• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unreal Engine 5 demo runs better on laptops than on the PS5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Gorgeous tech demo runs just fine on PCs after all, who'd have guessed?
Big surprise there, More info at this link.

The laptop in question is no slouch mind, featuring an Nvidia RTX 2080 graphics card and a 970 Evo Plus.

Getting pretty tired of bullshit PR .
But that seems the norm these days. Reminded me of that killzone 2 stuff. (They came close but never nailed it)
What is the point of doing this when you know the truth comes out later anyway.
Oh well.

Seems like TIM Sweeney says it still is true.
Can't wait to test this on pc's when we all get the demo/

Journey

Banned
mSFXk2a.gif

LordOfChaos

Did I miss where they said it wouldn't run better on high end PCs?

What I got was, here's a demo, it's a video from a PS5 dev kit, it's impressive. Yes Tim was praising the system, and that the storage system was ahead of PCs, but not the above. It's a demo with a single platform partner at the moment, I'm not sure why everyone is losing their hair over this.

This has already been responded to as well, 40fps on the PC doesn't mean it could lock 30 either. We still don't really know if it can run it better or not until all NDAs are lifted, the article's basis is a poor translation and misunderstanding.

Last edited:
I posted this in the spec thread and UE5 demo thread earlier. It seems kinda clickbaity and a rehash of stuff we have gone over the past few days so I wasn't sure if I should make a thread for it.

Definitely an article title aimed to get clicks

He basically goes over the Epic China leak/interview that we have been debating/speculating about the last few days.

This escalated after an interview with an engineer from Epic China (which has since been taken down) revealed that the demo seen running on the PS5 ran just as well on a laptop. In fact the PC reportedly ran the demo better, with the PS5 managing 30fps at 1440p while the laptop hit 40fps at the same resolution. The laptop in question is no slouch mind, featuring an Nvidia RTX 2080 graphics card and a 970 Evo Plus.

article ends with

It's worth reiterating that the Unreal Engine 5 is cross-platform, and it'll run on the Xbox Series X, the PlayStation 5, and on PCs when it is finally released. So all of this spear waving is essentially pointless anyway, but we wouldn't want simple facts to get in the way of tribalism.

Sooner than later I gotta think we will get a head-to-head-to-head direct comparison of the demo running on all platforms to settle it once and for all

What I got was, here's a demo, it's a video from a PS5 dev kit, it's impressive. Yes Tim was praising the system, and that the storage system was ahead of PCs, but not the above.

This has already been responded to as well

The author of the article uses the "laptop ran it at higher FPS than PS5 demo" for its "runs better on laptop" basis.

I dunno what is true or not, at this point, honestly

Last edited:

Video 125 minutes-128 minutes:

epic engineer: "Is it necessary to SSD, of course not!"

Asked: "About I / O speed, I heard that the PS5 SSD can reach 8G per second, where does this data come from? , Is it true? "

Epic:" I don't know "the
questioner snickered:" I heard rumors outside "

epic:" This should be asked by Sony ... it shouldn't be asked at our event "

Epic:"? is not necessarily be so fast in order to show the demo we have just seen it in fact you carefully analyze ........ so do not need so demanding SSD environments (laughs) to "Run this demo"

It was a mistranslation and it was pulled

Video was pulled because they breached NDA, and spoke about performance of other hardware outside of ps5. And it looks bad on Sweeny, as he made it seem like the demo needed a next gen SSD, and the developers who worked on the engine themselves, said you DON'T need a next gen SSD. Current ones are fine.

Tomeru

What I got was, here's a demo, it's a video from a PS5 dev kit, it's impressive. Yes Tim was praising the system, and that the storage system was ahead of PCs, but not the above. It's a demo with a single platform partner at the moment, I'm not sure why everyone is losing their hair over this.

I dont think you meant to phrase it like this. And please, no car analogies.

This whole thing has become a bit of a mess. Would've avoided all the bullshit if they had just said "this is the demo running on a PS5 devkit, it will also run on Xbox and PC", instead of avoiding mentioning other platforms altogether and looking quite stupid in the process.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not buying that the flying section happened with no hitching or LOD pop-in until I get a video showing it to me. I certainly hope it's the case that it's not dependent on the PS5's custom I/O solution (or future PC hardware), but I'm waiting for proof, personally.

Video was pulled because they breached NDA, and spoke about performance of other hardware outside of ps5. And it looks bad on Sweeny, as he made it seem like the demo needed a next gen SSD, and the developers who worked on the engine themselves, said you DON'T need a next gen SSD. Current ones are fine.

8k nanite needs high end ssd but that doesn't mean It won't scale to other ssds.iys unreal engine and has to scale.
From epic china :

kBqjzqs.jpg

Last edited:

jimbojim

Banned

The footage was from a Ps5 being played back on a laptop. Maybe laptop was powerful enough to run a mp4 file

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
So basically a $2000+ laptop runs the demo slightly better than a $500 console which hasn't released yet and whose potential hasn't even begun to be tapped. A big win for the PC community for sure... :pie_eyeroll:
i don't really think that is the message it's more about the need for the "special SSD" vs other machines. Don't think people disagree that the way they demo'd it was weirdly focused on sony.
esp for a third party engine. And the weird backtracking of sweeney the following days.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I posted this in the spec thread and UE5 demo thread earlier. It seems kinda clickbaity and a rehash of stuff we have gone over the past few days so I wasn't sure if I should make a thread for it.

Definitely an article title aimed to get clicks

He basically goes over the Epic China leak/interview that we have been debating/speculating about the last few days.

article ends with

Sooner than later I gotta think we will get a head-to-head-to-head direct comparison of the demo running on all platforms to settle it once and for all

The author of the article uses the "laptop ran it at higher FPS than PS5 demo" for its "runs better on laptop" basis.

I dunno what is true or not, at this point, honestly

They release source code for it? I mean, is it for everyone or for someone who can shell out millions of USD?

This whole thing has become a bit of a mess. Would've avoided all the bullshit if they had just said "this is the demo running on a PS5 devkit, it will also run on Xbox and PC", instead of avoiding mentioning other platforms altogether and looking quite stupid in the process.
Not really
Sony and ps5 got huge boost in trends after the demo. So job done quite well I say

The footage was from a Ps5 being played back on a laptop. Maybe laptop was powerful enough to run a mp4 file

Who said the laptop was running the demo? I'm not sure why people keep bringing that up, when the dev said it himself, that he runs the engine, in editor mode, uncooked (uses more performance than just rendering the demo), at 40 fps, in THE LAB. The laptop footage was there to discuss the engine and it's capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom