• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

United Nations warns that refugees may overwhelm Greek islands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valhelm

contribute something
lesbos.jpg

NYT reports that the island of Lesbos, whose population was 86,000 in 2011, has been accepting a growing amount of Syrian, Iraqi, and Afghan refugees, with 7,200 people arriving in May alone. United Nations refugee spokesperson Adrian Edwards insists that roughly 600 migrants now arrive in Greece's islands per day, and that the arrivals in Lesbos are “straining the island’s capacity, services and resources." The refugee agency believes that over 100,000 refugees have crossed the Mediterranean into Europe in 2015 alone and that this immigration has "created a crisis for the European Union".

Personally, I find it horrible that my country is refusing to accept any of these refugees. The United States is a geographically massive country with significant depopulated areas. Meanwhile, China has enormous ghost towns all across its landscape. To refuse these people is unthinkable, given how shit conditions back home are, but Western Europe clearly can't contain all of these people alone. What should be done about the Middle Eastern refugee crisis? Should these migrants be encouraged or forced back to their birth countries, or should Western governments allow them to stay?

Madness

Unchecked refugee migration will make quick work of any sort of meaningful immigration system. As inhumane as it sounds, the rate of migrants coming from the Mediterranean is unsustainable. I think Italy alone has like 150,000+ this year so far.

Saying oh there are ghost towns in China or depopulated areas in the US means what? Putting them there and then what? You're going to create a second class of citizenry that won't ever be able to be upwardly mobile. Just look at the lives of illegal Mexicans in the US compared to legal immigrants who come from India or China.

This is human nature at work. To go to better countries to provide better future for you or your children. Today it's western Europe and the USA. Tomorrow it will inevitably be India or China. I think India had already such a huge issue with Bangladeshi people coming into the state of Bengal in India, that they instituted shoot on sight near the borders.

sega4ever

no need to accept those migrants when the united states already has plenty from mexico plus central america. plus migrants from latin america already have cultures that are familiar to americans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom