• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
so, not counting various cuts and changes, what is there left where the show didn't catch up to the books yet? Right now I can only think of Kevan's and Pycelle's death, Sam arriving in Oldtown and presumably the Iron Islands plot

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
so, not counting various cuts and changes, what is there left where the show didn't catch up to the books yet? Right now I can only think of Kevan's and Pycelle's death, Sam arriving in Oldtown and presumably the Iron Islands

That's all I can recall either.

It's enough though that I remain convinced we're looking at ~25-28 more episodes and not 20.

Brakke

Banned
so, not counting various cuts and changes, what is there left where the show didn't catch up to the books yet? Right now I can only think of Kevan's and Pycelle's death, Sam arriving in Oldtown and presumably the Iron Islands plot

Arya warging Nymeria, slash training after her blindness.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
He had a noble cause. His character has no purpose now except for maybe revenge against Melisandre.
Book Stannis had a noble cause. But as D&D have argued, show Stannis is primarily motivated by ambition. Show Stannis's plot this season has been the classic tale of an ambitious man having everything taken from him and being humbled. Strangely enough, next season Show Stannis might be closer in characterization to book Stannis even though their plots are now entirely different.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Book Stannis had a noble cause. But as D&D have argued, show Stannis is primarily motivated by ambition. Show Stannis's plot this season has been the classic tale of an ambitious man having everything taken from him and being humbled. Strangely enough, next season Show Stannis might be closer in characterization to book Stannis even though their plots are now entirely different.

Please, no.

Ogimachi

He had a noble cause. His character has no purpose now except for maybe revenge against Melisandre.
If he's alive, his purpose remains the same. He's still king, and he'll fight to the bitter end and then some.
Plot-wise, and considering the context in the show, he'd still have a purpose as well. Unless Jon's parents are revealed right after the resurrection, the northmen could still have to fight for a king that will kill the Boltons, fight for the Starks and put them back in Winterfell.

Sansa knows Bran and Rickon are alive, so they won't fight for her as queen, and Jon will probably remain "Ned's bastard" for a while.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
So.

aXE9rN6_460sa_v1.gif

Aside from the first half, the last half was actually like the books. I await the new threads and changes in the season to come.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Okay so there was a season finale and all and stuff happened, but

WTF IS THIS I AM HEARING ABOUT THAT KIT CUT HIS HAIR NO WE KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS.

Wait, Benedict Cumberbatch! I couldn't sleep because of this! But I'm reading reports that his hair is just as long again already.

Ogimachi

The only reason I can think of to keep Stannis alive at this point is if him moving away from the Lord of Light and finding something else to fight for is where his story is going. Maybe he, Theon, and the Hound all team up to talk about how guilty they feel.

Also, as a counterpoint, Gwendoline Christie seems to believe she killed him in this interview: http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/15/game-thrones-brienne-stannis
I had the opposite impression. She never really mentions the act and when Stannis is brought up she mentions her oath to Cat. I think this guy could be right.

foxtrot3d

Banned
If he's alive, his purpose remains the same. He's still king, and he'll fight to the bitter end and then some.
Plot-wise, and considering the context in the show, he'd still have a purpose as well. Unless Jon's parents are revealed right after the resurrection, the northmen could still have to fight for a king that will kill the Boltons, fight for the Starks and put them back in Winterfell.

Sansa knows Bran and Rickon are alive, so they won't fight for her as queen, and Jon will probably remain "Ned's bastard" for a while.

So the same plot from last season? Nah.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Like everything relating to Dorne this season, I felt like Myrcella's death was poorly handled. She reconciles with Jaime, even going so far as to endorse his incestuous relationship with her mother, just moments before the poison kicks in and she dies? Talk about heavy-handed...

Mxrz

Arya's plot is a bit jumbled up. She had her sight back in the books, but she did the ship dude after that.

The poison kiss thing really was silly. That also would start a new war wouldn't it? Show Ellaria and the Sand Snakes are so dumb its ruining Pedro's stellar Oberyn by base association.

Varys being back and not killing Kevan isn't up to speed either. Unless that's out. Given the, I would think, coming war with Dorne, maybe they'll keep him around.

grandjedi6

Tyrion is stealing Selmy's plot.

Jaime and Sansa might be returning to their original plots.

Bran, Arya, Theon and Cersei have a small amount of plot still to go. Plus there are lots of subcharacters they could bring back.

It's so different to the books that it won't matter much to me either, even though having more Stephen Dillane is always a good thing. He did a fantastic job this season. Ideally speaking he'd be a serious contender for the supporting actor emmy award.

If Stannis lives, he'll probably be back with a vengeance, starting with Melisandre, but he won't have a family, let alone an army. They could make him rally the northeners as he did in ADWD, idk.
Dead Stannis is ok on its own as well. His arc would be complete and his terribly tragic ending would be fitting (again, on its own, not considering the book Stannis story).
I think dead Stannis makes the most sense theme wise for the show, even though I don't like it because they rushed a lot.

We have a man who chose his family over his duty as his first real act of being a leader, and his final act is choosing his duty over his family. Kind of poetic, I think.

duckroll

Jaime and Sansa might be returning to their original plots.

No way. There's nothing to return to. They've both gone so far off tangent that it's no longer possible for them to go in a different direction. Jaime will be dealing with a dead Myrcella and Cersei's trail, and his character still loves Cersei and won't abandon her. Completely different from the books. Sansa is now with Theon, she knows her brothers are alive, and soon everyone in the North will know that Sansa Stark is alive and on the run. Again, completely different from the books.

foxtrot3d

Banned
No way. There's nothing to return to. They've both gone so far off tangent that it's no longer possible for them to go in a different direction. Jaime will be dealing with a dead Myrcella and Cersei's trail, and his character still loves Cersei and won't abandon her. Completely different from the books. Sansa is now with Theon, she knows her brothers and soon everyone in the North will know that Sansa Stark is alive and on the run.are alive, Again, completely different from the books.

The North Forgets.

grandjedi6

Please, no.
Look into D&D's heart. You know it to be true.

Once Sansa tells LittleFinger about Rickon being alive, someone will be sent to find him and LF will use him to unite the North against the Boltons. In fact, with Theon likely heading to the Vale too, D&D could just give the rest of Stannis's plotline to LittleFinger outright.

Brakke

Banned
Like everything relating to Dorne this season, I felt like Myrcella's death was poorly handled. She reconciles with Jaime, even going so far as to endorse his incestuous relationship with her mother, just moments before the poison kicks in and she dies? Talk about heavy-handed...

I thought it played well with Ellaria being chill about Twincest the episode before. That seemed sincere. Killing Mycella wasn't personal re Jaime and it wasn't personal re Myrcella. Ellaria believes too strongly in family names, holding people she basically likes accountable for the sins of their father. It's a big theme in the show and the books, how much should a family name matter.

Joni

It was kinda boring and weird at times.
- The Dothraki army was coming from all sides, like they were homing in on Dany. That feels strange because they shouldn't know she is there.
- I'm fine with jumbling around the Arya plot, still makes sense.
- The walk of shame, they nailed it. They really nailed it. Too bad Robert Strong has a head.
- The Dorne plot is fucked up. Why waste time here? Also, Myrcella didn't die a queen...

Speevy

Banned
- The Dothraki army was coming from all sides, like they were homing in on Dany. That feels strange because they shouldn't know she is there.

I would have probably noticed a young woman riding a dragon.

Ogimachi

They aren't going to do the Battle of Winterfell 2.0 this time with extra Northmen and humbler Stannis.
Stannis or not, they still have to do a battle of Winterfell, or at the very least the battle of the Dreadfort.

Stannis is the rightful king and a pretty important player. Killing him off screen like this and before the books is a pretty big deal. I'm not entirely convinced he's alive, but there's much to suggest he is, and he could still have an important role.

They know what's next for him in the books, after all.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought it played well with Ellaria being chill about Twincest the episode before. That seemed sincere. Killing Mycella wasn't personal re Jaime and it wasn't personal re Myrcella. Ellaria believes too strongly in family names, holding people she basically likes accountable for the sins of their father. It's a big theme in the show and the books, how much should a family name matter.

I mean, Ellaria killing Myrcella fits with her motivations - I just thought it was cliched to have Myrcella reconcile with her father just moments before her death. "Hey dad/uncle I'm totes chill with you boning mom/aunt. The heart wants what it wa-ack I'm dying!"

Joni

I would have probably noticed a young woman riding a dragon.
But they are not actually converging on the dragon or his location. They're turning the back of their army to the dragon. I'd expect them to arrive in a line, heading for the dragon.

cersei's walk of shame and...that ending was done very well. the rest was whatever but i think they really adapted those major moments damn nicely.

it's going to feel so weird watching this show in the dark now.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Stannis or not, they still have to do a battle of Winterfell, or at the very least the battle of the Dreadfort.

Stannis is the rightful king and a pretty important player. Killing him off screen like this and before the books is a pretty big deal. I'm not entirely convinced he's alive, but there's much to suggest he is, and he could still have an important role.

They know what's next for him in the books, after all.

He's definitely alive I'm just not sure why. I doubt they need to do a Battle for Winterfell 2.0. Something else will happen.

And they just circled her. It was silly.

I just hate that she wasn't with her dragon. Again, they get the main bullet point, Dany meets a buncha Dothraki, and like last week, they miss all the context. Dany should be all Fire and Blood right now, but nope we need her to be a damsel for Jorah and Daario next season.
So that'll be fun.

Lothar

Banned

Of course Myrcella gets her first sweet scene where she's likable right before she dies. Just like Shireen got her first bonding moment with her father before she's burned to death by him. Walking Dead does the same type of thing. GoT writers are sadly on the WD level.

Speevy

Banned
Of course Myrcella gets her first sweet scene where she's likable right before she dies. Just like Shireen got her first bonding moment with her father before she's burned to death by him. Walking Dead does the same type of thing. GoT writers are sadly on the WD level.

Whenever any character in a show or movie says something that resolves any conflict they have now or in the future, either the show or movie has ended, or the character is going to die.

"Hacks!" *ring ring*
"Hacks!" *ring ring*

LordCanti

Presumably Littlefinger's Knights of the Vale do a little red wedding with the Boltons next season?

With Stannis completely defeated I can't imagine the Bolton's letting LF North of Moat Cailin with a sizable force. Even if they sailed to the North it's Winter now so the march to Winterfell would be ruinous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom