• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty

Banned
It was also the best in the series.

jonsnowgif.gif

Hardhome was impressively choreographed, I could tell what was happening, who was where, there were tons of cool manoeuvres and they delivered important information just through action.

I just realized

During the Cersei scene they kept saying Shame

Shame stems from the Old English scamu. Scamu sounds like how an anime character would say scam.

Scam is what Jon is doing by pretending to be dead.

#JONLIVES

Speevy

Banned
I want a scene in which CG terminator Cersei walks to the red keep while Arya shouts "Oysters, clams, and cockles."

You look into the crowd but everyone is Olly.

She arrives and is greeted by Ramsay's 20 good men, and of course Robert Strong, who is also Ramsay.

Cersei looks at her son and doesn't know what to say to him. She sobs uncontrollably and finally musters the strength to rise from her knees.

"You want a good girl, but you need a bad pussy," she says.

Face Tyrell, having voluntarily completed the entire penance walk while singing in blissful ignorance of what has just transpired, nods to Cersei.

Brienne looks at the castle from a distance.

*credits*

Lothar

Banned
I want Myrcella to be alive more than Jon. Is there any hope that Trystane has some antidote on him?

She only had her ear cut off in the books. If they were going to have her dead in the book, that would be the time to do it.

So, is Stannis dead?

Is Myrcella dead?

I don't know how I feel about those things

Stannis is confirmed dead in various interviews.
Myrcella is probably dead too.

I want Myrcella to be alive more than Jon. Is there any hope that Trystane has some antidote on him?

She only had her ear cut off in the books. If they were going to have her dead in the book, that would be the time to do it.

Remember that Myrcella has to die anyway. Maggy the Frog's prophecy said that Cersei will outlive all 3 of her children.

Speevy

Banned

Anything GRRM does small, D&D do big. Anything GRRM does big, D&D do small.

Brakke

Banned
Seriously people wanted to make the argument that when something is too obvious it won't happen.

These guys aren't M Night Shyamalan. If something is too obvious it quacks like a motherfucking duck as well. Then it gets roasted.

Easy to sound all righteous and brave about it *atter* the fact, with nothing on the line. #teamyoulooklikeadogbutyouareascardeycat

Easy to sound all righteous and brave about it *atter* the fact, with nothing on the line. #teamyoulooklikeadogbutyouareascardeycat

Come on, never heard of Chekhov's Gun?
It was so obvious Olly was gonna go stabby. Same with Brienne getting to kill Stannis.

Valhelm

contribute something
Something tells me we're going to see Stephan Dillane again, although I doubt he'll have much in common with the Stannis we know.

All those bodies, so close to the Wall...

Lothar

Banned
Remember that Myrcella has to die anyway. Maggy the Frog's prophecy said that Cersei will outlive all 3 of her children.

Prophecy doesn't always come true. Dany's baby was supposed to be the stallion that mounts the world.

I hate prophecies so I hope they never come true. Cersei dooming herself because of a bullshit prophecy would be less lame than her being predestined to fail.

Speevy

Banned
Prophecy doesn't always come true. Dany's baby was supposed to be the stallion that mounts the world.

I hate prophecies so I hope they never come true. Cersei dooming herself because of a bullshit prophecy would be less lame than her being predestined to fail.

Well that's pretty much exactly what happened. The sand snakes would have failed to capture Myrcella in the water gardens without Jaime or Bronn, and probably would have demanded the same loyalty.

Myrcella would have stayed in Dorne under heavy guard, never to come into contact with them again.

Jaime's presence made the whole thing a diplomatic affair instead of a case of criminals trying to commit a criminal act.

I made it clear that I was team olly kills plenty of times I just wasn't going to bet an avatar on it, that's just silly.

Folks saying "leave him alone he just misses his ma and da" don't realize that prior to the wildlings coming, Olly was gonna stab them

Is the hound officially dead?

No. In the novels he's likely the gravesdigger that Brienne notices during her adventures.

In the show though at this rate, he'll be alive and a werewolf.

What if Jon's last words were "Olly."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wargs into OIly. Not knowing what to do with the overwhelming urge to stab himself, Olly then runs to Melissandre who burns them for the red god, ending the war.

Speevy

Banned
If they're ever going to end the Boltons' reign over Winterfell, either the whitewalkers are gonna have to it, or a welcomed guest will have to do it.

Brakke

Banned
I made it clear that I was team olly kills plenty of times I just wasn't going to bet an avatar on it, that's just silly.

Folks saying "leave him alone he just misses his ma and da" don't realize that prior to the wildlings coming, Olly was gonna stab them

Hehehe. Alls I'm saying is no guts no glory.

Antagon

Well, that was a pretty mixed episode. They nailed Cersei's walk, I liked Stannis already being defeated before he got to winterfell and 'for the watch', but pretty much everything else was terrible.

-Did the Bolton army leave Stannis alive after the battle? I mean, sure, there were two people who tried to kill him (and somehow a hurt Stannis won the battle from them...) but where did all the other soldiers go? And cutting away just when Brienne is about to hit Stannis is pretty lame. Plus the fact that the show just had to make it so that Brienne could get her revenge. Just too much coincidence.

- Did Arya just turn into a psychopath? I mean, I know she wants revenge, but this was just unnecessarily cruel. And when did she learn to change faces?

- I kinda liked Sansa at least trying to get some handle on her faith by telling Myranda to kill her, but the jump didn't work. In the books Jeyne survives because of piled up snow. But all the snow just melted away because of Melisandre and you didn't see any piles of snow outside of the walls when the camera panned either... Are Arya and Theon supposed to be dead? Don't really believe that.

- That Myrcella and Jamie scene was just cringeworthy. And her dying right after?

If they're ever going to end the Boltons' reign over Winterfell, either the whitewalkers are gonna have to it, or a welcomed guest will have to do it.

I think it's going to be the white walkers that get the Boltons. Just because I think the final battle with them will take place around King's Landing, and they'll have to roll over a few armies on the way to build hype.

Antagon

I think it's going to be the white walkers that get the Boltons. Just because I think the final battle with them will take place around King's Landing, and they'll have to roll over a few armies on the way to build hype.

Nah. The series is just going to end with the white walkers riding up to winterfell and then a cut to the white walker king being flayed by Ramsay.

-Deimos

I can finally stop avoiding this thread. Good finale.

Wait so which team won? I mean, Olly got a stab in but he was already dead at that point.

Oh yeah and the Stannis stuff...I don't know what to think about it.

How many instances have there been in the show where an off-screen death turned out to be an actual death?

In terms of major characters, the first ones that come to mind are Ned and The Hound. King Robert was seen dying in bed, but the actual death was off-screen.

Grenn was killed by a giant defending the wall. We saw them charge, but not the actual death. Not a major character, though.

Speevy

Banned
I found her aimlessly wandering around the castle during the battle preparations really odd. Then she heads to the ramparts for some reason where Miranda was expecting her with her bow cocked. wat?

What happened to the Winterfell tunnels?

Those northerners know their castles better than those northerners.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That depends on whether you mean seeing the body or seeing the death blow.
Either one.
In terms of major characters, the first ones that come to mind are Ned and The Hound. King Robert was seen dying in bed, but the actual death was off-screen.

Grenn was killed by a giant defending the wall. We saw them charge, but not the actual death. Not a major character, though.
Ned didn't die offscreen though. You could clearly see the sword slice partway through his neck.

Robert - okay, but he was pretty clearly a goner.

Grenn - you see his dead body later, but yeah, I guess technically that does answer my question in the way I phrased it.

I guess the point of my question is - is this the first time they're pulling the old "ambiguous off-screen death fakeout" card? Or have they used it before?

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
They cut to Arya's face. The actual strike was not shown, but his body was seen in the next ep.

There's a huge difference between Ned's and Stannis' "death" scene. there's no way Ned's is ambiguous, it's a sword coming down right above his head.

You could cut the scene in season 2 with ygritte and Jon and make it look exactly like Stannis and Brienne.

Either one.

Ned didn't die offscreen though. You could clearly see the sword slice partway through his neck.

Robert - okay, but he was pretty clearly a goner.

Grenn - you see his dead body later, but yeah, I guess technically that does answer my question in the way I phrased it.

I guess the point of my question is - is this the first time they're pulling the old "ambiguous off-screen death fakeout" card? Or have they used it before?

Not that I remember. Every death has been pretty clear even when not shown. That's what bothers me about the finale. We had 3 characters appear to die, without actually seeing it.

Jon was stabbed, but they left him bleeding in the snow. Melisandre, Davos, Edd, etc. could find and help him still.

Myrcella is likely dead, but they only showed the beginning of her being poisoned. They easily could have extended to make it clear she died.

Stannis seemed to be done for, but they cut away. They've been building up Brienne's revenge since S2 and it's disappointing to just end it without showing his death or her reaction. I'm not sure what they could do with Stannis anymore since he has no Melisandre, family, or army. Why not just show her reaction to the kill?

Speevy

Banned
Well, all extras who died during a battle clash slaughter, such as Stannis' army X 2 (lol), the Moat Cailin ironmen, the northmen killed at Harrenhaal, the Lannisters killed in the north/Riverlands, red wedding soldiers, the wildlings and NW men killed by wights and whitewalkers, etc.

As for named characters that actually died off screen, Stannis Baratheon, Selyse Baratheon, Khal Head in a Bag, Syrio Forell, Jon Arryn, Benjen Stark possibly, Ros although you see her body, Xaro Xhoan and the whore traitor in their vault. I'm sure there are more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom