• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Velocity 2X |OT| Yippee Kai Yay ************

SerTapTap

Is it required to play the Vita version?

No, controls just the same as Velocity Ultra did, though you can double tap triangle to return to the last telepod now (works the same on PS4 or you can use L2 to do it with a single button press). Square is still teleport just like on PS4. Touch Teleporting is just a nice bonus if you want--you can even turn it off.

Great options in this game btw; you can invert bomb throwing direction, skip seen cutscenes/tutorials, turn off the touchscreen or even left stick if you don't want to use them.

Am I only one that used the touch teleporting?

Aww thanks. I promise I don't ALWAYS screw up the intro of the videos. This is actually the first in over a month so pretty rusty.
There's no way I could've done perfects in ultra without touch teleporting. So no. You're not the only one. Lol

Also great video review! Will def watch more.
But PLEASE stop saying "uuhm" all the time. It's a lil distracting.

roboshawn

Neo Member
Wait - how did I not know about this until today?! I loved the mini and enjoyed replaying it with Velocity Ultra ... I can't wait to get home ... listening to music now.

Kalamoj

Ahhhh. This is one of my most anticipated game this year, the wait is unbearable.

Your video made this even worse Sir Taptap
it was too good

SerTapTap

Just "finished" all the DLC Critical Urgency missions. They're all tricky, but should still be easy enough to finish within the actual time limit. Now, getting GOLD on them...very very hard. All survivors/crystals/points are quite easy. Play AFTER finishing the game, of course, they unrepentantly place difficult split-second techniques left and right. Very speedrun/optimizing oriented but they're safe to at least give a shot at.

Pulling the tricks off in the levels looks VERY badass too.

Speedrunning protip: L1+R1 brings you straight to the reset menu with YES selected.

Critical Urgency 5 spoilers?
place a telepod before a speedboost then hit it and teleport several times to max momentum! Hold X too because stuff comes at you FAST

SerTapTap

that trick is actually in the DLC trailer

Oh, the ingame dialog treats it like a secret, I guess because it's more a speedrun trick than something you use for normal play, at least outside of these levels.

Also great video review! Will def watch more.
But PLEASE stop saying "uuhm" all the time. It's a lil distracting.

Easier said than done, it's a reflex I guess. Gone a month without videos too, trying to get back into the hang of it. I think 2X went pretty well considering

SirCrush

Haha so I ignored all the comments about the soundtrack for the game - hell I tend to pay no mind to initial reactions to ANYTHING game related these days - but once I fired up V2X I was blown away at the first few tracks I heard. EVentually I made my way to the Credits and, no surprise here, Joris De Man is responsible for this audio bliss that feed my ears. That dude has quickly become one of my fav game composers of all time. WHY did they pass on him for Shadow Fall!?

Agent X

Gold Member
I tried the PS4 version so far, and I'm really impressed! It looks really sharp, the sound is kickin', and the controls are fluid. I love all the subtle graphical touches, such as the lighting and the distortion effect when you teleport.

I see that there's already a lot of fierce competition on the online scoreboards. Now I've got plenty of motivation to replay the levels and improve my scores.

Don't want to waste any more time posting about the game right now, when I could be playing it instead. :)

Oh, the ingame dialog treats it like a secret, I guess because it's more a speedrun trick than something you use for normal play, at least outside of these levels.

Easier said than done, it's a reflex I guess. Gone a month without videos too, trying to get back into the hang of it. I think 2X went pretty well considering
The video was awesome! I know it's hard to get rid of a crutch but it was just some constructive criticism.

I'm having trouble coming to grips with this game. Like should I always be boosting? It just feels so wrong to stop boosting in order to teleport on the ship stages. It also took me a couple of minutes to realize that you don't have to fly into the very top of the screen. I just don't know about this game. I'm hoping I suddenly get it. I hope it's the kind of game that you "get" naturally and not that you have to replay each stage until you figure them out one at a time.

Carl

I'm having trouble coming to grips with this game. Like should I always be boosting? It just feels so wrong to stop boosting in order to teleport on the ship stages. It also took me a couple of minutes to realize that you don't have to fly into the very top of the screen. I just don't know about this game. I'm hoping I suddenly get it. I hope it's the kind of game that you "get" naturally and not that you have to replay each stage until you figure them out one at a time.

You don't need to stop boosting to teleport. Ideally you should be holding boost for 99% of the level. It's hard to get into the swing of but once it clicks you'll wonder how you couldn't do it.

hawk2025

Take your time.

You should start playing the game slowly and methodically until you understand how all the mechanics go together. There's no need to rush it and try to always boost for now.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
How to play. With Vita.

During ship :
Right hand. Index finger on R button. Thumb vertically over X and Right Analog Stick.
Left hand. Hovering over touch screen for teleporting.

During platforming :
Right hand. Thumb over X, thumb joint over right analog stick.
Left hand. D-PAD REQUIRED.

Truly the ultimate way to play =P
Seriously though. If you're having issues, trying moving your hands around a bit. There's a good 3 or 4 ways to hold the Vita right. The DS4? That's a bit more iffy.

iosefe

How to play. With Vita.

During ship :
Right hand. Index finger on R button. Thumb vertically over X and Right Analog Stick.
Left hand. Hovering over touch screen for teleporting.

During platforming :
Right hand. Thumb over X, thumb joint over right analog stick.
Left hand. D-PAD REQUIRED.

Truly the ultimate way to play =P
Seriously though. If you're having issues, trying moving your hands around a bit. There's a good 3 or 4 ways to hold the Vita right. The DS4? That's a bit more iffy.

and when platforming telepods come along, right hand claw on triange?

I'm loving this so far, I keep having brain farts with the controls for some reason though. The only thing I'm finding really really frustrating is not being able able to "run" (R1) and shoot at the same time.

This game is amazing - it really clicked with me right away. Just got to level 42 and it stopped me because I don't have enough XP. I feel like I haven't blinked in hours, haha.

Also, nice job for being #1 on a bunch of levels, Wario64!

Astral

I feel like such a fool for saying that September is an awful month for PS+. This game is fucking amazing. I can't help but try to get a gold in every level. It's strict as hell though. I'm only on level 14 but I've been playing for hours because of all the replays.

iosefe

I feel like such a fool for saying that September is an awful month for PS+. This game is fucking amazing. I can't help but try to get a gold in every level. It's strict as hell though. I'm only on level 14 but I've been playing for hours because of all the replays.

strive for the perfect runs

I'm definitely enjoying the game so far, although it definitely doesn't feel as rapturous for me as it is for some folks here so far.

I really like the controls, and the overall gameplay premise. I'm getting into the levels where you switch between flying and running and it's great. The game has a Sonic-ish sense of momentum that I really like.

What I don't like so far: the briefness of the levels coupled with the amount of menus and cutscens between each level. I can blast through a stage in a minute or two; after that, mashing through the menus and story stuff (yes, I know you can skip it, but it's still there as a roadblock) is a bit of a pain, especially considering the story hasn't grabbed me in the slightest so far. This really feels like a game that should have just given a quick text crawl to set the stage and then let you loose on the levels, arcade style.

I'm also not a big fan of the presentation, especially the running animation. I like the character designs on their own, but the visuals/music are a bit bland otherwise.

Will stick with it though, it's a neat little game so far.

Astral

I'm definitely enjoying the game so far, although it definitely doesn't feel as rapturous for me as it is for some folks here so far.

I really like the controls, and the overall gameplay premise. I'm getting into the levels where you switch between flying and running and it's great. The game has a Sonic-ish sense of momentum that I really like.

What I don't like so far: the briefness of the levels coupled with the amount of menus and cutscens between each level. I can blast through a stage in a minute or two; after that, mashing through the menus and story stuff (yes, I know you can skip it, but it's still there as a roadblock) is a bit of a pain, especially considering the story hasn't grabbed me in the slightest so far. This really feels like a game that should have just given a quick text crawl to set the stage and then let you loose on the levels, arcade style.

I'm also not a big fan of the presentation, especially the running animation. I like the character designs on their own, but the visuals/music are a bit bland otherwise.

Will stick with it though, it's a neat little game so far.

Either you're early in the game, not going for perfect runs, or are really good because some levels are almost 5 minutes long.

Croc

Banned
I just beat the game and I have.....1 crystal left......

I tried looking through all of the levels to see if there were any odd numbers for the crystals but everything looked normal so I'm not sure where I'm missing it.

Amazing game by the way. Played the first one a couple of months ago from PS+ and loved it, but this one blows the first away in every single way. I'd love to see a pure Metroidvania made by these folks with the mechanics used in this game.

Kuro

It took me a good 10 minutes to get adjusted playing this on my plasma on PS4. Going from a small screen to a big screen really messed with my head. Eyes had to travel a lot more to focus. Game is fantastic minus the odd stop to shoot mechanic during platforming.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Not very familiar with this series but this game is brilliant. One of the best I've played all year.

Top Bottom