• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update on the Revolution HD stuff (Nintendo's response)

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
If ever there was an online precense of Nintendo Fanyboys, now would be the time to act.

ge-man

Even though I'm unsure how technical debate will actually pan out, I went on and sent a message to NOA anyways urging to reconsider this choice if this is something that may affect 3rd party support. Hopefully there are more folks sending their complaints to Nintendo than there are sitting complaning that Nintendo is not listening to them--Nintendo is not going to hear silence.

I congratulated Nintendo on their fantastic cost cutting measures and then reminded them that shortchanging the consumer will only end up in disaster in the long term.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Help me think of a good name for a petition....

sangreal

Diffense said:
You're telling me that in order to get anything out of your games I'll have to buy a $1000+ new TV in addition to the console?

$1000? You can get an HDTV for a quarter of that.

Obviously not a very good one, but I only use it as an example to illustrate that HDTVs come in sizes under 50" and can be quite affordable. There really is little incentive to not go HDTV when purchasing a new TV these days. Keep in mind these consoles will be around for another 5-6 years.

Nintendo seems to be trying really hard to not sell me a Revolution. All they'd have to do is not screw it up, and what's happening now? It's going to be completely gutted with a lack of HD support. I refuse to believe it's really so much to ask.

Nintendo needs to fire Kaplan and whoever decided not to show the Revolution footage at E3. Retro's Metroid game will be a launch title, and they're pretty P.O.'d that the "big secret" (not my words) wasn't shown.

And I'd be surprised if Revolution doesn't support HD.

Auron

As long as Revolution outputs at 480p, nobody's really going to know the difference. That's the accepted resolution standard adopted with the DVD format, and it will continue to be so through the life of the new consoles. Forcing developers to make their software in 1080i and 1080p with today's technology will only result in poor framerate, so focusing in on a more realistic target may actually benefit Nintendo.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
God's Hand said:
Nintendo needs to fire Kaplan and whoever decided not to show the Revolution footage at E3. Retro's Metroid game will be a launch title, and they're pretty P.O.'d that the "big secret" (not my words) wasn't shown.

And I'd be surprised if Revolution doesn't support HD.
How do you know this?

Gahiggidy

Auron said:
As long as Revolution outputs at 480p, nobody's really going to know the difference. That's the accepted resolution standard adopted with the DVD format, and it will continue to be so through the life of the new consoles. Forcing developers to make their software in 1080i and 1080p with today's technology will only result in poor framerate, so focusing in on a more realistic target may actually benefit Nintendo.
Many Xbox games ran fine in 720p.

Shompola

Banned
Auron said:

Agreed.

Unbelievable. Nintendo is completely out of touch with industry trends outside Japan.
LegendofJoe said:
This is too crazy for me to believe. There is no way Nintendo could be this short sighted, I won't believe this until NCL confirms.
According to Matt C. from IGN, all of Kaplan's comments as well as all the facts about Revolution's inability to output HD resolutions were approved by NCL.

golem

Auron said:
today's technology??? video cards have been able to run games at 1024x768 which is similar to 1280x720 with great framerates for a long time now. we arent running TNT2's no more... :lol

Monk

Banned
Operations said:
Unbelievable. Nintendo is completely out of touch with industry trends outside Japan.

Um, Europe too. It's "just" America. But it's still stupid to screw Americans over.

pilonv1

Auron said:

Have you played a console game at 720p? You'll never want to go back to 480p, let alone 480i

Monk

Banned
golem said:
today's technology??? video cards have been able to run games at 1024x768 which is similar to 1280x720 with great framerates for a long time now. we arent running TNT2's no more... :lol

1080p is something that advanced texturing can kill. I am talking anisotropic filtering WITH bump mapping.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/136/928181_20050517_screen001.jpg

^I am sick and tired of seeing that. I know the games are early, but damn, next gen should be better. Where is my aniso bitches?

StRaNgE

Banned
maybe this thread title should be changed to all nintendo fans unite for HD or something.

then post all nintendo contacts and a form letter we can copy and paste and send in .

like someone said it is still early enough to make a difference.
if gaf can manipulate an EA poll for next gen systems then it surley can get a crap load of emails sent in to Nintendo about HD.

title has to be changed to draw the fanboys in though. :)

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Well, I sent an email in, don't know what good it will do, most likely Nintendo will start supporting HD in Revolution 2 saying 'We have always supported HD gaming, it's just that it did not make sense as a business model at the start of Revolution's lifespan.'

lexi

Banned
Wasn't VGA-out one of the first things confirmed for Revolution? Why the fuck have the ability to output to VGA if you're not going to support high-definition?

kIdMuScLe

send mine's too... [Napeleon] Nintendo is such an idiot, Gosh!! [/Napeleon] call on the power of the Ngeek Squad and overflow nintendo's feedback of messages of "N fanboy am cry. NO HD, is all over for Nintendo. Sony one console future is HERE!1!!1! :'("

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Operations said:

According to Matt C. from IGN, all of Kaplan's comments as well as all the facts about Revolution's inability to output HD resolutions were approved by NCL.

the thread should be over after this. matt c from ign has been obviously out of the loop for quite some time.

Dalamar86

Also, actually mailing them these pleas as opposed to email may be somewhat more effective. From what I've heard actual mail is worth roughly 10x that of an email.

ziran

the ign article is interesting, but i think it's a bit of a rant.

what i see is manufacturers, retail and the press praying HD takes off so they can milk more money from consumers.

when it comes to HD tv people are making out we're going from crap to mindblowing, but this is a skewed view of reality. the bottom line is we're going from something very good, current SD, to something excellent, HD. I wonder if the gap is going to be big enough to convince consumers to jump on the HD ride [rather than buying a digibox]?

look at music. the cd is technically [in terms of audio quality] a dead format, but consumers don't care about improvements, or re-buying their cd collections [at an improved quality]. in reality consumers are happy with a lesser format, mp3. most peoples mp3s aren't the audio quality of their cds. it's going to be the same with HD. consumers will not be re-buying their DVD collections on a better format, so they won't bother with a blue ray or hddvd player, so the need for a HD tv will be significantly reduced.

i'm sure HD will have some market share but equally, consumers priorities will win out. There are more important things on the populations’ shopping lists than a HD tv set up!

WindyMan

IGN said:
HD conversion for the US seems inevitable. But the storybook ending is far from written in the rest of the world. "By the end of the generation I'm convinced that we will have practically 100 percent penetration with HD in the US. Now, what I am scared about is Europe. We have a huge disconnect between Europe and the US in that regard. Europe is so far behind the curve in terms of HD adoption," says Eggebrecht.

Europe's inability to settle on a unified HD standard stalled its plan to get rolling with the format. Now, the continent is set to use the same HD standards as America, but nevertheless manufacturers have been slow to gain momentum with the conversion just as Europeans have been slow to embrace it.

The Japanese market has encountered similar issues, which might explain why Nintendo, whose decision makers operate out of Kyoto, is unwilling to accept high-definition.

Nintendo is in a messy spot here. By the time the next generation is well into its run, the vast majority of America will have access to HDTV, and more importantly, virtually all of the American videogame population will probably have HDTVs as well. Europe and Japan, on the other hand, won't be anywhere close to the HD penetration America has.

As it stands, Japan and Europe are getting screwed by Microsoft and Sony's HD systems. Nintendo sees a major opportunity here, and they're going to capitalize on it by making sure everyone gets the best experience in standard def that is possible. Those without HDTV will get a downgraded experience from what the developer orginally intended the game to be.

It does need to be said, Nintendo is going to screw themselves in the long run if they don't include 720p. That's all we need, and if the Revolution is going to be as powerful as it winds up being, then it should optionally output a resolution that many developers will want to use, or at least have available to them.

If Nintendo's new system is supposed to be designed for all types of gamers, then it had better have some option for the (as Nintendo said it,) "hardcore" American gamers with the HDTVs and the 5.1 surround system.

suaveric

I don't understand why Nintendo would make such a point about making the Rev look like a real piece of high tech hardware and then shoot the legs out from under it like this.

This is such a classic Nintendo move. 1996- no CDs, 2001- no online, 2006- no HD resolutions.

Making sure the hardware can display HD is all I'm asking for. If developers decide they'd rather produce cheaper, non-HD games, so be it. But at least give them the option.

I hope Nintendo reconsiders.

Donnie

I see that Matt is continuing his attack on Nintendo then.

Nothing in the article ever comes even close to confirming that Revolution won't be compatible with HDTV resolutions. Not factually anyway, all he has is conjecture and assumpion. Basically all he has is the fact that Nintendo don't think that spending extra development time on HD is worth it. But until we see actual specs for Revolution all that proves is that Nintendo, as a developer, won't be making HD games and that they will not force the format as a standard for third parties. It certainly doesn't prove that Revolution won't have the ability to support the format. Yet despite the fact that Matt has no real clue wether the console will support HDTV or not he makes comments like this:

Nintendo could once again be sending mixed signals to potential audiences. The Revolution is designed to look like a high-end electronics component, but it lacks a defining element of other next-generation systems, which is of course compatibility with the high-definition standard

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Putting together some of Kaplan's comments from the article, ie: Fixed resolution, cost to developers, tech hardwired into Rev. to make games look beautiful despite HD makes me strongly suspect that Nintendo is experimenting with some sort of pre-rendering technology (ie Cube Mapping) that looks beautiful but needs to be at a fixed resolution.

Then again, I could be reading too much into this.

Amir0x

Banned
Donnie said:
I see that Matt is continuing his attack on Nintendo then.

Nothing in the article ever comes even close to confirming that Revolution won't be compatible with HDTV resolutions. Not factually anyway, all he has is conjecture and assumpion. Nintendo don't think that spending extra development time on HD as worth it so that means there console won't support the format?.. total nonesense. What is means is that Nintendo won't be making HD games themselves, that's all it means until we actually see firm info on Revolution specs. Yet despite the fact that Matt has no real clue wether the console will support HDTV or not he makes comments like this:

What the hell are you talking about?

FROM THE ARTICLE...

"It is accurate that at this time we will not support high-definition [on Revolution]," confirms Nintendo of America's vice president of corporate affairs, Perrin Kaplan.

"Nintendo's Revolution is being built with a variety of gamers' needs in mind, such as quick start-up time, high power, and ease of use for development and play. It's also compact and sleek, and has beautiful graphics in which to enjoy innovative games," Kaplan says. "Nintendo doesn't plan for the system to be HD compatible as with that comes a higher price for both the consumer and also the developer creating the game. Will it make the game better to play? With the technology being built into the Revolution, we believe the games will look brilliant and play brilliantly. This can all be done without HD."

That's from Perrin Kaplan. Point blank, Perrin says Nintendo has no plans to make Rev HD compatible, and that at this time Revolution will not support high-definition.

If this "isn't even close to confirming that Revolution won't be compatible with HDTV resolutions", then I don't know how much further that it must go. Do you need the President of the USA to hold a press conference about Revolution's lack of HD in order for it to go from "not close" to "almost close, but still not there"? Maybe all the NATO nations must come together? The United Nations must have a resolution confirming it?

I mean, seriously now. Don't be dense.

Teddman

Auron said:
CONGRATULATIONS! :D

LOL @ this news.

In every generation, a Nintendo console has succeeded in presenting a visual masterpiece that surpassed or, at the very least, remained on par with the best its competitors had to offer---from SMB3 to Resident Evil 4.

Revolution will do the same. This news doesn't phase me one bit.

Deg

Banned
REV could of course produce comparable graphics quality but at lower resolution. Might explain the lower specs.

SantaC

Amir0x said:
What the hell are you talking about?

heh Matt is definitley upset. He went on a ramapage in the forums. He said that if NOA was in charge there would be HD support and stuff. :lol

Taker666

I have no problem with the lack of HD.

In Europe it's pretty much non-existant besides which I bought a new tv 2 years ago and doubt I will upgrade until the end of next gen anyway (unless it stops working of course).

I would however like to see 16:9 widescreen supported fully. It's now the standard in Europe yet few cube games include the option.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Taker666 said:
I have no problem with the lack of HD.

In Europe it's pretty much non-existant besides which I bought a new tv 2 years ago and doubt I will upgrade until the end of next gen anyway (unless it stops working of course).

I would however like to see 16:9 widescreen supported fully. It's now the standard in Europe yet few cube games include the option.
I completely agree. :)

I really doubt it that HDTV will be the standard in 2006, when next-gen consoles come out.

Gessle

Ruzbeh said:
I completely agree. :)

I really doubt it that HDTV will be the standard in 2006, when next-gen consoles come out.

It could very well be the standard by 2008/2009, and by that time Revolution will still be around.

Top Bottom