• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanke__

Here's the question, do you care about themes and characterization? Then yes, you are totally right.

Do you care about cool battles and shit? Then no, this show totally was better than the books because STUFF TOTALLY HAPPENED!!! All that books stuff wasn't endgame worthy anyhow.

Episode 8 just made me believe that the show could do both but obviously not

Burt

The inside HBO stuff made it pretty obvious that Stannis is alive and that Jon is coming back. Neither of them got separate videos like most major events/deaths do, while Myracella got one instead.

Also, they dance around saying Stannis is dead. Lots of talk about how he was ready to die and how Brienne came to kill him, but they never outright stated he was killed unlike Myracella and Jon. They even set up why Brienne would let him live by talking about how she expected a monster but found a broken man. Its the same thing they did last year with the Hound's "death".

So for the running tally:
  • To be resurrected: the Mountain, Jon Snow
  • Secretly Alive: The Hound, Stannis
  • Deader than Dead: Myracella, Stannis's wife, Ramsey's Lover
  • MIA: Everyone on Gendry's Boat tour of Westeros
  • LOL: Benjen

I dunno, I think Miranda might still be alright.

I liked this season fine but I think that the main issue was having to hurry some plots while stretching others while at the same time having to remove or reorganize a lot of the plots that treaded a lot of water like brienne, sansa, Jamie etc.

These were always going to be the hardest to adapt because of the lack of forward movement.

Maybe with the world building books out of the way they will do better with books that have more obvious signposts along the way

Lothar

Banned
It shows the lengths Stannis will go. It's not really that hard to understand. And it looks like it will happen in the books too.

Don't get this argument at all.

I think it shows that Stannis is an idiot. In the book, he was against burning people while they were starving in the snow because he said half his army was non-believers and they would abandon him. What happens in the show? He burns his daughter and half his army abandons him.

I don't know how it would be done in the books. I have to think it would be done better than that.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
The inside HBO stuff made it pretty obvious that Stannis is alive and that Jon is coming back. Neither of them got separate videos like most major events/deaths do, while Myracella got one instead.

They did, however, give Stannis' page on the official site an update claiming that Brienne killed him.

Zabka

If I remember the show correctly from that episode I wouldn't even bet that there were 200 people combined left. Also, they could've asked Jon to come in first, explain himself, then kill him. Instead, they let the gate wide open and allowed everyone through and then killed Jon like weeks later.

You think Jon would walk through that gate without the people he just went through hell to save?

From Jon's sit down with Sam it couldn't have been more than a day or two after he returned.

Brakke

Banned
So who's going to stop watching the show now?

I'm super curious about the dynamic for next season. Do we combine readers with Unsullied? Do we lose people entirely? I dunno! I'm in.

Never got five years into a thing and then left it, no matter where it went. Let the gods see my heart and judge me leal and loyal if nothing else.

Dunno, my best friend, who was an apologist for the season early on pretty much said he was done, which kinda surprised me. My roommate a show only guy, said pretty much "fuck it I'm out" because of Jon.

Honestly this season feels like the equivalent of True Blood's witch season. It was jsut bad all around with a few shining examples of competence.

BTW, what happened to Marg and Loras? They just dropped them.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I thought this was a great season. People are mad because something that took thousands and thousands of words to frame and build up to is being pared down to a best/worst of that feels like we're only getting the shocks.

I would only point out that both Dorne and the Iron Islands come out of fucking nowhere in the books. You're halfway through reading those chapters thinking wwwwwtf am I reading? Does nobody remember how looooooooooooooong it took to get to the point of Myrcella as prisoner? Or all the insanely detailed antics of the Iron Islands politicking? The even-more-heavy-handed-than-the-sparrows critique of religion?

Nobody?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm super curious about the dynamic for next season. Do we combine readers with Unsullied? Do we lose people entirely? I dunno! I'm in.
I've said it plenty of times, we should keep separate threads. There's too much bitching from readers for it not to totally ruin the thread for non-readers. Just ask Tabris.

Never got five years into a thing and then left it, no matter where it went. Let the gods see my heart and judge me leal and loyal if nothing else.
I did, Supernatural.

I think it shows that Stannis is an idiot. In the book, he was against burning people while they were starving in the snow because he said half his army was non-believers and they would abandon him. What happens in the show? He burns his daughter and half his army abandons him.

I don't know how it would be done in the books. I have to think it would be done better than that.

We'll have to wait and see although I don't share your confidence in the books after 4 and 5.

I wouldn't surprised if GRRM has him against burning people to help illustrate how dire the situation is when he inevitably turns to it to bail his army out. But just conjecture on my part. We'll see what happens.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I won't. It may piss me off, but I fucking love it when it does things right. Apart from Stannis dying, Jon's sudden death and cliffhanger, and Arya's cliffhanger I am pretty ok with this finale, even if it is the weakest.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Kit did an interview with EW saying that he "truly" is dead, I totally believe him:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/14/game-thrones-jon-dies-interview

EW said:
One thing actors get excited about after a long time on a show is they can change their appearance. Any plans to cut your hair?

I look like Jim Morrison right now. I don’t know what to do with it. I can cut it if I want, but it’s probably wise to leave long until I know what the next part is. I’ve kind of grown accustomed to it, it would feel weird to change it. [Note: Shortly after this interview was conducted, he cut it.]

Yeah sure, you're just leaving it grown out for that other TV/movie role that might require super long, unkempt hair.

I thought this was a great season. People are mad because something that took thousands and thousands of words to frame and build up to is being pared down to a best/worst of that feels like we're only getting the shocks.

I would only point out that both Dorne and the Iron Islands come out of fucking nowhere in the books. You're halfway through reading those chapters thinking wwwwwtf am I reading? Does nobody remember how looooooooooooooong it took to get to the point of Myrcella as prisoner? Or all the insanely detailed antics of the Iron Islands politicking? The even-more-heavy-handed-than-the-sparrows critique of religion?

Nobody?

More heavy handed than the sparrows? Please, the Sparrows of the show were FAR more ridiculous than the Sparrows of the book.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I've said it plenty of times, we should keep separate threads. There's too much bitching from readers for it not to totally ruin the thread for non-readers. Just ask Tabris.

I did, Supernatural.

To be fair that show should have ended at Season 5. Now it's being milked like a cow past her prime =(

Violet_0

Banned
GRRM, after reading the reactions to S5 of GoT
"You know what, I should rewrite the whole Stannis arc real quick." WoW release postponed to 2017 #TeamShireenlivesinthebooks

Probably got put on Gendry's boat.

17860740075_07a64f5913_z.jpg

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
K
Yeah sure, you're just leaving it grown out for that other TV/movie role that might require super long, unkempt hair.

Note the part in the quoted text about how he cut his hair shortly after the interview.

Still think he's coming back, of course, but do note that.

Nobody?

I don't get why people yearn for the kingsmoot and the machinations of Dorne. They were boring and a huge disappointment for a lot of readers.

D&D had the right ideas on strengthening the plot for TV but didn't execute very well. Hopefully WoW provides better source content for them to adapt.

Speevy

Banned
More heavy handed than the sparrows? Please, the Sparrows of the show were FAR more ridiculous than the Sparrows of the book.

I always thought from the show's portrayal that the religions were intended to give people comfort. Like they hope for bountiful harvests and healthy children.

Being saddled with more or less than same sins you find in the Christian faith threw me through a loop.

No, I'm absolutely with you.

Season 5 had some blatant problems, but I'll take it over AFFC/ADWD overall. 2015 was never going to be the best of Thrones.

Yup. I'm sure I'll appreciate them more on a reread but most of what I remember about AFFC was "well at least the cersei parts were good" and what I remember about ADWD was "Another Dany chapter? Fuck you"

Mrbob

I love the Kit hair watch. Is it long or short what does it mean? I doubt HBO will find a new actor and it is possible his look may change a little upon resurrection.

Brakke

Banned

Yeah. I mean it seems like the books and series are so distinct at this point though. Just ban anyone who pulls a #nooneunderstands lol that'll make both threads better.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck

I totally meant the Drowned God stuff was more heavy handed than the Sparrows' critique on religion. GRRM very much has a point to make alongside his realities-of-war stuff.

No, I'm absolutely with you.

Season 5 had some blatant problems, but I'll take it over AFFC/ADWD overall. 2015 was never going to be the best of Thrones.

Right, this is where I'm at too. If the show never existed people would still be pointing to the two books in question as where it went off the rails. But now that the show is attempting to adapt what we all consider a beautiful mess at best and a long, boring, complicated slog that doesn't advance the plot at worst ... it's like people are forgetting that this is actually a pretty decent job making that source material work.

Dorne was a problem but will probably pay off. The Iron Islands are going to be a train wreck but will probably pay off. Winterfell was cleaned up a bit and Ramsay looks godlike, Stannis' march was shortened but we can hand-wave most of those criticisms away.

I guess I don't see how most of these complaints don't start with the source material being a mess. Which most of us agree on.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I love the Kit hair watch. Is it long or short what does it mean? I doubt HBO will find a new actor and it is possible his look may change a little upon resurrection.

Well, resurrection sure seemed to change Berric quite a bit. His entire face, body, and hair color seemed to change. Odd.

Supposedly Kit was in Belfast and he told people not to take pics of him.

Here's a hint, I live in Belfast and met Kit and Rose yesterday. I asked to take a picture and he said .. He is forbidden to take pictures because the media can not know he is in Belfast. He hinted that it is because of name than happens in today's episode .. After all, what was he doing in town if Jon would not appear in the sixth season? .. Life is dark and full of spoilers guys.

z7lBgJ4.jpg

hydruxo

That EW interview is hilarious to me. It's so blatantly obvious that Kit was told to really sell the fact that "jon is dead for real guys!!!!".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom