• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve confirms Half-Life: Alyx, full reveal coming later this week.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Oh grow up already. Valve doesn't cater just to your needs. Valve does not need to do what you say.
You complain about people "whining" and your replies are hostile. Project much?

And I already speak with my wallet by using GOG almost exclusively for digital purchases.

Calm down, dude.

Solomeena

Banned
It's been 16 years since HL2, you would think that alone would prove they could care less and do whatever they please, when they please.

I guess so, you can deal with it or not, your choice. But i will say this, if you think this is the only VR only game from Valve prepare to be even more disappointed in the future. They have 2 more VR games in the pipeline at the minimum and that might even be Half-Life 3, so get that salt out of your system now.

Last edited:

Solomeena

Banned
You complain about people "whining" and your replies are hostile. Project much?

And I already speak with my wallet by using GOG almost exclusively for digital purchases.

Calm down, dude.

That's fine, you should speak with your wallet but everything is not determined by your arrogant post about Valve should do it your way and not their way. Which is why i replied the way i did to you. Not everything is about you and how you want it. VR is here to stay and when it is all said and done it will make companies like Valve billions upon billions more in profits.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

That's fine, you should speak with your wallet but everything is not determined by your arrogant post about Valve should do it your way and not their way. Which is why i replied the way i did to you. Not everything is about you and how you want it. VR is here to stay and when it is all said and done it will make companies like Valve billions upon billions more in profits.
It's arrogant to say it would be nice if they made a beloved franchise more easily available to people who loved it?

Hell I'm even complimenting them as I think it looks pretty damn awesome.

But hey they are allowed to do things the way they want. Not debating that.

You we're whining in your post i replied and you are whining again. I will say it again, Valve wants VR to grow and be successful, of course they will sacrifice money to make it happen. It's not always about needing to make money right away and you know this, you are just trying to make an excuse to whine about Valve and VR. If you are not a pc gamer, guess what? You will have to pay a decent amount of money to get a gaming pc. If you already have it you don't need the Valve Index to play HL:A but you already know this and if you don't you are being ignorant. You can get a vr headset for as cheap as 200 dollars to play this game.

Problem is, you are looking at this as someone that wants to be sold on new tech. I dont give two shits about new ways of playing if we are talking about a beloved franchise with solid lore and an unfinished story. HL is one of if not my favorite gaming franchise. So yeah me and Im pretty sure majority of others are not fans of VR only, not because I dont like VR but because HL: Alyx is confirmed as canon and part of lore important to the HL universe and its a full sized game. You are locking out actual game fans from playing this new chapter behind a gadget wall. Which again says a lot about them how much they dont care about the older fans but just want to flex their tech muscles.

Id have no problem if HL: Alyx was some arthouse VR demo and what not to show off the VR, but you put in a full lore important chapter and not even offer others to play without VR? But I get it, its not aimed at fans, its aimed at people like you that buy a new iPhone every year, the materialistic consumer that needs to have the newest gadget.

Last edited:

Romulus

Problem is, you are looking at this as someone that wants to be sold on new tech. I dont give two shits about new ways of playing if we are talking about a beloved franchise with solid lore and an unfinished story. HL is one of if not my favorite gaming franchise. So yeah me and Im pretty sure majority of others are not fans of VR only, not because I dont like VR but because HL: Alyx is confirmed as canon and part of lore important to the HL universe and its a full sized game. You are locking out actual game fans from playing this new chapter behind a gadget wall. Which again says a lot about them how much they dont care about the older fans but just want to flex their tech muscles.

Id have no problem if HL: Alyx was some arthouse VR demo and what not to show off the VR, but you put in a full lore important chapter and not even offer others to play without VR? But I get it, its not aimed at fans, its aimed at people like you that buy a new iPhone every year, the materialistic consumer that needs to have the newest gadget.

I know this isn't for me, but I just want to voice my opinion here.

I honestly don't give a shit about gadgets at all even though I can afford them. I have a 3 year old phone. VR is the only thing I've ever used and immediately knew I had to have it for gaming.
Fuck kinect, wii and all that other bullshit. VR is what made me believe in an instant that gaming had truly evolved. I'm a PC/console guy from way back that has never been impressed with gadget shit.

Romulus Romulus and I get it. All Im saying is, there are plenty of games that offer VR and non VR way of playing. Im not saying throw away VR, keep it, show it off, prove everyone how its better to play HL:Alyx that way, but there are a lot of people that want to play this just for the games sake and most of those people aren't gonna switch to VR at least atm for the current prices. Its like Microsoft saying one day next Halo is VR only. Ok you made me even more immersed in the world but theres so many people missing out.

Romulus

Romulus Romulus and I get it. All Im saying is, there are plenty of games that offer VR and non VR way of playing. Im not saying throw away VR, keep it, show it off, prove everyone how its better to play HL:Alyx that way, but there are a lot of people that want to play this just for the games sake and most of those people aren't gonna switch to VR at least atm for the current prices. Its like Microsoft saying one day next Halo is VR only. Ok you made me even more immersed in the world but theres so many people missing out.

I get that. I sort of look at VR as a more capable medium. Like giving an artist a whole new way to explore his skills that maybe some viewers will never see but for ones that do it, could truly be next level for the viewers, artist, and even push the entire industry forward.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

My glass half-full POV: Without VR there would never have been a new Half-Life. I'm happy Valve got an excuse to continue the series even though I can't afford it ATM.

Same kind of situation happened to my friends back then when they didn't play HL2 until it came out on Xbox 360 three years later, because they wouldn't buy a PC to play it.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Oh grow up already. Valve doesn't cater just to your needs. Valve does not need to do what you say.
Grow up? Cmon... I am 31 now... Half of my life was spent not knowing the ending after episode 2...
Now they give us a vr only game. Sure it looks amazing but on 4k trailers. I would much prefer the 2d only version... I've had too many headsets. They always suck, limit what You can do in games aside from amazing motion hands abilities, make cool actions more tedious... Yay I am reloading my gun...
It's easy to hype but reality is always the same and I've sold each headset after few months. The games are just more limiting, headset is hot'n'sweaty, pixelated and only sharp in the middle after setting Your headset right. Anf it costs a lot and requires a beast pc.

That said, the motion is amazing and the overall package is great. I just think the head part of headset needs 10 more years.

And yes... I am hyped again and will probably buy S again to give hl a go ... And reintroduce motion sickness and sweating back in my life... And pixels which will be even worse now that I have a 4k monitor :p

Speaking of physics and sinners....

The game opens with the player as Alex while in the shower. Que tutorial about using in game hands and the physics....as in picking up the soap and turning off /on the shower, of course.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

I hope that I can look at my boobs to see my health :messenger_winking_tongue:

m7o57fa.jpg

Really, Trespasser was ahead of its time, it looks like a perfect fit for current VR.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Grow up? Cmon... I am 31 now... Half of my life was spent not knowing the ending after episode 2...
Now they give us a vr only game. Sure it looks amazing but on 4k trailers. I would much prefer the 2d only version... I've had too many headsets. They always suck, limit what You can do in games aside from amazing motion hands abilities, make cool actions more tedious... Yay I am reloading my gun...
It's easy to hype but reality is always the same and I've sold each headset after few months. The games are just more limiting, headset is hot'n'sweaty, pixelated and only sharp in the middle after setting Your headset right. Anf it costs a lot and requires a beast pc.

That said, the motion is amazing and the overall package is great. I just think the head part of headset needs 10 more years.

And yes... I am hyped again and will probably buy S again to give hl a go ... And reintroduce motion sickness and sweating back in my life... And pixels which will be even worse now that I have a 4k monitor :p
Yup! Well said.

Also apparently the devs said they want you to finish HL Episode Two to understand something that will happen in the Alyx game....

MiguelItUp

Gold Member

Yeah, I can related to this like a mofo. 35 now, and I was always moderately curious about VR, just never took the plunge because it just felt gimmicky to me, and I couldn't see passed that. But when the pricing on the Odyssey Plus was incredibly low, I decided to bite BECAUSE of Half Life: Alyx, lol. I've picked up a few games as I've waited for Alyx's release, and it's been a lot of fun. Can't really say that it's made me some kind of hardcore believer or anything, but it is definitely cool being more familiar with it and new tech. Especially since we're at a point where VR experiences feel more like full fledged games rather than some spiffy tech demo.

Romulus

Yeah, I can related to this like a mofo. 35 now, and I was always moderately curious about VR, just never took the plunge because it just felt gimmicky to me, and I couldn't see passed that. But when the pricing on the Odyssey Plus was incredibly low, I decided to bite BECAUSE of Half Life: Alyx, lol. I've picked up a few games as I've waited for Alyx's release, and it's been a lot of fun. Can't really say that it's made me some kind of hardcore believer or anything, but it is definitely cool being more familiar with it and new tech. Especially since we're at a point where VR experiences feel more like full fledged games rather than some spiffy tech demo.

Odyssey Plus is a good well rounded, cheap kit. I was surprised by it. What games do you have?

Wonko_C

...limit what You can do in games aside from amazing motion hands abilities, make cool actions more tedious... Yay I am reloading my gun...

This is weird to me because personally reloading is so much more engaging than pushing a button and watching an animation, makes me feel more connected to the game and leads to funny situations where you can mess up the reload because you're under attack and overwhelmed.

TL;DR version:
15f.gif

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Odyssey Plus is a good well rounded, cheap kit. I was surprised by it. What games do you have?
That's what I was reading! $230 was a steal that I couldn't pass up as a result, haha.

Beat Saber, Gorn, Boneworks, Arizona Sunshine, Blade & Sorcery. I just bought Saints & Sinners not long ago, but I haven't fired it up yet!

Romulus

That's what I was reading! $230 was a steal that I couldn't pass up as a result, haha.

Beat Saber, Gorn, Boneworks, Arizona Sunshine, Blade & Sorcery. I just bought Saints & Sinners not long ago, but I haven't fired it up yet!

Wow. And I was thinking at $300 it was a good deal.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Top Bottom