• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unversity president decorated home with cotton stalks while hosting black students

Man I love homemade Mac n Cheese, especcially if you know youre free the next day and you go all in on adding garlic.

cornbreads dece with beans and ribs, cant see it with the mac tho.

wut u doin prez, get yo shit together

Slayven

Some people do cook food from other cultures, you know. In the past few weeks I've made Italian sausages, Chicken Burritos and Chinese Stir-Fry and I am not from any of those cultures.

You kinda making this about you for some reason. If you want to ignore the context, and history then go a head. But don't turn this into "White people can't do anything without offending people " outrage

Aizo

Banned
Some people do cook food from other cultures, you know. In the past few weeks I've made Italian sausages, Chicken Burritos and Chinese Stir-Fry and I am not from any of those cultures.
Do you invite a bunch of Chinese people over and specifically choose to make stir fry that night for them?
You're not getting it. I'm gonna guess that junior status won't last long here. Good luck figuring shit out.

rjc571

Banned
Did he need to meet with the Asian students the next day and give them orange chicken for you to see the pattern?

It's not that I don't see the pattern, I just find it bizarre that people would be offended over being served food from their culture.

Do you invite a bunch of Chinese people over and specifically choose to make stir fry that night for them?
You're not getting it. I'm gonna guess that junior status won't last long here. Good luck figuring shit out.

I made Chutney a few years ago when I had an Indian roommate. I let him have some and he said it was delicious.

Two Words

The cotton thing is bad but why would serving black students mac n cheese and corn bread be offensive? You can't serve somebody food that is identified with their culture? Seriously?
Eh, he kinda lost credibility when he also served Latino students tacos. There isn't something wrong with serving students food that is common among people in their race. But it's a bad look to be doing so consistently. If anything, it's a stupid and vapid gesture.

"I know what will get me on good terms with these students! I'll make food from their ancestral backgrounds and decorate the house in symbols of slavery."

tacos for hispanics

cotton for blacks

Is a blanket party for Native Americans on the docket
jwK1E5h.gif

UberTag

I want to invite this guy over for dinner and serve him prison meals.
Either that or food a jackass would eat. They like carrots, right?

I actually want some mac n cheese now. But on topic... How detached from reality you have to be to think that dinner setup was a good idea?

Violater

I find the lack of seating the most offensive part.
/s

We are living in a new (lower case) america folks, where bigots need not hide their true feeling anymore.

He served tacos to Latinos? He's alright in my book. Nah, I'm kidding. Not sure why he tried to be cute about it with the cotton stalks for black students.

Aselith

I made Chutney a few years ago when I had an Indian roommate. I let him have some and he said it was delicious.

Did you make Chutney every night because "it's what those people eat"? Or did you just make Chutney once while having an Indian roommate and now you're gonna pretend that's remotely equivalent to what this dude is doing?

I didnt realize that mac and cheese and cornbread was part of the stereotype. I wouldnt have thought just that stuff was racist but serving tacos to Hispanics sounds like he is pandering.

I was reading the article the OP linked, and further down in the story it talks about someone being offended about Hobby Lobby selling cotton??? It’s a craft store...is that a real story?? Did anyone else read that far? Here’s the quote from the OP’s link:

Amid the uproar, a Texas woman also called out the arts-and-crafts retailer Hobby Lobby last week for selling such stalks of cotton, or “cotton bouquets.”

“This decor is WRONG on SO many levels,” Facebook user Daniell Rider wrote Thursday on the store’s page. “There is nothing decorative about raw cotton. … A commodity which was gained at the expense of African-American slaves. A little sensitivity goes a long way.”

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10211616952874293&set=p.10211616952874293&type=3&theater

Zoe

I was reading the article you linked, and further down in the story it talks about someone being offended about Hobby Lobby selling cotton??? It’s a craft store...is that a real story?? Did anyone else read that far? Here’s the quote from the OP’s link:

Yeah, that's been going around for at least a few days now.

Devils advocate: There was no malintent. He spaced on the social implications of cotton as part of a centerpiece and thought serving food of the student's culture would be a nice gesture, two days in a row to separate cultures.

I'm willing to believe this is possible (the cotton is what makes it implausible IMO). He's still exibiting insane levels of tone deafness.

Yeah, that's been going around for at least a few days now.

Is this looney land? It’s a craft store selling craft supplies! It’s “offensive” and The Washington Post says, quote, “Hobby Lobby did not immediately respond to a request for comment.”

A comment about why they are selling cotton at a craft supply store? The Washington freaking Post is wanting a comment on that??

Slayven

Devils advocate: There was no malintent. He spaced on the social implications of cotton as part of a centerpiece and thought serving food of the student's culture would be a nice gesture, two days in a row to separate cultures.

I'm willing to believe this is possible (the cotton is what makes it implausible IMO). He's still exibiting insane levels of tone deafness.

This event had to be weeks in planning with many people involved, they all had a collective brain fart?

People would probably defend this shit if it was nooses on the table

I don't think the food thing is that big of a deal. I've served tacos to my Mexican friends and kebab to my Iraqi friend. It's a red flag done in succession like that though. If there's no other red flags you just move on. Dat cotton tho

This event had to be weeks in planning with many people involved, they all had a collective brain fart?

People would probably defend this shit if it was nooses on the table

I did say it was implausible and would require "insane" levels of tone deafness.

Piecake

I would be fine with that take if he actually took a great deal of thought and effort to think and prepare those 'cultural foods.' I can buy that as him trying to be respectful.

What he did though? It looks like he thought this up in like 5 seconds and spend 30 minutes on cooking

I mean, mac and cheese, collard greens, and corn bread? That sounds like a caricature of a meal that a poor black family ate 50 years ago and not something that people look forward to eating now (could be wrong on that).

And the Tacos bit is just plain wrong.

MisterR

Hmm, never knew I ate “black food”. That’s a pretty standard meal in most of the South. I ate all that stuff last week.

Top Bottom