• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venom Movie Revived at Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Venom has been divorced from Spider-man for a very long time now. And Agent Venom seems to be very popular. So I could see it working.

Not everyone grew up with 90's Venom. So a Venom movie doesn't have to cater to them.

Would it really be so bad if we got something like this?
latest

You know you just contradicted yourself.

Only if it is
a) Flash Thompson in the future doing his best Mission Impossible imitation.
b) Eddie Brock on his anti-hero thing.
c) an anthology film with the symbiote acting like a common character, enabling the worst traits in people and driving them mad.

Mr-Joker

Banned
They will fuck it up like how Sony fucked up Spider-Man.

Oh look, they saw Deadpool.

And it will crash and burn because Venom is nothing like Deadpool.

Venom has been divorced from Spider-man for a very long time now. And Agent Venom seems to be very popular. So I could see it working.

Not everyone grew up with 90's Venom. So a Venom movie doesn't have to cater to them.

latest

Venom whole story is tied with Spider-Man right down to his origin and you can't have Flash Venom without Spider-Man as Flash was inspired by Spider-Man to be a hero.

Sephzilla

I'm suspecting an R rating.

Yeah, I totally have this pegged as a "reaction to Deadpool" movie

latest

You mean the Venom symbiote first worn by Spider-Man that's worn by Flash Thompson, Peter Parker's former bully turned buddy?

Yeah, totally divorced from Spider-Man.

Ok, fine, a Venom movie.. why not?

Stand alone? Sure that works.

But they seemingly are taking it a step further and setting in its own continuity, unrelated to the new Spider-Man? What's the point. Well, maybe the Spider-Man is dodging a bullet with that choice.

shingi70

Banned

latest

Even Agent needs Spider-man to work seeing as you need the prior relationships peter had to Flash and the Symboite.

FoneBone

Flash Thompson Venom is awesome; Eddie Brock "Lethal Protector" Antihero Venom not so much. So of course we're going to get the latter.

Dalek

I guess we know the answer to how much say Marvel had with their new deal with Sony.

The only chance we have is if Sony ever sells off their film division.

MartyStu

Maybe I am being optimistic here, but a well-written Agent Venom story can work perfectly.

Sure it would be totally disconnected from Spider-Man, but I think it is workable given a good writer.

Toxi

Banned
It's not gonna be Agent Venom, it's gonna be Eddie Brock Venom because he has the most name recognition.

Permanently A

Agent Venom is separated enough that they could do a decent movie about Remender's run.

Brock Venom? With no Spiderman? The fuck man

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!

I would love an Agent Venom story, but his friendship with Peter (and history of bullying him/worshipping Spiderman) are huge parts of his character.

FoneBone

I would love an Agent Venom story, but his friendship with Peter (and history of bullying him/worshipping Spiderman) are huge parts of his character.

I don't think it's been a major part of the character anytime in the past few years of Agent Venom stories (yes, I might be forgetting something).

Avi Arad AFAIK is contractually guaranteed a producer credit on all Spider-Man movie Sony makes. I doubt he has much of any creative involvement in the movies going forward.

JSevere

I thought Sony was backing off with the spinoffs after they signed with Marvel? Weird of them to return with this if so.

Besides, the symbiote can be used to cool effect in the MCU. Have Spidey find and bond with it at the end of one of his solo films, then have him swing around in a bunch of other characters' films with the black suit, showing how it's affecting him over time, and then deal with the consequences of it in the next solo.

latest

That looks like spawn lite, even more than Todd's original venom.

I'd rather venom be tied to spiderman before they spin it off.

LakeEarth

Venom, something that is being envisioned as a franchise

Sony still haven't learned their lesson from Amazing Spiderman. You start with planning to make a good movie, THEN you worry about making it into a franchise. Not the other way around.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Sony should just go all out.
J. Jonah Jameson film with J.K. Simmons.
It'll get ALL the Oscars.

Does this mean Venom is off the table for the MCU and new Spider-Man? Wouldn't be upset about that, to be honest.

I think it's up to Sony and Marvel to negotiate, it's not as simple as some people on here would have you to believe.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Maybe I am being optimistic here, but a well-written Agent Venom story can work perfectly.

Sure it would be totally disconnected from Spider-Man, but I think it is workable given a good writer.

It really isn't, the symbiote origin is tied to Peter Parker whom rejected the suit when he realised that the symbiote was changing his behavior.

The symbiote then later bonded with Eddie who hated Spider-Man for exposing him fake story and the symbiote was willing to work with him because Peter rejected it and revealed all of Peter's secrets including how to bypass his spider sense.

Eddie also had a warp moral in the sense that he would spare the innocent and punish the guilty and that Spider-Man is the cause of what went wrong in his life.

Flash really can't work without Spider-Man as the man idolized Spider-Man and created a Spider-Man fan club and got his moral point from Spider-Man.

A Venom movie without any Spider-Man element will end up being a Venom movie in name only.

Plus Sony track record shown that they do not get the Spider-Man universe I doubt that they could pull off a good Venom movie, heck they couldn't pull off a good Spider-Man movie.

Rick Remender Agent Venom please, and uh since Marvel sharing control of Spider-man shouldn't that include his characters? I ask because shouldn't that mean Marvel Studios should have a say in this movie.

Sounds horrible. Just give us the faithful, regular old stalker. Eddie Brock venom with a victim complex.

WEP9mvO.jpg

No giant slobbering tentacle monster.
No secret government agent.
No teen venom.
No space knight.
No bounty hunter.

The only comic book movie I'm actually interested In. About time the best character got a movie.

I nearly died when Eric fucking foreman was venom in spiderman 3.

Give it an R rating and please don't fuck it up.

WHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYY

They keep beating the same goddamn dead horse (solo spiderman) with the same goddamn stick (Avi Arad).

Except this time, it's without Spider-Man. And this fucks everyone over, because 1, this most likely means that Marvel won't be able to treat Venom right in the MCU at some later date, and 2, this is almost for sure going to be like a Deadpool movie, but shittier and with 1000% less charm.

This fucking deal with MAHVEL gets shittier and shittier by the second, especially since Sony seem to be the ones withholding Spider-Man from the Captain America: Civil War marketing.

a.wd

Oh look they saw deadpools money, but didn't see any of the articles after saying don't just whip out a sweary violent anti hero, it's not going to work.

Oh look they saw deadpools money, but didn't see any of the articles after saying don't just whip out a sweary violent anti hero, it's not going to work.
I swear this seems like revenge from Tom Rothman (new head of Sony) he stopped the development of Deadpool (also fucked up a lot of other Fox comic books movies) when he was the head of Fox and now that he left and it got made with all of its success he wants to make his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom