• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Velocity 2X |OT| Yippee Kai Yay ************

Shame some are not enjoying their time with it. However, tough to please everyone. I love going for perfects on levels, the speed and precision needed can be tough at times, but that is what makes the game so gratifying. Also love the addition of bosses.

Definitely one of the best games to me this year.

SerTapTap

Shame some are not enjoying their time with it. However, tough to please everyone. I love going for perfects on levels, the speed and precision needed can be tough at times, but that is what makes the game so gratifying. Also love the addition of bosses.

Definitely one of the best games to me this year.

I'm more surprised/disapointed people can't decouple their personal preference from the quality of the product. Even if it's not "for you" it's pretty clearly a high-quality product for the type it is.

How is this game on Remote Play.

Just play the Vita version. It controls fine, but is 30 FPS instead of 60 (yes the Vita version is 60) and does'nt include touch controls in case you like them. It's also cross-save.

Kalamoj

I just started the game (i'm on lvl 15) It's excellent. I'm only having a hard time with switching between ship and foot sections. I think they should be different stages.
But I guess I'll be better over time.

Am I the only one who thinks 2X is a bit slower than Ultra was?

garyBig

This game feels like the brilliant sequel I expected it to be. That music, good lord. But most of all, this is gameplay at its very best.

I just started the game (i'm on lvl 15) It's excellent. I'm only having a hard time with switching between ship and foot sections. I think they should be different stages.

Things get very fast later on, don't you worry.

DBT85

Ok, first 25 levels played now, only about 10 Perfected.

I find the platforming teleporting to really interrupt the flow of an otherwise great level. Maybe it's just getting the technique right, but one level I zipped all the way through and right at the end there is a platforming bit with telepods and I just ground to a halt.

At this stage I think I'd have preferred the platforming levels to have been split from the vert scrolling, but that may well change the more I play.

Also the Critical Urgency levels seem less frequent than others at this stage, maybe that's just perception.

SerTapTap

Ok, first 25 levels played now, only about 10 Perfected.

I find the platforming teleporting to really interrupt the flow of an otherwise great level. Maybe it's just getting the technique right, but one level I zipped all the way through and right at the end there is a platforming bit with telepods and I just ground to a halt.

At this stage I think I'd have preferred the platforming levels to have been split from the vert scrolling, but that may well change the more I play.

Also the Critical Urgency levels seem less frequent than others at this stage, maybe that's just perception.

How so? If you mean the thrown telepods, yeah, I wish telepods snapped to set angles and locked-on to "reflection" panels at the right angel or something, throwing them juuuuuust riiiight in certain sections is quite unpleasant. Only loses a second or two usually, but due to the pace of the game it feels really unfortunate.

If you mean the normal square button teleport, it really shouldn't break the pace, I actually find it much better than the ship teleport because it's a fixed distance, 100% predictable, feels great. You just have to get used to the distance you'll teleport.

Actual movement speed or game pacing? It picks up later on, the game structure is very accessible but that means the first 10 levels are extremely easy. As for the scroll speed I think it's about the same as Ultra.

DBT85

How so? If you mean the thrown telepods, yeah, I wish telepods snapped to set angles and locked-on to "reflection" panels at the right angel or something, throwing them juuuuuust riiiight in certain sections is quite unpleasant. Only loses a second or two usually, but due to the pace of the game it feels really unfortunate.

If you mean the normal square button teleport, it really shouldn't break the pace, I actually find it much better than the ship teleport because it's a fixed distance, 100% predictable, feels great. You just have to get used to the distance you'll teleport.

Oh I only mean the thrown ones.

Just spent the last 20 minutes Perfecting lvl 9. I got all the way through once and missed one survivor, and another time crashed with 2 jumps to go. Mucho rage.

Started playing this earlier, literally only done about 7 or 8 levels, but it's amazing so far. I adore the style and presentation, and the music, my God the music. I'm going you buy it on PSN as soon as I get some time on my PS3 later.

Fantastic game. Although I never finished Velocity Ultra and iI kind of feel like I should at least get to the end of that first.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Are all the unlockable bonus levels the same type? I've only unlocked a couple an they're both this puzzle type stage with portals. I likes the don't touch the sides stages in Ultra. Anything like that to unlock?

I'm more surprised/disapointed people can't decouple their personal preference from the quality of the product. Even if it's not "for you" it's pretty clearly a high-quality product for the type it is.

Many gamers are horribly incapable of being objective. I'm always bemused when someone calls a game like Diablo 3 or Resident Evil 6 the "worst game ever" or suchlike.

