• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
I'm in the Stannis is still alive camp.

Brienne chops a tree, picks up Stannis and puts him on a horse, rides off. Merry adventure full of stoicism and talks of honor.

Sansa and Theon meet up with the who hell knows and find Rickon.

Crisco

Banned
Anyone with a girlfriend/wife knows how most people watch this show. They are generally doing something else on their phones or laptops until there is nudity or violence on the screen. So yeah, D&D is definitely playing to that demographic to a certain degree.

The realisation that everything Melisandre told you was a farce and you allowed people to be burned alive. Including the daughter you refused to be abandoned with the stonemen

9FJu43F.jpg

#StillTheKingofMyHeart
#StannisStillLives
#IForgiveYou
#StillLoyal

:(

T_T

Nodnol

Just watched, great finally.

Certainly a massive tease, but I can dig that because I can't wait for season 6 now. So it worked.

For The Watch was well done, but it's a cruel way to leave it. Should have ended on his eyes turning white and Ghost or something.

Anyone with a girlfriend/wife knows how most people watch this show. They are generally doing something else on their phones or laptops until there is nudity or violence on the screen. So yeah, D&D is definitely playing to that demographic to a certain degree.

That's how people watch TV shows.

cj_iwakura

Cornballer(or any mod) so it's a certainty the book/no book separation will stay for Season 6? Can't we just have a spoiler book speculation rule?

Unless of course TWOW comes out by then. I feel like we're all in the same boat, apart from people who are alive in the books. Seems like show readers know more than we do.

DueFiumi

Neo Member
Stephen Dilane killed it this season. Honestly my favorite actor of the series. Kit was great too. So sad they're gone :(

I wouldn't have an issue with Jon being dead, seemed reasonably clear cut. Stannis was the more ambiguous one but I'm happy to go with him being dead too.

I can't see them killing Jon off. The Wall should be an important aspect of the final two seasons, and with Sam off to Old Town, Jon is the only character the show follows that is there (unless Davos takes the black).

The truth behind Jon's birth should factor in at some point in the series, it wouldn't mean anything if he's already dead. It felt like Stannis was doomed for the entire episode, but with them cutting away before Brienne finished it, I'm not fully convinced.

Speevy

Banned
I was just thinking that if Sansa truly did escape, the Boltons need her back badly.

What if they did Jeyne Poole after all that? lol

Crisco

Banned
Seriously guys, Kit was on Kimmel a few nights before before the season finale wearing his full Jon Snow facial hair and flowing locks. He's not done with that character, no one will look like that by choice lol

kGCSX6Y.gif

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I was just thinking that if Sansa truly did escape, the Boltons need her back badly.

You mean there's a way of making sansa's storyline even WORSE?
It's already completely pointless, sans giving the actress something to do.

Speevy

Banned
The night's watch burn every body, so the only way for Jon to survive as Jon Snow is for someone to steal his body.

Real Hero

the lack on tension in mereen compared to the books after dany leaves is amazing. Dany flies off an Barristan has to deal with both carrying out a coup and dealing with the siege. The shows has the gang sitting around cracking wise

mantidor

I wouldn't put it pass D&D, another opportunity for more gruesome rape and violence? Let's bring in fake Arya! And make Sansa's torture even more inconsequential!

The night's watch burn every body, so the only way for Jon to survive as Jon Snow is for someone to steal his body.

I wouldn't be surprised if Melisandre gets to him and either saves or resurrects him. I can't think of another reason for the show to put her at The Wall. She can't join, Davos is no friend of hers, and it isn't exactly the safest location for anyone right now.

Speevy

Banned
the lack on tension in mereen compared to the books after dany leaves is amazing. Dany flies off an Barristan has to deal with both carrying out a coup and dealing with the siege. The shows has the gang sitting around cracking wise

To be fair, every episode needs down moments and we do need some exposition to figure out what has all happened in Meereen.

Moff

as I have said earlier this season
in the books, jon might be revived in another body as azor ahai, maybe even after a long time.
but there is no way that this is happening in the show, there is no way they will discard kit harrington, they would alienate too large a portion of the female audience, not gonna happen. he might chill for a few episodes in ghost, but he will be revived as soon as possible, in his own body. melisandre is already back at the wall.

Enosh

Cool. He could be an interesting antagonist in the marvelous adventures of the unbeatable Ramsay Snow.
we've already agreed* that he looses to Ramsay at the siege of oldtown and then gets killed by Brienne for some Renly related reason

we didn't

Ratrat

I like how Season 5 opened with Littlefinger telling Sansa that she’s been a “bystander to tragedy” and needs to “stop running” and “avenge them”, which leads to: sulking at Winterfell doing nothing, then being raped and abused for a while, failing on two different occasions to run away, and then successfully running away after being rescued by somebody else. Why, it’s almost like this whole plot was nothing but a ridiculous fig leaf to have Sansa replace Jeyne Poole.
And people were so intent on defending it. Bu..ut wait till next episode! I'm sure it's not going to be exactly like Jeyne Poole!

Showaddy

To be fair, every episode needs down moments and we do need some exposition to figure out what has all happened in Meereen.

