gaming public with the highest end GPUs and NVMe SSDs?

There's no team out there with the talent and drive that mid 2000s Crytek had.

And look where Crytek ended up. Practically bankrupt.

VN1X

Banned
CSGO and Valorant come to mind.

TxKnight7

Maybe CIG will.

100%. A game like that would need a huge budget, sure, and likely wouldn't compete with COD in terms of initial sales.

But Crysis, if I had to bet, has one of the longest "tails" in terms of sales. For years after (and maybe still) people would buy it if only for benchmarking purposes to check out how their new PCs could handle it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Star Citizen?

The thing is, advancement in PC gaming hardware, starting practically at the beginning, in the 90s with CD-ROM, Origin, id, etc. was always driven by new advanced games - games that forced people to upgrade their hardware to take advantage of it. That was part of the fun, now people get upset if their 1050ti and 2500k can't run a game at 60fps. Crysis really wasn't anything super out of the ordinary, it was just the last one.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The crisis remake is just Xbox 360 upscaled version with some new bells and whistles like ray tracing
Yes but they fixed a lot of the stuff from that 360 port. They added the breakable objects and so on like it was in original release

The thing is, advancement in PC gaming hardware, starting practically at the beginning, in the 90s with CD-ROM, Origin, id, etc. was always driven by new advanced games - games that forced people to upgrade their hardware to take advantage of it. That was part of the fun, now people get upset if their 1050ti and 2500k can't run a game at 60fps. Crysis really wasn't anything super out of the ordinary, it was just the last one.
PC VR I thought was going to get this shit going again, but shit just went quiet. PC gaming is so watered down these days. These console games ain't hitting man, shit is wack.

Top Bottom