Someone help me out please. On level 22, Vokh Patrol, I can do everything perfectly but always miss out on about 30 points. Where the hell are they?! There must be a secret area I'm missing.

I'm loving this so far. I'm 15 or so levels into this now and I'm addicted to trying to perfect the levels. The shoot em up bits are as excellent as ever and the on foot stuff is surprisingly solid, I was worried that those sections would feel forced and out of place in the game but they work great in conjunction with the flying bits. This might be my favourite Vita game released this year. I've not tried the PS4 version yet, but the game looks and feels perfect on the Vita.

SkylineRKR

This is the fucking best gaming OST I've heard this year. Its currently 60% of my enjoyment. And the game itself is getting more and more fun after the first 10 or so levels.

What I like about this music, is that it continues through scenes, level select, gameplay etc.

So its by Joris eh? He's The Man! Killzone 3 theme was great as well.

bombshell

Someone help me out please. On level 22, Vokh Patrol, I can do everything perfectly but always miss out on about 30 points. Where the hell are they?! There must be a secret area I'm missing.

I was missing 10 points in my first run through that level, but I just went back and played it now slowly only focusing on the score (picking up everything) and I got max score.

Make sure you pick up everything and destroy every little piece of glass. There's a few health and ammo upgrade pick ups that are easy to overlook when going fast. 30 points must mean it's something small you're missing.

GeoramA

I really don't have the patience for games like this anymore. When I don't get the gold on a level I just rage quit and want to throw my controller. And I've only played 3 levels, lol.

SerTapTap

I really don't have the patience for games like this anymore. When I don't get the gold on a level I just rage quit and want to throw my controller. And I've only played 3 levels, lol.

You don't actually NEED gold to continue...you can just take it easy, but try and collect all the stuff, then go back to try perfects later.

GeoramA

You don't actually NEED gold to continue...you can just take it easy, but try and collect all the stuff, then go back to try perfects later.
I planned to play it that way, but that replay option just tempts the hell out of you after completing the level. I'm gonna play it again, but it's just going to end the same way :(

DBT85

3 levels is like thinking you've failed a job interview after saying good morning to the receptionist.

Play the first 15 or so and then go back and try getting the Perfects on the first 5. You've got to get your rhythm right and your fingers in the groove. Velocity isn't a game anyone can just pick up and Perfect the levels on the first or second go.

SerTapTap

I planned to play it that way, but that replay option just tempts the hell out of you after completing the level. I'm gonna play it again, but it's just going to end the same way :(

Yeah I get that, but the game teaches a lot to you over the first half of the game, I'd really just see what the game has to offer first, and in learning that you'll get better at general optimization too. I guarantee trying to perfect every level before playing the next would result in significantly more playtime/attempts than playing the game "normally" once then going back to perfect everything one at a time.

DBT85

Only played through the first 10 levels, but wish the teleporting was mapped to directional swipes on the touch pad.

But you sometimes need to jump different amounts and at times needs to be very accurate.

Just don't see it being possible at any decent speed.

memo_rx

Neo Member
I tried yesterday for an hour or so, it didn't grab my full attention for some reason. I am really stressed at the moment so I will give it I try some other time, I was hoping for a Hotline Miami kinda rush, but nope.

SerTapTap

But you sometimes need to jump different amounts and at times needs to be very accurate.

I kinda wish ship teleports were fixed distance like platforming segments, after playing all the platforming levels. The 3 most fliddly things in the game are thrown telepods (by far), teleporting more than the minimum distance in ship (or, heaven help you, not in a straight line) and releasing R1 to use the hand canon in platforming sections. I think all could use some tightening up.

GRaider81

Love the game.

Very tricky to get hang of the controls and to try and coordinate everything quickly.

Very polished too.

Samus4145

Longer swipes maybe?

I'm a fan of hitting square while running around, but not a fan of doing it when in the ship.

Corto

I just had the time to play today late at night... WOW. Had to stumble for 5 minutes or so until muscle memory kicked in and then I was at home again. The sweaty palms, the pushing the R button with such strength that I almost think I'm going to break it, the hypnotic infinitesimal fail/instant restart cycle (the R button plus L button instant restart menu is a great addition!), it all made perfect zen sense at that point. hehe I only played until the first level of Kai. That I loved by the way. I play the game trying to perfect each level in order and only then jumping to the next, so this will take a while. I need some kind of a tip though. On level 2 "Flashback" I can't for the life of me reach the point threshold for perfect status. And I can't see what else I can do. I am boosting almost thorugh the entire level painfully shaving microseconds to my final time but I always fall short. Any hints?

