• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanillaware ran out of money for Unicorn Overlord’s development (as they did for 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim)

Fabieter

Releasing a port of a game like 13 Sentinels is hardly going to break the bank, while the ROI would probably be great. I dont personally care about the games coming to PC or not, as I own them already, but it makes financial sense when you are struggling with funding your game.

Stating that you would make extra money releasing your games on PC is just logical thinking, not port begging.

It goes both ways. If Valve is working on Half-Life 3 next and opts not to develop console ports, one could argue it's port begging as well if its constantly asked for it in every thread.. However, it's also true that they would likely generate way more revenue by considering console ports.

Fabieter

Eh, that really depends. Do mostly console gamers have a gaming PC? Most likely no.

Plus, not everything needs to go to EA. SEGA and Atlus should have helped with the PC port.

Does it matter if most console players have gaming pc? PC gamers arguing that it helps the hype to release simultaneously. Why isn't the same true for ea titles?

StereoVsn

Does it matter if most console players have gaming pc? PC gamers arguing that it helps the hype to release simultaneously. Why isn't the same true for ea titles?
Usually titles release in EA when companies don’t have funding to do fully internal testing.

TidusYuna

Time to buy two copies like I did with 13 Sentinels then.
double_dip_o.gif

Fabieter

Usually titles release in EA when companies don’t have funding to do fully internal testing.

Yes and some of those were released years later for a higher price than the original pc version.

Don't get me wrong it can make sense to focus on one platform first but that goes both ways.

Battles play out automatically with no input from the player. Turn order is determined by initiative. It’s most similar to Ogre Battle.
Wait, WHAT?

I dismissed this game immediately when it was announced thinking that it was just another strategy RPG. I can't seem to get into this genre for some reason. I don't enjoy the whole min/max your turns type thing.

But this is a tactical RPG? You command your units and the battles are calculated? Next question is: PS5 or Nintendo Switch?

Last edited:
But wouldn’t take extra budget to release on PC?

If anything it shows why they didnt. Jesus!

Sega ported it to Xbox and very probably helped them develop for both PS4/5 and Switch concurrently

13 Sentinels only got ported to Switch 2 years later because Vanillaware actually did that port themselves
They released it on Xbox of all things. These games will sell much better on Steam than Xbox. VW is the last developer remaining that doesn't launch on PC and this is their first ever Xbox release, the question is why do the opposite of most Japanese games that can't launch on all platforms (they launch on Switch & PC, or Playstation & PC or Playstation, Switch and PC. Xbox is always left out when they are cutting a platform).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They released it on Xbox of all things. These games will sell much better on Steam than Xbox. VW is the last developer remaining that doesn't launch on PC and this is their first ever Xbox release, the question is why do the opposite of most Japanese games that can't launch on all platforms (they launch on Switch & PC, or Playstation & PC or Playstation, Switch and PC. Xbox is always left out when they are cutting a platform).
I'm guessing Atlus has some kind of deal with Microsoft to release their games on Xbox.

Kacho

Wait, WHAT?

I dismissed this game immediately when it was announced thinking that it was just another strategy RPG. I can't seem to get into this genre for some reason. I don't enjoy the whole min/max your turns type thing.

But this is a tactical RPG? You command your units and the battles are calculated? Next question is: PS5 or Nintendo Switch?
There are tactics. Each unit has strengths and weaknesses. You build teams with the units you have (you can recruit as needed) to go against the enemies teams. Each stage has a specific challenge to overcome.

In gameplay you navigate the map with your teams and initiate battles by approaching the various enemy teams. Battles then play out automatically. Units also have special abilities that can be used on the map to give you an advantage before battle, such as a rain of arrows, haste movement, healing, etc.

There are tactics. Each unit has strengths and weaknesses. You build teams with the units you have (you can recruit as needed) to go against the enemies teams. Each stage has a specific challenge to overcome.

In gameplay you navigate the map with your teams and initiate battles by approaching the various enemy teams. Battles then play out automatically. Units also have special abilities that can be used on the map to give you an advantage before battle, such as a rain of arrows, haste movement, healing, etc.
I watched about five minutes of demo footage and I am sold. I seriously thought this was just a run of the mill SRPG. A Fire Emblem clone. I took one glanced back when it was announced and never looked back.

Fabieter

its an stupid decision, people will play it on a switch emulator...
They could have it released on pc and gain something at least...

Well people told me they use switch emulation legally so it doesn't matter for vw. Except people lied and they use it for piracy ;) lol.

S0ULZB0URNE

Where the hell i even said that? I swear based on your previous posts you're just looking for excuses to argue over anything.
Yup, we even have companies like ProjectMoon making similar games with PC-first releases and seeing great success. I feel they're just stuck with old-jp-dev mentality.

They probably also think, or were ill-advised, that a PC release would require Denuvo or some other shit by Sega or Atlus (which costs a lot), even though their games are already fully pirateable on the platform anyway.

k7IZWo9.gif

SunlitSword

Neo Member
Bought the collector's edition a while back, but it won't be here until the end of the month at the earliest, so I'll have to pick up a digital copy as well to play. I honestly just can't keep up with game releases anymore. Vanillaware, Capcom, and Team Ninja all in one month is going to get me cost me my job

jm89

its an stupid decision, people will play it on a switch emulator...
They could have it released on pc and gain something at least...
PC piracy nice.

Vanillaware will be fine anyway.

Ps5 and switch gamers will carry this.

And maybe some of the xbros help out.

Last edited:

KXVXII9X

I'm about to hit the buy button. I've bought every new Vanilla ware game since Dragon's Crown on Vita. I absolutely love the demo.

I wish they had more support and funding because they put a lot of passion and quality behind their games. I've been supporting Atlus's niche releases since Knights in the Nightmare on DS. I want to support these games so that they can continue being made.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They should stop running out of money
They do it because they like to take risk and push themselves with make bigger project despite limited resources, Unicorn Overlord by far is their biggest game.

There are AAA studios who have resources and the budget to take risks but often than not they take easy way out......you have to admire what Vanillaware does here.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
If you want it to sell, it would be better to have it Day 1. Say it releases in couple of years on Steam at $50/60 (higher outside US). Don’t really think it will have same sales potential?
SEGA likely does not see much incentive in porting these games to PC, all of which still exist mostly because Vanillaware has a very hardcore fanbase in Japan.

Sentenza

Just to reiterate that no one should "feel bad" for someone who's being the cause of their own problems: Atlus said they want to release on PC, but can't due to agreement with Vanillaware.

Unicorn Overlord is heading to PlayStation, Xbox Series consoles, and Switch, but not to PC – is there any reason in particular you chose not to aim for PC at launch? Has there been any discussion about a PC port later on?

Yamamoto:
As a publisher, we would like to deliver it to PC users as well, but per our agreement with Vanillaware, we are only releasing on console. In other words, there are no plans to port it to PC currently.

Top Bottom