• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 Demo - 4 years later...

Mobilemofo

I get the impression that unreal engine 5 is heavy for current consoles. Nanite and lumen tech really make these consoles sweat. Shouldn't the engines be built for the generation of consoles/pcs ?

bbeach123

Lords Of The Fallen 2 looks close enough to the demos, and this is a comparatively/relatively "low budget" game from a less seasoned developer. These aren't even the most impressive locations, I didn't realize NG+ wiped your vanilla save, so I can't cap the best stuff. RAW PC maxed:

Impressed model but terrible wash out lighting , its like a picture taken with film camera by me .

JackMcGunns

One is a quick showcase demo, the other a full fledged game.

Hellblade has very little going on. Fact.
It partially looks so good due to that. Fact.

Nothing wrong with either of those things and it’s not exactly a bad thing to lose out to a careful crafted, showcase tech demo.

Hellbalde 2 looks good because the developers (with the help of UE5) are putting time and money to carefully craft an excellent looking game. It's a good showcase of what can be achieved with UE5. I don't think anyone said it looks every bit as impressive as the original tech demo, but it is impressive enough to be a tech demo of its own, despite being a full fledged game and not a glorified FLY-BY demo with no collision detection, AI or gameplay.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
If it doesn't get cancelled. I agree!
the office no GIF

Audiophile

Said it in the graphics thread but I consider UE5 as effectively having been in 'beta' until 5.4. Games maintaining even passable image quality and performance while providing the flagship features (lumen and/or nanite); have been extremely rare. Only now with 5.4 forward does it seem like these things can be done in a performant manner.

It's worth noting that UE4 was very ambitious before PS4/X1 released but pretty much dropped major features out of the gate. It's taken half a generation but at least this time the features have stuck around and been optimised; and are finally looking viable. The extended cross-gen period really dampened things too. I think going into the second half of this gen (especially with PS5 Pro) as well as PS6/UE6, this stuff is gonna get really impressive.

Xdrive05

5.4 looks to be the fulfillment of this promise at long last. Now when will games built with 5.4 from the beginning show up? Who knows...

cireza

and Remnant 2 ,Lords of the Fallen, Immortals of Aveum, Brothers, Jusant.... as well as a multitude of announced or shortly realeasing games like Hellblade 2 or Wukong.

You have no idea what you are talking about, just accept it.
Awesome. They will all continue that amazing trend of UE games wasting more resources to not be better.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Hellbalde 2 looks good because the developers (with the help of UE5) are putting time and money to carefully craft an excellent looking game. It's a good showcase of what can be achieved with UE5. I don't think anyone said it looks every bit as impressive as the original tech demo, but it is impressive enough to be a tech demo of its own, despite being a full fledged game and not a glorified FLY-BY demo with no collision detection, AI or gameplay.
I didn’t say that they did. The game’s cinematic/linear structure allows them to push those kinds of visuals. It’s their style.

We’re saying the exact same thing.

Last edited:
People need to understand that Tech Demos are not representative of real-time graphics outside of a controlled environment.

Matt_Fox

EVERY tech demo trailer was over the top and none of the games ever looked even close to that in the same generation.

The difference is this one was presented as a 'playable' game not just an FMV cut scene.

But yep I guess your point still stands as 4 years later and we're still not close!

cireza

So we went from

to this.

You`re quite an idiot, aren`t you?
And here come the insults. Can't accept UE being criticized ?

This engine is the worst thing that happened to modern gaming. Nanite is barely starting to be used after all this time, and to what gain ? There are more gains at using a purpose built, lightweight engine without all the shit that UE comes with.

Schmendrick

And here come the insults. Can't accept UE being criticized ?
You claim the tech will never be used...then I gave examples of the tech already being in use and suddenly you are just critizing.
Either you have some kind of short term memory issue, in which case I offer my condolences, or you are some stupid kid who simply can`t accept not being right despite being proven wrong.

Of course no game was going to use this.
Nanite is barely starting to be used after all this time
Comedy gold.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

I didn’t say that they did. The game’s cinematic/linear structure allows them to push those kinds of visuals. It’s their style.

We’re saying the exact same thing.

Not exactly. By saying "The only reason" HB2 looks good... diminishes the effort, the budget, the talent and the goals of the developer.

cireza

You claim the tech will never be used...then I gave examples of the tech already being in use and suddenly you are just critizing.
Either you have some kind of short term memory issue or you are some kid who simply can`t accept not being right despite proven wrong.
Nanite didn't really take the world by storm, otherwise I think more people would be aware of the tremendous improvements it led to in games.

Clever edit removing the insult. So now I am not a giant turd anymore but simply a kid ?

Do you call your own kid a giant turd when you tell him something he wasn't aware of ?

Last edited:

Schmendrick

Nanite didn't really take the world by storm, otherwise I think more people would be aware of the tremendous improvements it lead to in games.
Nanite hasn`t even been available for a full dev cycle yet. What its impact will be remains to be seen.

Anyhow, the point stands that UE5`s Nanite and Lumen are already in use in released and unreleased projects, which irrefutably labels your initial statement in this thread "Fake news".

onQ123

That jaw dropping Unreal Engine 5 Demo trailer is four years old this month. It presented a Tomb Raider style world, with incredible lighting, physics, fluidity and graphics.

It was the trailer that gave everyone hope that the next gen consoles, releasing later that year, would bring the wow factor.

Four years on and... apart from thinking time flies I'm really not sure what to make of it. Empty promises?

NRyscsW.png

No one is willing to make 500GB games because of Storage prices

I think some games we have today have reached this level of fidelity but remember this was advertised in 2013 for PS4. No way we got lighting and skin texture this good for that generation. To me an even bigger giveaway is the fact that characters still have somewhat slow body language movements. In this tech trailer, the characters are waving their hands around very fast or like in real life when someone gets angry. I am yet to see a game make movements look this believeable, its always some long exposed swing of one arm to the side etc.

Matt_Fox Matt_Fox

The problem is all those demos are made as one singular playground. So they can make it work for those 5-10 minutes but then to build the whole game around that, having 10s / 100s of NPC on screen at any time, weather effects etc that just bogs down any potential. All these tech demos are very small worlds with minimum NPCs in the background or much stuff that theres no memmory problems. If they built the whole thing Id say they wouldnt be able to keep up those graphics for the full game in order to everything run perfectly.

Last edited:

Ribi

"unreal engine 5 release date" in Google.

April 2022

Unreal Engine is written in C++ and features a high degree of portability, supporting a wide range of desktop, mobile, console, and virtual reality platforms. The latest generation, Unreal Engine 5, was launched in April 2022.

Unreal Engine 5 was available to developers in April 2022. Thats two years till today. Are we expecting AAA games developed for Next Gen in 2 years?

Hogwarts Legacy developed in Unreal Engine 4 = 5 years in development.

Star Wars Jedi Survivor - Unreal Engine 4 = 4 years in development.
It's transferable tho. All the work in 4 can mostly be ported to 5

iHaunter

Matrix Awakens was more impressive tbh.
Given that average AAA open world game takes 5 years to develop, I am not too surprised we have not seen too many UE5 visual showcase games.
But Robocop Rogue City looks fantastic, to point out one.
Horizon Forbidden West looked incredible... What're people yammering on about.

Seider

It's transferable tho. All the work in 4 can mostly be ported to 5
Thats like beginning a game in Ps4 and then port ir to Ps5.

Thats not a native Next Gen development. That way you wont get Matrix Demo level of quality in your game.

mrqs

Pipelines takes a loooooong time to optimize and update. Games that started dev 4 or 3 years ago haven't even come out yet, not the big ones. We'll see more of that in the next few years.

AAAA gaming is not sustainable, hopefully something comes up to speedup development.

Sokka

Pipelines takes a loooooong time to optimize and update. Games that started dev 4 or 3 years ago haven't even come out yet, not the big ones. We'll see more of that in the next few years.

AAAA gaming is not sustainable, hopefully something comes up to speedup development.

Generative AI should be a huge help to speed up the pipelines.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm currently playing Jedi Survivor and holy shit, it looks pretty similar lots of the time, but with clearly not that much geometry, world looks way more static, but lighting and textures are so good it looks borderline photorealistic too many times, easily the best looking game I've seen so far this gen, save for AW2 which I haven't played... I guess Respawn can get even closer or even match that tech demo on UE5 (I guess it would run like dog shit even more tho)

I'm currently playing Jedi Survivor and holy shit, it looks pretty similar lots of the time, but with clearly not that much geometry, world looks way more static, but lighting and textures are so good it looks borderline photorealistic too many times, easily the best looking game I've seen so far this gen, save for AW2 which I haven't played... I guess Respawn can get even closer or even match that tech demo on UE5 (I guess it would run like dog shit even more tho)

No doubt. Jedi Survivor is one of the few games that actually feels "next gen" because it's got RT gi, shadows, and reflections and nice tesselation. Good lighting and depth to the environments. Actually using new graphical features unlike most games this gen.

amigastar

I think some games we have today have reached this level of fidelity but remember this was advertised in 2013 for PS4. No way we got lighting and skin texture this good for that generation. To me an even bigger giveaway is the fact that characters still have somewhat slow body language movements. In this tech trailer, the characters are waving their hands around very fast or like in real life when someone gets angry. I am yet to see a game make movements look this believeable, its always some long exposed swing of one arm to the side etc.

Matt_Fox Matt_Fox

The problem is all those demos are made as one singular playground. So they can make it work for those 5-10 minutes but then to build the whole game around that, having 10s / 100s of NPC on screen at any time, weather effects etc that just bogs down any potential. All these tech demos are very small worlds with minimum NPCs in the background or much stuff that theres no memmory problems. If they built the whole thing Id say they wouldnt be able to keep up those graphics for the full game in order to everything run perfectly.

I feel Marvel 1943 will be one of the first games to come close ot this demo.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Matrix Awakens was more impressive tbh.
Given that average AAA open world game takes 5 years to develop, I am not too surprised we have not seen too many UE5 visual showcase games.
But Robocop Rogue City looks fantastic, to point out one.
Yes it does.. and even so its not something that will blow anyones mind ... people need to stop with this "next gen game" thing ... gens really are a thing of the past.. we entered the age of diminishing returns ... graphics can improve in some areas but is not going to take big leaps anymore until some revolutionary technology is invented... and is not some marginally better resolution, some reflexes on puddles or a little better sun lightning that is going to dramatically change this.

Games are a escapism, something fun to do and it should not imho strive for this photorealism reality thing .... as it is AAA games take too long and are too expensive to make ...

Robocop looked pretty... wish they have spent more time on the awful cringe dialogs, the brain dead AI and repetitive gameplay. Instead of making the water in the street more reflective.

DaGwaphics

Biggest issues seems to have been the fact that the engine pushed further than hardware (console), which has lead to some low resolutions that hurt clarity. The Matrix demo still provides a great snapshot of things to come from it, the lighting and level of detail in the city presented there is something else.

I mean we are all talking about older tech demos but at least on paper, U5 has some smart solutions for a game to look massive without as much horsepower needed. But yes, for now, most U5 games I have seen are some indie titles, definately not pushing the graphic fidelity.

Top Bottom