Ah. And the soundtrack? Fantastic like V Ultra. And a final word for the UI, the leaderboards, and the in-game messaging/invite system that is superbly well implemented, all are top notch work and show a great level of maturity of this studio. Futurlab is destined to greatness.

Croc

Banned
I just had the time to play today late at night... WOW. Had to stumble for 5 minutes or so until muscle memory kicked in and then I was at home again. The sweaty palms, the pushing the R button with such strength that I almost think I'm going to break it, the hypnotic infinitesimal fail/instant restart cycle (the R button plus L button instant restart menu is a great addition!), it all made perfect zen sense at that point. hehe I only played until the first level of Kai. That I loved by the way. I play the game trying to perfect each level in order and only then jumping to the next, so this will take a while. I need some kind of a tip though. On level 2 "Flashback" I can't for the life of me reach the point threshold for perfect status. And I can't see what else I can do. I am boosting almost thorugh the entire level painfully shaving microseconds to my final time but I always fall short. Any hints?

As much as you may like playing like this, you definitely do NOT want to play the game like this. As you progress through the game you gain new powers as well as upgrade old ones. There's not really much point in trying to perfect every level when it'll be way easier in the future.

I'm not 100% sure but I think it might even be impossible to perfect some levels your first time through. I'd recommend just beating the game one time and then cycling through the levels a second time with perfection as your goal.

Now if anyone ever asks me if I've done anything great in my life, I can proudly tell them "This one time I beat Wario64 for the #1 spot on level 32 of Velocity 2x."

Earlier today I was 8th on a level and he was 9th. That's probably changed by now.

DBT85

I play the game trying to perfect each level in order and only then jumping to the next, so this will take a while. I need some kind of a tip though. On level 2 "Flashback" I can't for the life of me reach the point threshold for perfect status. And I can't see what else I can do. I am boosting almost thorugh the entire level painfully shaving microseconds to my final time but I always fall short. Any hints?

You can't. Some levels will be entirely impossible (not hard, literally impossible) until you've unlocked a few of your abilities a little later.

lvl 2 for example requires that you have bombs.

EDIT: You can, but its easier once you have the rest of your abilities.

wouwie

You can't. Some levels will be entirely impossible (not hard, literally impossible) until you've unlocked a few of your abilities a little later.

lvl 2 for example requires that you have bombs.

I played and perfected until level 16 so far playing level by level (in order) so it is possible at least until then (and probably even further). However, i did have the feeling that some of the levels would have been easier with abilities that i unlocked in later levels (e.g. bombs). Going forward, i think i will concentrate on finishing the story first and then try to perfect the levels.

DBT85

I played and perfected until level 16 so far playing level by level (in order) so it is possible at least until then (and probably even further). However, i did have the feeling that some of the levels would have been easier with abilities that i unlocked in later levels (e.g. bombs). Going forward, i think i will concentrate on finishing the story first and then try to perfect the levels.

I could have sworn you needed bombs to blow up the glass to the right in lvl 2 to get the Perfect?

EDIT: it seems smashing that glass only gets you extra points which are not needed. My bad.

Wozman23

Just finished my first playthrough tonight. It's amazing how much better 2X is than Ultra - and I thought Ultra (and even the mini) were near-perfect at the time. It's exponentially better on every level. The art direction, duality of the gameplay, and overall increase in challenge - all amazing! And it all feels and plays so well.

I managed to perfect the first 25 levels - I'm still a bit rough with the platforming - but I don't know how I'm gonna perfect some of the last levels. I do know, even with the hundreds of fiery deaths, I'll be grinning ear to ear.

Mockerre

What kind of games do you like?

Almost all of them :D Action games, rpgs, jrpgs, shooters, TPS, strategy games, sidescrollers, indie platformers, you name it ;) I get what they were going for with Velocity, I just think they failed a bit...

RedAssedApe

Banned
i have come to terms that i suck at twitchy stuff like this...shmups...etc

probably why i dont think titles like resogun and this are amazing. its still fun though and pretty forgiving for those of us with slower reflexes lol

i'm like one of those fodder x-wing pilots flying through the trenches of the death star.

It took me about 15 stages but I'm now finally hooked! My hands feel like they're going to fall off! I haven't been this addicted to a game since Resogun. Very fun :)

Top Bottom