• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis Was 'Hugely Influential' For Uncharted 4's Level Design

TxKnight7

yi1oipG.jpg

When it comes to level design, it’s no denying that Uncharted 4 has some of the most beautiful level designs and environments out there. Uncharted 4 was released on May 10, 2016, on PlayStation 4, which has won many awards including BAFTA Games Award for Best Game.

James Cooper who worked at both Naughty Dog, and Crytek, shares his thoughts on how Crysis level design and the environment were greatly helpful for Uncharted 4.

“Really excited to hear about Crysis Remastered, I have fond memories of working on the original console port,” Cooper said in his tweet. “Its sandbox approach to gameplay later became hugely influential on my ‘wide-linear’ level design in Uncharted 4 and beyond.”

In a subsequent tweet, Cooper said Crysis‘ core gameplay is “really strong” and that he’s surprised more shooters haven’t borrowed its formula.

Crysis really has the most realistc looking jungles imo

Pl9ydQe.jpg

DYyiTja.png

0j0i10k.png

e4fgvXd.png

cwgnpEX.png

Last edited:

GymWolf

On a graphic level maybe, but level design wise? eh...

One is basically a small open world with sandboxy gameplay, the other is a semi-linear game.

Even the forest zone that is kinda large in u4 still pale compared to the sheer amount of freedom and destruction of crysis.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Im replaying U4 right now. ND went way overboard with the landscapes.

Very beautiful and whatnot but the pace is awful.

It is like,
- how much climbing do you want?
- yes
Wait till you get to Scotland, oh boy, I quit after that level.

I can see the appeal of the game, but it sadly wasn't for me :(

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

One is basically a small open world with sandboxy gameplay, the other is a semi-linear game.

Even the forest zone that is kinda large in u4 still pale compared to the sheer amount of freedom and destruction of crysis.
When does Uncharted 4 open up a little? I picked it up for PC and after 2.5hours playtime I feel like I haven't even reached the gameplay sections, just cut scene followed by interactive cut scene followed by basically on rails climbing and repeat.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Pretty much. Lost Legacies open world section is probably the only one that comes close to a Crysis style level design and it's only level if you choose to explore it. Not a game that you look at and figure out how you want to approach the level.

kyliethicc

Im replaying U4 right now. ND went way overboard with the landscapes.

Very beautiful and whatnot but the pace is awful.

It is like,
- how much climbing do you want?
- yes
The reason for that is they had a climbing stamina mechanic in the works, (one with an actual fail state so if you took too long you would fall,) but cut it late in development because they couldn't get it to work right and still be fun.

But they didn't have enough time to redo all the levels so the long climbing sections unfortunately became too much without the new mechanics they had to scrap.

They only had 2 years to make the game.

The reason for that is they had a climbing stamina mechanic in the works, (one with an actual fail state so if you took too long you would fall,) but cut it late in development because they couldn't get it to work right and still be fun.

But they didn't have enough time to redo all the levels so the long climbing sections unfortunately became too much without the new mechanics they had to scrap.

They only had 2 years to make the game.
This mechanic was alright in I Am Alive but I wouldn't want it in other games. I'm fine with some timed or crumbling sections where you gotta plan and move fast but stamina is a bit too much.
PoP 2008 did it right IMO. Once you get past the initial areas it has platforming sections that can last up to a minute until a safe space to rest.

GymWolf

When does Uncharted 4 open up a little? I picked it up for PC and after 2.5hours playtime I feel like I haven't even reached the gameplay sections, just cut scene followed by interactive cut scene followed by basically on rails climbing and repeat.
There is the madagascar zone in the middle of the game and a pretty big combat arena in a jungle later in the game.

The game is a boring shitty paced piece of meh (imo) except when there is some combat, it get a little more action heavy in the last hours if i remember well.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Oof don't remind me of work, wall to wall Samsung-fanboys today. A guy had the same Samsung flagship model breakdown twice within a week of owning it and in the middle of my pitch to convert the sale he said "I appreciate what you're saying but I'll stick with the Samsung, they've never let me down":

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

I think if Smung pissed on his kids on Christmas day he'd still buy one.

Kerotan

I mean like developers in almost any job will be influenced by work they did in previous jobs or things they like.

There's a reason death stranding character movement is very similar to mgsv or the cutscene style. Many of the Devs worked on both.

In the end neither game are actually that similar.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Crysis' level design and its combat sandbox allowed for a good amount of gameplay approaches, with emergent scenarios coming out of it. It didn't always land, but overall I think it's a pretty good sandbox shooter. Feels almost Halo-esque in some respects, and can be replayed and played differently.

If the goal was to invoke Crysis' open approach in Uncharted 4, then they failed in a spectacular fashion. Uncharted 4 has exactly two ways to play: poorly implemented stealth and pedestrian cover-based shooter. The levels are little more than corridors that occasionally open up into a "big circle" with clearly laid out "move here to stealth" areas denoted. Player expression is virtually non-existent.

Crysis' level design and its combat sandbox allowed for a good amount of gameplay approaches, with emergent scenarios coming out of it. It didn't always land, but overall I think it's a pretty good sandbox shooter. Feels almost Halo-esque in some respects, and can be replayed and played differently.

If the goal was to invoke Crysis' open approach in Uncharted 4, then they failed in a spectacular fashion. Uncharted 4 has exactly two ways to play: poorly implemented stealth and pedestrian cover-based shooter. The levels are little more than corridors that occasionally open up into a "big circle" with clearly laid out "move here to stealth" areas denoted. Player expression is virtually non-existent.
At this point I personally believe studios like Naughty Dog are deliberately choosing to going out of they way to take advantage of retarded ass gamers to profit on their titles. These people at studios like this are smart enough to understand what you are explaining ZehDon, but they are making a choice to not solve the design problem.

Top Bottom