• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vegeta's new power up is something else. (Dragon Ball Super Manga spoilers)

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
In the latest chapter of Dragon Ball Super, they revealed what Vegeta learned while training on Planet Yardrat. He's learned "Forced Spirit Fission".

With this new technique, he's now a secret weapon against fused characters. He can split characters that are combined, such as Gotenks or Piccolo. Maybe even Majin Buu from Kai.

PSlayer

In the latest chapter of Dragon Ball Super, they revealed what Vegeta learned while training on Planet Yardrat. He's learned "Forced Spirit Fission".

With this new technique, he's now a secret weapon against fused characters. He can split characters that are combined, such as Gotenks or Piccolo. Maybe even Majin Buu from Kai.

I always thought Piccolo was more like an absorption rather than a fusion,kind of like buu.

NecrosaroIII

It's definitely a different technique, but Vegeta specifically says he could split up Piccolo if he wanted to.

NecrosaroIII

Nope,
The current arc is called the "Galactic Prisoner" arc. A goat dude named Moro has broken out of the Galactic Prison and freed a bunch of people.. He feeds on planets and energy. He's an ancient being that Supreme Kai (the one that Buu absorbed) sealed away. Doesn't fight with energy, but with magic.

It's a pretty cool arc. I've enjoyed it. Goku has now mastered Ultra Instinct Sign, and Vegeta went to train on Yardrat.

kunonabi

Sounds better than the random different shade of blue crap he pulled out of his ass in the ToP that means almost nothing since Ultra Instinct still smokes it anyway.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Wait a second Vegeta’s new fuse counter needs talked about and I could see fans rallying around Vegeta again

Fbh

It's cool but it seems like a very specific power up for this very specific enemy. Would have been more interesting if he got some broader power up to set him apart from Goku. It's also a shame they didn't let him save the day for once.

Also completely unrelated but from the same chapter:

eX47pGg.jpg

Really Piccolo?.....really?

Where'd you see the spoiler? Doesn't it release on the 20th?
It's up now on Mangaplus

KOMANI

KOMANI
He also increased his power and learned instant transmission, albeit he won’t use it again (which is dumb). I’ve seen some scans and it looks like Vegeta still loses even with the upgrades.

LordKasual

Banned
I actually REALLY appreciate how Toyotaro continues the DBZ story...but not only does he continue to follow the logic/power scaling of the original (unlike the fucking anime), but in doing so he keeps coming up with more clever ways to keep the series interesting

but it's very unfortunate how movies keep coming out and the Manga has to just ignore them because of how ridiculous the scaling is.

DBS Broly was an amazing film but by Manga logic, the strongest form of Broly would have gotten roflstomped by Vegeta the moment he went SSJGod and there would have been no movie.

It's cool but it seems like a very specific power up for this very specific enemy. Would have been more interesting if he got some broader power up to set him apart from Goku. It's also a shame they didn't let him save the day for once.

It's specific but it's still a useful ability.....it would have rendered Zamasu in the manga useless since Black was completely outmatched by Vegeta / Goku during that fight towards the end.

But most importantly......now that we know it's possible, fusion is now nullified as a contender for future villains and power scaling?

eX47pGg.jpg

To be fair, the only two times I can remember Vegeta really doing this is when he fought Final Frieza (and cried when he realized) and 18 (who's power level he couldn't read).

Perfect Cell is kind of another one...but to be completely fair, the only one who could accurately read Perfect Cell's power was Korin.

The moment he realized though, he quit fighting and just went for a hail mary gambit that actually almost worked, which is crazy considering the power gap

Last edited:

Piku_Ringo

Banned
I actually REALLY appreciate how Toyotaro continues the DBZ story...but not only does he continue to follow the logic/power scaling of the original (unlike the fucking anime), but in doing so he keeps coming up with more clever ways to keep the series interesting

but it's very unfortunate how movies keep coming out and the Manga has to just ignore them because of how ridiculous the scaling is.

DBS Broly was an amazing film but by Manga logic, the strongest form of Broly would have gotten roflstomped by Vegeta the moment he went SSJGod and there would have been no movie.

I wouldn't got that far as there is some pretty wonky shit scaling in the manga as well.

