• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn film in the works by Screen Gems and PlayStation Productions

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Filmmaker David F. Sandberg, who has spent the last several years in the land of superheroes, is returning to his horror roots.

The Shazam! helmer has signed a deal to direct Until Dawn, an adaptation of the PlayStation horror video game being made by Screen Gems and PlayStation Productions. All three units fall under the Sony corporate umbrella.

Gary Dauberman, the screenwriter behind hit horror franchises It, Annabelle and The Nun, is doing a pass on the a script originally written by Blair Butler, who previously wrote Sony’s vampire thriller, The Invitation.

I'm still a huge fan of this game (and Supermassive's other games like The Dark Pictures Anthology and The Quarry), and also a fan of horror movies. Color me excited! Hopefully they can get Hayden Panettiere to at least make a cameo.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
ryan reynolds hd GIF

Take an interactive movie and lose the interactive part. Cool?

Shin-Ra

Not interested in the film but that’s a game that could do with some performance and image quality upgrades and HDR with a PS5 update.

consoul

Keep it interactive. Make the whole game (all branches) as a movie and give the audience 5 seconds to vote on every choice through a smartphone app. People would go back to see it again and bring their friends to skew the vote.

You'd need a bit of extra technology connected to the digital projectors at the cinema, but it'd be hardly more complex than track selection on a Dragon's Lair laserdisc.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I would say I hope they get the original cast but it's been a decade.
The lads should be fine but the girls, I don't know
Not that they've aged much but they probably all have fucked around with their face and lips with injections, which has made them look older...the ironic really 🤔

CamHostage

Keep it interactive. Make the whole game (all branches) as a movie and give the audience 5 seconds to vote on every choice through a smartphone app. People would go back to see it again and bring their friends to skew the vote.

You'd need a bit of extra technology connected to the digital projectors at the cinema, but it'd be hardly more complex than track selection on a Dragon's Lair laserdisc.

There has been a little of that, most notably Netflix's Bandersnatch (which was a hot tech tree for them for a moment and they put out a collection of other stuff like WWE Escape the Undertaker, but it looks like that stream has slowed down.)

Theaters have also done it a few times with special events (albeit they were I'm sure all four-walled and with custom gear, not something theaters just have up in the booth.) Coppola was also playing with interactive filmmaking with Twixt. And there are some ideas out there of interactive films which adjust not by phone taps on choices, but by "reading" the audience, doing a live mix of content based on analysis of what the crowd is reacting to, and that seems more intriguing as a concept instead of manual interactions taking you out of the film. (For instance, what if everybody's Fitbits/Apple Watches all monitored heart rate and mics, and maybe some audiences go aflutter or get loud when a character is on screen so that person lives to the end whereas other audiences are into somebody different?)

...That said, they're probably going to just make a regular movie and sell it on the name "Until Dawn" being pretty catchy. But Sony does sell a lot of content to Netflix, so maybe they'll try something with interactivity?

Last edited:

Baki

Horror movies are great money makers. Sony's Game > Film/TV pipeline are going to really supercharge their IPs.

Doom85

I hope they re-enact this scene from the game lol.

until-dawn-horror.gif

I hope they have Ashley do this instead:

bill murray block GIF

And then fucking punch Emily to that ground.

Seriously, there was only one bitch in that game, and it was Emily:

-showed the least remorse for what they did to Josh’s sister
-was clearly full of shit about not being interested in getting back together with Mike while she was with Matt (she wouldn’t have lied about going back to the cable car otherwise)
-attacks Jess for “daring” to be with Mike (oh yeah, Emily, you’ve “totally” moved on)
-brings up her GPA to “win” arguments like she’s fucking 11 years old or something
-acts passive-aggressive towards Matt their whole time together, even when he’s in the middle of trying to save her life!
-if their relationship value isn’t great by the end of the game (in other words, you have to have Matt not defend himself against her verbal abuse as opposed to standing up for himself) and they both survive, Emily asks the police to beat up Matt! JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!

Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Shocked Eddie Murphy GIF
I Cant Steve Harvey GIF
Awkward Season 2 GIF by The Office

Also, if Matt does survive and their relationship value is decent enough, Emily admits to the police she was a bitch the whole time. It’s canon, folks.

Also, it was Mike who pointed the gun at you, Emily, not Ashley. Stupid bitch doesn’t even know how to prioritize her anger.

Let‘s be honest, the real reason most players just don’t have Mike pull the trigger on Emily is because they’re going for a “everyone lives” ending.

Fuck that bitch.

mister rogers middle finger GIF

tmlDan

im down, loved the game and i enjoy the casual horror flick. Could be fun with the Annabelle and Shazam guys behind it

Goes to show the maturation of Sony's transmedia strategy.

This stuff is a really big deal. I could only imagine that we'll see an Until Dawn Remaster as a result of this that will also release on PC.

If successful, I could imagine Sony buying out Supermassive Games from their parent company.

I could also see some sort of partnership with Mike Flannagan or Ryan Murphy.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Video games to movies is a welcome second time I said that, games are battling for the big screen.

It's a QTE walking sim like david cage games, but in the horror/thriller and it's slasher sub-genre.

Of course, Sony wants a IKWYDLS or Scream clone out of it. It's lucrative "if done right".

RickSanchez

Gold Member
It will have to be done right, really really right for it to be a success. It has the bones to be a good slasher-horror flick, but it needs to differentiate itself from classics like "Scream", "i know what you did last summer" and all of their clones to be able to stand on its own.

Last edited:

Eimran

Just give me a sequel please. Been waiting for years.

The Quarry was nice but can't replace Until Dawn.

I did not like the game one bit, and I actually love most QTE stuff. It was a bit better than Quarry though. And brought us the very simple but fun on rails VR Rush of Blood experience.
Horror is generally just not my genre, very much like the weirder metal music genres, I never know if this is to be taken serious or if I am supposed to laugh.

FeralEcho

Seems nowadays we hear more about movie productions than game announcements from Playstation which is embarrassing and a sad departure from the late PS3/early PS4 days when all studios were firing on all cylinders...

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

I'm still a huge fan of this game (and Supermassive's other games like The Dark Pictures Anthology and The Quarry), and also a fan of horror movies. Color me excited! Hopefully they can get Hayden Panettiere to at least make a cameo.
Why make a movie about Until Dawn... If Until Dawn itself is an interactive movie?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Hayden Panettiere is the perfect Kat... I wish she was on Gravity Rush movie.

near

Gold Member
I had this game on my backlog for years and managed to do a play through in October, it had a lot of narrative depth to it which took me by surprise. It would be a sound business decision on Sony's part, low budget horror, rich source material, easy profit.

Top Bottom