What exactly is happening in Mereen with Hizdahr getting stabbed? I figured we'd get some sort of master plan reveal from him.

And people were so intent on defending it. Bu..ut wait till next episode! I'm sure it's not going to be exactly like Jeyne Poole!
It's really hilarious honestly. People were so sure that a Stark in Winterfell mattered or how it would create more story potential with her being there ignoring who the show runners are.

Lol

Who cares if Stannis is alive? He lost at Winterfell, meaning he'll lose in the books too. (changing that would make no sense, no matter how hard fans try to rationalize things will be different in the books).

He's lost all dignity and that air of perfection and legitimacy he had. This is uber depressing.

To think this is just the tip of the iceberg. From this point forward, the show will be 100% spoilers galore.

Monocle

I'm in the Stannis is still alive camp.

Brienne chops a tree, picks up Stannis and puts him on a horse, rides off. Merry adventure full of stoicism and talks of honor.

Sansa and Theon meet up with the who hell knows and find Rickon.
For some reason I didn't think of this, and I love it. Those two characters would be so interesting to watch together, after everything that's happened.

I also want Stannis to meet Melisandre one last time. She'd be all like "The Lord of Light works in mysterious ways, lol." Right before rezzed Jon, her new favorite, cuts him down.

I wish they said for the greater good instead of for the watch.

Ok,I have no idea how they will handle the burning in the book. It will almost need to be Mel taking the wife and kid out to meet Stannis, only to return by herself after the burning? That is going to be an interesting read to see how it unfolds.

DueFiumi

Neo Member
I just have to say that Elio's reaction to Linda saying Dany's last chapter in DwD is her favorite chapter of the book is fucking brilliant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzmpxuDqt9A It's around 45:30
Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was shitting brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew,

I wouldn't put it pass D&D, another opportunity for more gruesome rape and violence? Let's bring in fake Arya! And make Sansa's torture even more inconsequential!
That's when Theon doubles back just in time to witness Jeyne suffering awful shit. He realizes this is bad and grows back as a human being looking for redemption. Deep stuff.

Alternatively, when they jumped, he landed on Sansa and broke her back. While paraplegic Sansa is tortured and abused, Theon gathers an army to take Winterfell back and finally redeem himself.

Edit: yeah, I wish this had ended on Dany taking runny shits in the bushes.

Monocle

I wish they said for the greater good instead of for the watch.

Ok,I have no idea how they will handle the burning in the book. It will almost need to be Mel taking the wife and kid out to meet Stannis, only to return by herself after the burning? That is going to be an interesting read to see how it unfolds.
Yeah, the Watch is literally a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

"For the honor of our brotherhood of rapists and murderers!"

Who cares if Stannis is alive? He lost at Winterfell, meaning he'll lose in the books too. (changing that would make no sense, no matter how hard fans try to rationalize things will be different in the books).

He's lost all dignity and that air of perfection and legitimacy he had. This is uber depressing.

There's only one thing left for him to do. Take the black and become Lord Commander of the watch. He's the perfect fit and the only man who can rebuild the Night's Watch into a force to protect the realm in the long run. Maybe not quick enough for this fight against the White Walkers, but in the long run.

Speevy

Banned
There's only one thing left for him to do. Take the black and become Lord Commander of the watch. He's the perfect fit and the only man who can rebuild the Night's Watch into a force to protect the realm in the long run. Maybe not quick enough for this fight against the White Walkers, but in the long run.

What is the long run if everyone is dead?

Crisco

Banned
I wonder how much of the saltiness over this finale are just Stannis fans who are pissed he doesn't "win"? Get over it, the dude was a jackass from the start who murdered his brother with an evil shadow baby instead of consolidating forces to defeat their common foe. While he justified his actions through talk of duty and justice, he was really just your average military despot who thought might = right. He was bitter about being passed over by his brothers for what he (and only he) felt was his birthright and would stop at nothing (even sacrificing his own daughter, apparently) to claim it. He's basically who Tywin Lannister would have become had he not been the firstborn.

I tend to think that this thread is incredibly nitpicky of the show (which makes a lot of mistakes / bad choices / annoying fanservice).

But GOD did they fuck up Stannis' arc. To it come to end so abruptly, so pathetically. I don't know. I don't know.

At the same time if the pink letter is the end of Stannis' arc in the book, it would about as abrupt, but Stannis always felt less important of a character in the book.

Kusagari

Another season of fun time with Ramsay as he tortures a defenseless female and continues to succeed at everything?

Sounds great to me!

Sean C

I wonder how much of the saltiness over this finale are just Stannis fans who are pissed he doesn't "win"? Get over it, the dude was a jackass from the start who murdered his brother with an evil shadow baby instead of consolidating forces to defeat their common foe.
Renly didn't want to do that either.

Maffis

The part with Arya was pretty well done. Was definitely not expecting the face-swapping to be sheats of... something? Was imagining more of pure weird magic.

Also, ending with Jon's death like that is definitely a cruel blow to the audience. I am pretty sure he will get resurrected right after but the audience will probably soon just say fuck it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom