• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanillaware recruiting development staff for “new fantasy action RPG”

Vanillaware-RPG-Tease_05-21-24.jpg

Vanillaware is recruiting development staff to work on a “new fantasy action RPG,” according to a post from the company on Twitter.

The recruitment flyer attached to the post specifies that the company is looking to hire programmers, 2D animators, and background designers.
Vanillaware recently released fantasy strategy RPG Unicorn Overlord on March 8 under the publishing arm of ATLUS. The studio’s other recent releases include the adventure game 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim and action RPG Dragon’s Crown, which were also published by ATLUS.

Hudo

My deepest wish would be for Vanillaware to team up with Matsuno and to make a new FF Tactics or something else set in Ivalice. I know that this will never happen since Vanillaware seem content to only work with Atlus but still...

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm so angry at them for never releasing any fucking game on pc (unicorn, god dammit), but I'm so in
I hope they do that in their next game….im not PC gamer but I want to see Vanillaware games be played as many people as possible….they deserve the success.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Day 1 but I guess we won't see it for another 3+ years, will be playing on PS6.
Given that 2d graphics don’t require much power and unicorn overlord is ps4/ps5 cross gen, I’ll be shocked if the ps5 can’t handle all future 4K releases from vanillaware for as long as they support the console.

Reactions: Isa

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Amazing news! Just hoping it doesn't take years for us to see it.

Also quite glad to read it's an action game. Both 13 Sentinels and Unicorn Overlord look pretty cool, but their gameplay isn't really for me.

I do have a feeling in my perineum that we'll get a port of Unicorn Overlord at some point.
I get angry, but it's not the end of the world. As an xcom and such user I usually enrage when I don't have a kbm interface, but the reality is that I'm also used to playing fire emblems and ff tactics and such, so It's not a big deal after all

Paltheos

Cool. I'm playing Unicorn Overlord right now and enjoying it but it is not a favorite of mine from the studio. Muramasa's still #1.* Hopefully this new game can iterate on the systems to create an even cooler action title.

*-UO's in that "I'm glad this exists" space because it's different and better than some of the other genre titles I've played, even if it's not a top Vanillaware title for me.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
i'm not trying to be contrarian or provocative with this (vanillaware 2D is an industry treasure and I love these games) but: much like the recent trend of gatchas and action rpgs have demonstrated you can adapt anime art styles into 3D games (convincingly and at high quality) i've been so curious what a highly stylized, painterly vanillaware art would look like in 3D. especially these days now that the technology makes it (maybe) possible... if for nothing else than to satisfy my own curiosity.

not suggesting that's what they should do (i'll buy whatever they make regardless) but the thought has been in my head for years now pracically every time i see their and similar art. i'm just really curious. kind of like how Arcane was so refreshing and interesting in the animation space. if i could pick one experiment in the 3D space it'd be vanillaware.

although i appreciate this post might be blasphemous / toxic (and probably not original) to the fandom. i love / play the games but have never really been in the communities around them.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
i'm not trying to be contrarian or provocative with this (vanillaware 2D is an industry treasure and I love these games) but: much like the recent trend of gatchas and action rpgs have demonstrated you can adapt anime art styles into 3D games (convincingly and at high quality) i've been so curious what a highly stylized, painterly vanillaware art would look like in 3D. especially these days now that the technology makes it (maybe) possible... if for nothing else than to satisfy my own curiosity.
Vanillaware x Cygames collaboration would be hype if we wanna aim for that 3D format with VW artstyle.

----------

On topic though for the next ARPG they make I hope it's Dragon's Crown 2 or a successor to the OdinSphere/Dragon's Crown/Muramasa type of games they've made in the past.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

not suggesting that's what they should do (i'll buy whatever they make regardless) but the thought has been in my head for years now pracically every time i see their and similar art. i'm just really curious. kind of like how Arcane was so refreshing and interesting in the animation space. if i could pick one experiment in the 3D space it'd be vanillaware.

although i appreciate this post might be blasphemous / toxic (and probably not original) to the fandom. i love / play the games but have never really been in the communities around them.
The entire reason Kamitani created Vanillaware because he want keep hand painted 2D games alive and proof that there is room for this type of games in the industry thats dominated by 3D games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom