• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This new chapter of Dragon Ball Super was pretty damn cool

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Huge reveals this chapter. This arc is called the Granolah the Survivor arc. Granolah is the sole survivor of a planet called Cereal that was wiped out by the Saiyans under Frieza's orders 40 years ago.

This chapter revealed that after his planet was destroyed, a gang called the Heeters came in and rebuilt the planet and sold it off to a random group of aliens. Granolah lives on the planet's wilderness with an ancient Namekian named Monaito. This chapter dropped a HUGE bombshell. Namekians aren't from planet Namek. In fact, they're not even from this universe. They're from someplace entirely different. Could be from another universe (such as Universe 6, which also has Namekians). Or they could be from an other dimension entirely. Can't wait to see that developed.

Meanwhile, Beerus is clearly training Vegeta to be the next God of Destruction. While they were having a conversation, in which Vegeta was saying it was the Saiyan's fate to be destroyed, Beerus mocks Vegeta and tells them it wasn't fate. He tells Vegeta it was he himself that had told Frieza to destroy the Saiyana homeworld. This enrages Vegeta and they "fight", but Beerus explains it that without destruction you can't have creation.

I'm pretty stoked by the developments in this arc so far. Granolah is a cool character and I hope they do something neat with him. And it's neat seeing them expand on the lore f the Namekians. Hopefully that gets Piccolo involved and doing cool shit. And I can't wait to see Vegeta dressed in God of Destruction clothes.

Soodanim

Gold Member
It sounds like fan-fiction. Given that the Gods of Destruction have been explained as coming from the same place as the Supreme Kais - they’re divine beings - it makes no sense for Vegeta to take over as one.

NecrosaroIII

It sounds like fan-fiction. Given that the Gods of Destruction have been explained as coming from the same place as the Supreme Kais - they’re divine beings - it makes no sense for Vegeta to take over as one.
There have been other characters that were perspective Gods of Destruction. Such as Top

Shouta

This arc seems like it's off to a decent start. I wasn't really a fan of the Moro arc much but this looks promising.

NahaNago

How high can Goku and Vegeta even go at this point. The only true opponents they have are demon and angel opponents outside of special ability opponents. They seriously need a new dimension of people to overcome. I thought the wish to restore those worlds would have ended up restoring the world destroyed in the past allowing new enemies to emerge so we could have at least had those guys to fight before going the god of destruction route. I really do feel like they didn't plan out Dragon ball Super's storyline.

Soodanim

Gold Member
How high can Goku and Vegeta even go at this point. The only true opponents they have are demon and angel opponents outside of special ability opponents. They seriously need a new dimension of people to overcome. I thought the wish to restore those worlds would have ended up restoring the world destroyed in the past allowing new enemies to emerge so we could have at least had those guys to fight before going the god of destruction route. I really do feel like they didn't plan out Dragon ball Super's storyline.
I just read through the Wiki summary of the arc previous to the OP, and we learn:

There are different tiers of Ultra Instinct, and since the tournament Goku can’t even get the lowest base form, called Ultra Instinct Sign. By the end he gets proper Ultra Instinct. Vegeta starts to learn different sorts of powers to Goku by learning some of the expanding form of Instant Transmission from the king of that planet, and at the start of this current arc we learn Beerus doesn’t use Ultra Instinct and is going to train Vegeta in achieving that. Should be more interesting to have Vegeta not just chase Goku in the same lane all the time. The villains use power copying stuff, which is why they can get one over on the good guys.

I guess Goku’s journey is how they explain why anything is even a remote threat, but I don’t know what they’re going to do this time to justify Goku not being able to instantly win given that he’s on a god of destruction’s level and trained with an angel. Must be multiversal if they’re saying that about Namekians.

I hope it all comes to anime form in time.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

This arc seems like it's off to a decent start. I wasn't really a fan of the Moro arc much but this looks promising.

I thought the Moro arc was okay. Some cool concepts, but it failed to capitalize on them. Moro's design wsa fun at least.

NecrosaroIII

It feels like they tried to hide these naming puns more in the past, because this just feels ridiculous.

They were always pretty blatant in the Japanese version. The localization team is what changed things up.

Codes 208

Explain toppo being a mortal that was being groomed to be the next GoD for Uni 11.

or how Whis has even directly mentioned he was hoping to train goku or vegeta into being the next GoD

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Oh god they going to give picollo a powerboost again? like they did with freeza? so they make something up and boom he's directly 10 ssj transformations stronger in 1 day.

Codes 208

That’s easy - I forgot that happened
To elaborate, the supreme kais all come from the same place and once paired with a GoD, they are linked til death so there’s definitely an importance there.

that said, people suggesting goku being a kai to vegeta’s GoD sounds VERY fan-fictional

I'm surprised Beerus told Vegeta he ordered for the Saiyans to be annihilated. This better not turn out to be something that Vegeta forgives Beerus for or forgets in the next chapter.

NecrosaroIII

I'm surprised Beerus told Vegeta he ordered for the Saiyans to be annihilated. This better not turn out to be something that Vegeta forgives Beerus for or forgets in the next chapter.
The thing about Beerus is destruction for him is basically a natural occurance. He's much more a force of nature in his capacities as a Destroyer. Being upset with Beerus would be lime being upset at a hurricane.

DESTROYA

As someone that has only read and seen the Anime up to the Bu saga will I be completely lost starting this or is there other arcs I should read before this ?
Was into DB when I was younger but never caught up to DBS .

They should do a reboot at this point. The movie with broly was just as ridiculous.

O-N-E

Sounds really stupid tbh.

Any "reveals" happening now were likely made up within a few weeks of the chapter release. This shit isn't very intricate.

The thing about Beerus is destruction for him is basically a natural occurance. He's much more a force of nature in his capacities as a Destroyer. Being upset with Beerus would be lime being upset at a hurricane.
You can't really call it a natural occurrence when he literally gave the order to Frieza to do it, it was planned and deliberate. If Vegeta doesn't have the same hate for Beerus as he does for Frieza this is gonna be really stupid imo.

Saber

Gold Member
Frankly, who the fuck cares. The only thing I like is that Beerus finally told Vegeta that he was the reason Freeza destroyed planet Vegeta. Its nothing to boast and nothing to be glorified at all. When Goku gets a new power level Vegeta aways follow him. This time its only seems to be a different route, its getting boring already.

You want something new? Let other characters reach higher levels and have more meanifull battles. Goku and Vegeta being ultra mega retarded power is old already.

NecrosaroIII

You can't really call it a natural occurrence when he literally gave the order to Frieza to do it, it was planned and deliberate. If Vegeta doesn't have the same hate for Beerus as he does for Frieza this is gonna be really stupid imo.
It's a natural occurance because Beerus himself is destruction personified

Lanrutcon

That's great!

And for anyone who thinks it's too stupid...have you watched DBZ? yes? Then relay to me the events of the very first DBZ arc. Go on and remind yourself that it's always been stupid.

And that's what makes it great.

It's a natural occurance because Beerus himself is destruction personified
If Vegeta actually forgives Beerus because of this technicality its gonna be stupid af. If Beerus destroyed Trunks is he supposed to be okay with it because its a "natural occurrence" because Beerus is "destruction personified?"

Vegeta's purpose for training after this chapter shouldn't be to surpass Goku anymore, it should be to kill Beerus.

Last edited:

NahaNago

They should do a reboot at this point. The movie with broly was just as ridiculous.
The broly movie while I enjoyed the fight. The new depiction of the Saiyans was weird. I didn't like Bardock's new look. Broly's new power up was ridiculous. The one thing I did like was seeing how the grunts lived in Frieza's forces. I seriously want a more in depth look at Frieza's empire.
I just read through the Wiki summary of the arc previous to the OP, and we learn:

There are different tiers of Ultra Instinct, and since the tournament Goku can’t even get the lowest base form, called Ultra Instinct Sign. By the end he gets proper Ultra Instinct. Vegeta starts to learn different sorts of powers to Goku by learning some of the expanding form of Instant Transmission from the king of that planet, and at the start of this current arc we learn Beerus doesn’t use Ultra Instinct and is going to train Vegeta in achieving that. Should be more interesting to have Vegeta not just chase Goku in the same lane all the time. The villains use power copying stuff, which is why they can get one over on the good guys.

I guess Goku’s journey is how they explain why anything is even a remote threat, but I don’t know what they’re going to do this time to justify Goku not being able to instantly win given that he’s on a god of destruction’s level and trained with an angel. Must be multiversal if they’re saying that about Namekians.

I hope it all comes to anime form in time.
spoiler for past tournament arc and last manga arc They should have shown that Beerus was ridiculous in strength. Defeating Jiren with 4 guys who is suppose to have the strength of a god of destruction. Really makes gods of destruction look not that strong. This ultra instinct level thing is why I think the story telling has been weak this time around. They introduce it but don't tell folks that their are several layers to it while training them to be able to use. Copying stuff is fine we got that from the cell saga and Moro's ability from the Buu saga.I But we did just have them take over goku's body earlier in Super just to use the Saiyans innate ability to grow. Moro was a pretty boring arc for me. The Goku and Vegeta in the same lane I thought was alright since they are just using chi and they are both Saiyans so anything one can do another should be able to do eventually. Having them branch off and having different teachers is fine but they are training right beside each other at the same time so it's odd. Why not train both.

Goku's crazy growth strength is okay to a certain extent if they have an actual path laid out for it which I doubt is the case. Personally I would like for them to spread out the general dragon ball main story line by having them doing series on the other characters. We already have that Yamcha isekai story, do another story on Gohan and great saiyaman, a story for Piccolo's growth so he doesn't get completely left behind, tien was a cool character why not do one for him, Bulma's family crazy mad scientist wacky stories would be great, goten and trunks training story and hijinx, master roshi backstory, Frieza and his forces, the other saiyan universe, and they have several more characters I'm sure they could do. They could pretty much make Dragon ball universe lasts for a whole another decade just from all of these spinoffs they could do while slowly moving the main story line similar to dc and marvel with all of the characters getting their own comic book line. (Master Roshi might be a bit complicated to do in this me too era but I still really want to see his growth in strength.)

Last edited:

ChazAshley

Gold Member
^^^^ this. As a kid, filler episodes would drive me nuts because I wanted to get to the fighting. But now I'm appreciating some of them more. They're fun, a good break from all the seriousness, and adds at least some depth to the characters.

Overall I liked DBS. Nothing too deep or life changing but it was fun to have new Dragonball to look forward to. My biggest gripe with the series has been the loss of unique attacks. Hellzone grenade, destruction disc, final flash, special beam cannon, etc. Immediately you got tons of memorable attacks. But in DBS I honestly can't recall anything like that. That's why the new transformations grew super old to me after a while. Ultra instinct was cool, but at the end of the day, it was yet another power buff.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Huge reveals this chapter. This arc is called the Granolah the Survivor arc. Granolah is the sole survivor of a planet called Cereal that was wiped out by the Saiyans under Frieza's orders 40 years ago.

This chapter revealed that after his planet was destroyed, a gang called the Heeters came in and rebuilt the planet and sold it off to a random group of aliens. Granolah lives on the planet's wilderness with an ancient Namekian named Monaito. This chapter dropped a HUGE bombshell. Namekians aren't from planet Namek. In fact, they're not even from this universe. They're from someplace entirely different. Could be from another universe (such as Universe 6, which also has Namekians). Or they could be from an other dimension entirely. Can't wait to see that developed.

Meanwhile, Beerus is clearly training Vegeta to be the next God of Destruction. While they were having a conversation, in which Vegeta was saying it was the Saiyan's fate to be destroyed, Beerus mocks Vegeta and tells them it wasn't fate. He tells Vegeta it was he himself that had told Frieza to destroy the Saiyana homeworld. This enrages Vegeta and they "fight", but Beerus explains it that without destruction you can't have creation.

I'm pretty stoked by the developments in this arc so far. Granolah is a cool character and I hope they do something neat with him. And it's neat seeing them expand on the lore f the Namekians. Hopefully that gets Piccolo involved and doing cool shit. And I can't wait to see Vegeta dressed in God of Destruction clothes.
Damn. So Beerus finally told him. But, you know why, right? Provoke Vegeta's fighting spirit. I want more Super, however, the Arc with Moro was somewhat disappointing. Seems more like epic filler with a few interesting points, imho.
I haven't read beyond the end of said Arc.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Read Dragonball Super for a whil,e then just dropped it and never went back. :)

For me it feels way more cheap and bad than Dragonball or Dragonball Z

NahaNago

^^^^ this. As a kid, filler episodes would drive me nuts because I wanted to get to the fighting. But now I'm appreciating some of them more. They're fun, a good break from all the seriousness, and adds at least some depth to the characters.

Overall I liked DBS. Nothing too deep or life changing but it was fun to have new Dragonball to look forward to. My biggest gripe with the series has been the loss of unique attacks. Hellzone grenade, destruction disc, final flash, special beam cannon, etc. Immediately you got tons of memorable attacks. But in DBS I honestly can't recall anything like that. That's why the new transformations grew super old to me after a while. Ultra instinct was cool, but at the end of the day, it was yet another power buff.
I guess you could call them filler. I just wanted to see more depth in the characters and the world. I keep wanting to see more of all these characters we know and love. Dragon ball super is unfortunately not as good as dbz in giving room to tell the story of a large cast.

Frankly, who the fuck cares. The only thing I like is that Beerus finally told Vegeta that he was the reason Freeza destroyed planet Vegeta. Its nothing to boast and nothing to be glorified at all. When Goku gets a new power level Vegeta aways follow him. This time its only seems to be a different route, its getting boring already.

You want something new? Let other characters reach higher levels and have more meanifull battles. Goku and Vegeta being ultra mega retarded power is old already.
It still pisses me off that they never capitalised on Gohans power in DBZ. They were setting him up to be the most powerful, and in my eyes, he was going to surpass Goku and become the hero. By the end of DBZ he could have been the best, and then Super could have focused on him saving the world like DBZ focused on Goku. But no, we just have Vegeta and Goku leveling up to such unbelievable godlike powers that it seems ridiculous at this point.

Soodanim

Gold Member
It still pisses me off that they never capitalised on Gohans power in DBZ. They were setting him up to be the most powerful, and in my eyes, he was going to surpass Goku and become the hero. By the end of DBZ he could have been the best, and then Super could have focused on him saving the world like DBZ focused on Goku. But no, we just have Vegeta and Goku leveling up to such unbelievable godlike powers that it seems ridiculous at this point.
Everyone’s still waiting for that Gohan redemption that is never coming. Shame, it makes perfect sense. That’s why I like Vegeta doing something different instead of chasing Goku - no one will ever outshine the main character for long.

Fbh

Seems ok so far.
The last arc had an interesting beginning but got pretty bad by the end.

And yeah I agree the naming is getting silly.

Cleared_Hot

Aside from the lazy naming of things (I mean at least they didn't just call vegeta "vegetable"... So they could be a tad more subtle with planet fucking cereal and naming people oatmeal and making characters don't about cereal and calling them fucking sugar) but I digress.

Plot is going well. I like it so far.

Last edited:

Not really surprising imo, as far as we know, Super DbS' creator Zalama the Dragon God might as well be a really powerful namekian

Everyone’s still waiting for that Gohan redemption that is never coming. Shame, it makes perfect sense. That’s why I like Vegeta doing something different instead of chasing Goku - no one will ever outshine the main character for long.
Even if Gohan fans like me are sad about him, at least with pre ToP Gohan, I 100% quote this, its life is perfectly coherent and in-character, he wants to be a scholar and he hates fighting

On the other side, he should be more responsible, he has a family to protect, he's one of the most powerful beings around, and with the greatest potential among all the z warriors ( even Vegeta in Super states so) so he should regularly have training to be always in shape, otherwise if goku and vegeta for whatever reason are out of the game, Earth is pretty much fucked

Granolah from the planet fucking Cereal. Jesus fucking christ, I used to love DBZ but this is just ridiculous lmao. More ridiculous than Freizas dad being named Cooler.
Does this planet have infinite amounts of Cinnamon Toast Crunch/ If so, this planet is pretty lit.

It’s almost like he didn’t learn that lesson from Cell. It’s not like Videl doesn’t know, seeing as she figured it out and asked him during the Buu saga.
I think if he kept training, just in case, like an emergency switch, his arc would have been 100% pure perfection

Soodanim

Gold Member
I think if he kept training, just in case, like an emergency switch, his arc would have been 100% pure perfection
Shame it’s a bit too late to circle back around to the original “Gohan is the new Goku”, but after all the instant power ups they’ve thrown at people and the HTC they might as well bring him up to speed.

RIP Mystic Gohan, you did fuck all

Top Bottom