And even with that new power up, it wasn't enough to prevent him from taking a massive L by the end of chapter

Last edited:

Codes 208

I would say the weirdest part of the chapter was the fact that Moro just straight up vored that power swap guy. Getting cell flashbacks.
I always thought Piccolo was more like an absorption rather than a fusion,kind of like buu.
In this context absorption would imply he took their powers by force, but in both cases he merged his powers with nail and kami but acted as a host body since neither were physically fit.

NecrosaroIII

Rereading the chapter again, even if it had been "absorption", it would still work.
pAQ5POR.png

LordKasual

Banned
I wouldn't got that far as there is some pretty wonky shit scaling in the manga as well.

And even with that new power up, it wasn't enough to prevent him from taking a massive L by the end of chapter

There's some wonky shit, but i feel like the vast majority of it was in the Tournament of Power, and it only really centers around Jiren and Ultra Instinct. The manga has very cleverly managed to avoid the power scaling issues of the Anime by keeping to the original Battle of the Gods logic. Even minuscule amounts of God Ki puts you on a completely different level in the Manga.

I think the way the Manga handled the tournament of power is the best example of the difference between the DBSuper anime and manga.

In the Anime, it was basically an endless shonen slugfest. In the Manga it was a battle of attrition and energy conservation. And because the balance of power between the characters was more logical, it made for much more interesting duels.

I think Kefla vs Gohan was the best example of this -- regardless of how powerful Kale and Caulifla were fused, they should have been nowhere close to the level of strength Gohan would have obtained post-Elder Kai awakening.

even Ultra Instinct isn't as crazy in the manga as it was in the anime

Last edited:

Piku_Ringo

Banned
There's some wonky shit, but i feel like the vast majority of it was in the Tournament of Power, and it only really centers around Jiren and Ultra Instinct. The manga has very cleverly managed to avoid the power scaling issues of the Anime by keeping to the original Battle of the Gods logic. Even minuscule amounts of God Ki puts you on a completely different level in the Manga.

I think the way the Manga handled the tournament of power is the best example of the difference between the DBSuper anime and manga.

In the Anime, it was basically an endless shonen slugfest. In the Manga it was a battle of attrition and energy conservation. And because the balance of power between the characters was more logical, it made for much more interesting duels.

I think Kefla vs Gohan was the best example of this -- regardless of how powerful Kale and Caulifla were fused, they should have been nowhere close to the level of strength Gohan would have obtained post-Elder Kai awakening.

even Ultra Instinct isn't as crazy in the manga as it was in the anime

There was some bullshit even before then. The Beerus vs Goku cop out in the first arc. The universe 6 tournament as well. The Goku black arc, with Future Trunks SSJ2 being on par with post Whis training SSJ3 Goku, that he has no choice but to use God ki to take him out. Immortal Zamasu shown to be a weakling previously by SSB Goku switching back to SSJ to fight him, could now send Red God Vegeta flying away with a kick. TOP manga with Roshi being able to make Jiren look like a chump with his version of UI, was a complete fucking yikes. Kefla vs Gohan wasn't good either. As the Potara multiplier is shown to put the fusion on a completely different level, many times before. Gohan Adsorbed Buu was no match for SSJ Vegito whose two fusee were likely under Pot unlocked Gohan in terms of power at that point in time. And with A Gohan who had slacked off on his training since that time? Even this Moro Arc has its weirdness there. Two months of training to learn how to access Omen stage at will, and Goku couldn't get the job done against someone who isn't even in the realm of the divine. This chapter you got Vegeta with the Evolution Blue form form the anime, beating the fuck outta Moro, and yet ended up getting outmaneuvered by a weakened old man Moro long enough to get a new power up that rolfstomped Vegeta in one panel. But this is DB so stuff like this is going to be par for the course with the franchise.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

It ultimately doesn't matter because Moro outsmarted Vegeta, i expect our favorite Saiyan to save the day.

Its no different from when Vegeta was gonna kill Frieza, or let Cell absorb 18, or let Majin Buu be revived his gloating and pride are his biggest weaknesses

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Vegeta now have the ability to split fusioned character?

So what?

He always get his ass kicked by non fusioned character like frieza, cell, broly, goku black

What about Picollo?

Goku and Vegeta constantly gets power up

He got left behind, please give him something

Oh and where can i read this chapter

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned

So what?

He always get his ass kicked by non fusioned character like frieza, cell, broly, goku black

What about Picollo?

i'll agree with this, it's time to pump up other characters

would also prefer things got darker, i miss the blood and grit of dbz

less power differentials, more techniques

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
You surprised me...I didn't know Super is still going. I though ithas ended in the galaxy survival saga.

And its not like its a big deal. Goku and Vegeta aways powers up and make other characters even more redundant.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

So what?

What about Picollo?

LordKasual

Banned
There was some bullshit even before then. The Beerus vs Goku cop out in the first arc.

Dont really remember this one

The universe 6 tournament as well.

What was bullshit about this?

The Goku black arc, with Future Trunks SSJ2 being on par with post Whis training SSJ3 Goku, that he has no choice but to use God ki to take him out.

There's nothing strange about that. That whole "Base form so strong I can beat powered up people" nonsense is an Anime-Only thing in DBSuper.

Goku still very much has to transform to fight people when he's not in his God forms, his non-god forms are more or less around the same level they were at DBZ. Trunks presumably trained and mastered the SSJ2 form to the same degree that Goku mastered SSJ1.

And honestly, SSJ3 was never a good form. It tires him out if he can't win immediately, and it's power hungry, so I doubt that Goku could have even beaten Gohan by the end of the Buu saga, ignoring Goku's superior skill.

So honestly i'm not really surprised that Trunks could have trained enough to beat Goku. Goku doesn't really train SSJ3, and SSJGod is better in literally every way.

Immortal Zamasu shown to be a weakling previously by SSB Goku switching back to SSJ to fight him, could now send Red God Vegeta flying away with a kick.
Don't really remember this either. A kick doesn't really mean anything, Zamasu couldn't beat either Goku or Vegeta at any form.

TOP manga with Roshi being able to make Jiren look like a chump with his version of UI, was a complete fucking yikes.

To be honest this is the worst part of the Manga, but to be fair, there's only so much the manga can do to FORCE Goku to learn UI within the scope of a single tournament.

I'll say that I like the idea of him learning it by example of Roshi. Roshi had the most influence on Goku's base fighting style.....the rest of his training from others has mostly been spiritual / strength training, and he hasn't learned from Roshi since.

The little conversation where Goku's training spectrum comes full-circle when Roshi is explaining it to him was really well done.

Kefla vs Gohan wasn't good either. As the Potara multiplier is shown to put the fusion on a completely different level, many times before. Gohan Adsorbed Buu was no match for SSJ Vegito whose two fusee were likely under Pot unlocked Gohan in terms of power at that point in time. And with A Gohan who had slacked off on his training since that time?

Caulifla is strong, but she's nothing much to write home about -- Kale was powerful, but the whole middle / last half of the Cell saga was explaining how raw power alone isn't enough to beat good opponents, something Vegeta actually alluded to right before Kale was beaten by the weaker Pride Troopers.

So saying Gohan can't beat Kefla is pretty much like saying Gohan can't beat Gotenks. And i'm pretty sure Gohan would have wiped the floor with Gotenks. Potara combined their total power levels with a multiplier, but neither of them were really that strong to begin with.

And Gohan isn't half as weak in the Manga as in the Anime......DBSuper isn't even that long after the Buu saga but Gohan literally lost like 50lbs of muscle in the anime for some dumb reason.

Even this Moro Arc has its weirdness there. Two months of training to learn how to access Omen stage at will, and Goku couldn't get the job done against someone who isn't even in the realm of the divine. This chapter you got Vegeta with the Evolution Blue form form the anime, beating the fuck outta Moro, and yet ended up getting outmaneuvered by a weakened old man Moro long enough to get a new power up that rolfstomped Vegeta in one panel. But this is DB so stuff like this is going to be par for the course with the franchise.

Two months with an angel like Whis. A stretch but not too crazy.

As for Moro, "MAGIC" seems to be on (or near) the same level as "Divine" as far as DBZ goes. Even Zamasu was able to incapacitate god-form Goku

Vegeta isn't using "Evolution Blue", it's something completely different, and judging from the aura it seems to be on a different path from Completed Blue that Goku/Vegeta have been using up until now. The Aura on Blue has mostly been confirmed to be a sign of inefficiency.

Vegeta stalling long enough for Moro to get stronger again absolutely was a bullshit move tho and something I feel like he absolutely wouldn't do at this point in the Manga, especially after their fight with Zamasu.

Last edited:

Shouta

eX47pGg.jpg

It's up now on Mangaplus

NecrosaroIII

It is okay that Vegeta got jobbed last month. Because everyone got jobbed this month.

Let's see if Merus can hold his own.

Top Bottom