• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update on the Revolution HD stuff (Nintendo's response)

Justin Bailey

------ ------
The other thread got locked otherwise I wouldn't bother with a new one.

I emailed Nintendo about the "email" we saw yesterday and this was what they said:

Hello,
I was wondering one thing. Will the next Nintendo System (Revolution) support High Definition games? There is a supposed email floating around the internet that says you are not. Here is what it says:
<insert longass email here>
Is this true? Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
Justin
Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

At this time, it has not been fully determined which TV formats the Revolution will support. Stay tuned to our website at www.nintendo.com for future announcements.

Thank you for your e-mail.
Nintendo of America Inc.
Nicolas Ramu
Typical Nintendo "non-answer" but at least it seems the email was definitely fake.

SantaC

Yeah, Nintendo revealing something negative in an email didn't sound right. They hardly revealed anything at E3, so why would NOA do it over a mail.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
seems their 'launch' was a ruse to get everybody else to spill the beans. Now they must be beavering away at Kyoto HQ to see how many good ideas they can rip off and squish into a very small shiny box (seemingly the only bit they have decided on)

Monk said:
You have the perfect name for a Nintendo fan. :p :(

indeed... Nintendo loves and hates us fans, its an abusive relationship

I guess. I won't have a problem as long as the machine supports 480p really, but option for at least 720p would've been real nice.

With the FCC Determined to Phase out Analog TV, this is the best Nintendo can do?

I am no tech head but if I take the plunge into HDTV next year what does that mean for my Revolution? I can still plug it into an HDTV set I would think but just the image wont be quality?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
This is ridiculous.

We've got to start a petition.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
If the revolution does not support HDTV Reses including, but not limited to 720p,
Its going to really hurt the system past the first year.

Year 2006, who cares
but Year 2007 market penetration of HDTV's should reach a noticable level...

This is too crazy for me to believe. There is no way Nintendo could be this short sighted, I won't believe this until NCL confirms.

Monk

Banned
You know, there is one thing to consider, by the time the generation ends, everyone will have atleast 720p in America, but it probably wont be the case with the rest of the world. At the very least Nintendo needs to be able to display 720p. If not the games will look "old" no matter what in comparison to the other consoles.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
It is a technological fact that games will still look incredibly beautiful and play incredibly well without the high cost of making them HD compatible.
What fucking high-cost?!! It cost nothing to output at a higher resolution.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Gahiggidy said:
What fucking high-cost?!! It cost nothing to output at a higher resolution.

Well, there are a couple extra components that need to be included, but the cost certainly is a very minor issue.

Monk

Banned
Also you will get framerate issues at 1080p as Julian Eggbrecht says. 30 fps games still poised for the future.

ge-man

Smiles and Cries said:
indeed... Nintendo loves and hates us fans, its an abusive relationship

With the FCC Determined to Phase out Analog TV, this is the best Nintendo can do?

I am no tech head but if I take the plunge into HDTV next year what does that mean for my Revolution? I can still plug it into an HDTV set I would think but just the image wont be quality?

From the article, it sounds like it will support SD. It won't look like garbage, but it won't be ultra sharp looking.

The article does ask some interesting questions, though. Juilan Eggebrecht suggests that it may not be easy to support HD and provide solid frame rates and such. Then there is the question about how fast HD is actually moving. Nintendo might remain competive in some sense because all Rev games could be locked at 60fps have plenty of fillrate for other eye candy. Whether that's a good bet is all in the future right now.

Secondly, the FCC my be make some noise today about phasing out analog and such, but the debate seems to be far from over. The article also mentions how difficult it has been for the move in the rest of the world, even though it looks like NA is primed for an explosion in this area.

Lastly, the console isn't finished. This may not be the final word, and it's possible that NCL themselves have a different response to the matter. I wouldn't flip out yet, but I do think that for those who think that this is an issue that will determine whether or not you actually bother with the system, now is the time to contact Nintendo.

Gahiggidy

I swear to god, Nitnendo drives its fans nuts.

We ought to form our own consumer-rights group... or something.

Teddman

"Nintendo's Revolution is being built with a variety of gamers' needs in mind, such as quick start-up time, high power, and ease of use for development and play. It's also compact and sleek, and has beautiful graphics in which to enjoy innovative games," Kaplan says. "Nintendo doesn't plan for the system to be HD compatible as with that comes a higher price for both the consumer and also the developer creating the game. Will it make the game better to play? With the technology being built into the Revolution, we believe the games will look brilliant and play brilliantly. This can all be done without HD."
Wow, case closed.

Chittagong

Gold Member
}cn_tgq[j.gif

Diffense

I think Microsoft's focus on 'HD Era' is somewhat misguided anyway. You're telling me that in order to get anything out of your games I'll have to buy a $1000+ new TV in addition to the console? It's not a very inclusive message since, as of now, most people don't have a HDTV and that will remain the case for some years even with the most optimistic estimates.

Furthermore, I have my doubts about those optimistic estimates. To what extent has Microsoft's emphasis on 'xBOX Love' prompted people to get broadband and subscribe to the service? Certainly MS has had some success but comparing the cost of going online to the cost of entering the 'HD Era' one has to wonder whether the adoption ratio will be even lower in the latter case.

So far I see the all this HD noise as nothing but part of the technological hype game that precedes each generation.

Diffense

Well, Nintendo has always referred to the DS when speaking of the revolution so taht my be a pretty accurate assessment. I'm sure they won't complain if it also has DS sales. ;)

Monk

Banned
Of course this cements the idea that I will be using the Rev with a old res tv in my room. would hate it if I can't play Xbox and PS3 games without HD as neither of my tv's do HD.

ge-man

Smiles and Cries said:
Again, the Rev is shaping up to be the DS of the console world.

Again, we're still a year or so off on the Revolution launch. This might be the offical word now, but changes can and will be made in the mean time.

I also hope everyone is reading the full article. I know many don't care for what Julian Eggebrecht has to say, but I think he made an excellent point. Do people think that 1080i/p is free because just these are next-gen machines? This is good point to keep in mind, but things won't be clear for a handful of months, though.

Personally, if Nintendo games are locked at 60fps and have AA almost for free, I think the overall visual quality will not be disappointing.

I'm not getting an HDTV anytime soon, so I really don't give a crap about the outputs of the next gen systems.

As long as Revolution is powerful and has good games, I'm in.

ManaByte

Diffense said:
I think Microsoft's focus on 'HD Era' is somewhat misguided anyway. You're telling me that in order to get anything out of your games I'll have to buy a $1000+ new TV in addition to the console? It's not a very inclusive message since, as of now, most people don't have a HDTV and that will remain the case for some years even with the most optimistic estimates.

Furthermore, I have my doubts about those optimistic estimates. To what extent has Microsoft's emphasis on 'xBOX Love' prompted people to get broadband and subscribe to the service? Certainly MS has had some success but comparing the cost of going online to the cost of entering the 'HD Era' one has to wonder whether the adoption ratio will be even lower in the latter case.

So far I see the all this HD noise as nothing but part of the technological hype game that precedes each generation.

So much Microsoft hate...Sony is the one going 1080p and has just as strict resolution requirements for PS3 games.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
ManaByte said:
So much Microsoft hate...Sony is the one going 1080p and has just as strict resolution requirements for PS3 games.

I dont know.. I don't have a widescreen TV, and dont plan on buying one anytime soon. It's nice that HD is the default, but the truth is the TVs are not, not by a long shot. If the games were in 420P, I wouldn't mind it. You'd be able to push relatively more onscreen with less fillrate.

ge-man said:
Again, we're still a year or so off on the Revolution launch. This might be the offical word now, but changes can and will be made in the mean time.

I also hope everyone is reading the full article. I know many don't care for what Julian Eggebrecht has to say, but I think he made an excellent point. Do people think that 1080i/p is free because just these are next-gen machines? This is good point to keep in mind, but things won't be clear for a handful of months, though.

Personally, if Nintendo games are locked at 60fps and have AA almost for free, I think the overall visual quality will not be disappointing.

Believe me this thread has awaken me to this, not only that but its not only Nintendo I am worried about but MS and SONY are I think, doing something just as bad if people without massive HD $$$$ can't play the 360 and PS3.

looking at it that way I really don't mind Nintendo's vision, yet I still feel they should be competitive at least give the haters one less reason to hate

Gahiggidy

Does Nintendo really think that developers are going to recode thier games to put more detail at a lower resolution?

Monk

Banned
Gahiggidy said:
Does Nintendo really think that developers are going to recode thier games to put more detail at a lower resolution?

Hmm... good point, it will be bad for multiplatform games.

I still think they are confused as a whole about what exactly all of these interviewers mean by "HiDef" games. Considering the Revolution mockup had the GC digital out port on the back i doubt they are completely forgoing say, Progressive scan as a whole, or not allowing companies to have games play in higher resolutions, but I think what they are trying to say is that they are not mandating that any game made for the Rev has to be hi-def 720/1080p. This is, of course, Nintendo being Nintendo again, mis-speaking and saying things that aren't exactly what they mean, and this is Perin Kaplan after all. She seems to know about as much as Matt-IGN does half the time, and is a self-admitted non-techie. This is the just the typical part of the console cycle where Nintendo seems to be fucking everything up. Hopefully we'll get back on the upside with something good in the near future. Only to be shot in the back with something else of course.

ge-man

ImNotLikeThem said:
I still think they are confused as a whole about what exactly all of these interviewers mean by "HiDef" games. Considering the Revolution mockup had the GC digital out port on the back i doubt they are completely forgoing say, Progressive scan as a whole, or not allowing companies to have games play in higher resolutions, but I think what they are trying to say is that they are not mandating that any game made for the Rev has to be hi-def 720/1080p. This is, of course, Nintendo being Nintendo again, mis-speaking and saying things that aren't exactly what they mean, and this is Perin Kaplan after all. She seems to know about as much as Matt-IGN does half the time, and is a self-admitted non-techie. This is the just the typical part of the console cycle where Nintendo seems to be fucking everything up. Hopefully we'll get back on the upside with something good in the near future. Only to be shot in the back with something else of course.

It seems pretty clear what is meant this time--nothing over SD resolution. It may or may not be a bad idea, though.

Again, if people are disappointed don't bitch about it on a gaming forum--sned an email to Nintendo. Companies are about profit, and they will understand that they may have problem on there hands if they get shit load of emails from customers saying that NCL has lost a sale.

DEO3

Untill I red this I was already sold on the Revolution. My plan was to definatley pick up a Revolution and then decide between the PS3 or the Xbox 360 as a secondary system, since those two are really becoming the same system (almost any game you find on one can be found on the other, and if not then something almost identical (Gran Turismo/Forza)).

But notice I said 'untill I read this'.

To many people HDTV support isn't that a big deal, and will write off those of us who do consider it to be a big deal as simply being too engrossed in graphics. Most likley those are people who don't own HDTVs (heh). I replaced my 27" SDTV about 6 months ago with a 53" HDTV, and the very first thing I did was hook my Gamecube and PS2 up to it, dying to see what Gran Turismo and Metroid would look like on my new large widescreen HDTV.

I couldn't have been more dissapointed.

Even using component cables every game I tried simply looked like ass. Blurry textures, jaggies, and shimmering - I never realized how flawed this generation of games was graphicly untill seeing it on a larger television. I've since purchased a smaller 27" SDTV to simply play my games on because playing them on my larger television was no longer an option (during long sessions I'd start to get killer headaches trying to focus on the blurry shimering messes that my games had become). It breaks my heart to say I won't be purchasing a revolution if this news is true, but 640x480 just isn't really an option for me anymore.

I love Nintendo, why won't Nintendo love me back?

DEO3 said:
Untill I red this I was already sold on the Revolution. My plan was to definatley pick up a Revolution and then decide between the PS3 or the Xbox 360 as a secondary system, since those two are really becoming the same system (almost any game you find on one can be found on the other, and if not then something almost identical (Gran Turismo/Forza)).

But notice I said 'untill I read this'.

To many people HDTV support isn't that a big deal, and will write off those of us who do consider it to be a big deal as simply being too engrossed in graphics. Most likley those are people who don't own HDTVs (heh). I replaced my 27" SDTV about 6 months ago with a 53" HDTV, and the very first thing I did was hook my Gamecube and PS2 up to it, dying to see what Gran Turismo and Metroid would look like on my new large widescreen HDTV.

I couldn't have been more dissapointed.

Even using component cables every game I tried simply looked like ass. Blurry textures, jaggies, and shimmering - I never realized how flawed this generation of games was graphicly untill seeing it on a larger television. I've since purchased a smaller 27" SDTV to simply play my games on because playing them on my larger television was no longer an option (during long sessions I'd start to get killer headaches trying to focus on the blurry shimering messes that my games had become). It breaks my heart to say I won't be purchasing a revolution if this news is true, but 640x480 just isn't really an option for me anymore.

I love Nintendo, why won't Nintendo love me back?

This is just it, this is the cost Nintendo is talking about it will cost them to make games not look like ass on HDTV

still Join us brother and email Nintendo just what you posted here.
I think we can turn this around at least I hope so. its early enough for us to make this change.

Diffense

I see MS as pushing it more in their marketing etcetera. Almost the first thine we heard about the console was the 'HD Era'. I don't have any problem with console manufacturers supporting HDTV. I just thing it's a little stupid to promote HDTV support as a primary feature when most people, at the time of your console's launch, won't be able to take advantage of it without incurring considerable expense.

Sent my little rant and now I feel better... I told them how the PS3 will be my first non-Nintendo machine... and I told them how Drinky Crow was right about the "One Console Future"

not thats not what I wrote, but yeah I feel better after sending it :D

Top Bottom