• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Venom Movie Revived at Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is right up there with the Gambit movie for "Why?"
Agreed, Carnage is where Marvel jumped the shark with the symbiote.
Nah bruh. Carnage was aight, but the other Venom spawn was really a bit far.
Venom: Space Knight please.
I would greatly approve.
Marvel looking at every bad guy to make a movie out of since DC is about to cash in with suicide squad?
HAH! Marvel has Thunderbolts. They don't need this.
Cool. Venom is probably the best Marvel villain/anti hero, so it's about time he finally get his own movie. :]
tumblr_inline_n5g9n2q8jd1s9tou4.gif

The first step toward the Venom Cinematic Universe.

Thing is they have enough Venom material to get a core trilogy and at least one or two spinoffs.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Sony HQ, february 16th:
- "Did anyone see that Deadpool movie? It's all the rage on the interwebs now."
- "Can't we do something like that?"
- "Well, we have Venom."
- "Great, let's do a Venom-movie, be sure it's R-Rated, breaks the fourth wall and makes fun of Spider-Man 3. That seemed to work!"

There's no way Sony is doing Agent Venom. I can't see it.

What in blazes is the point of a Sinister Six movie without Spider-man?

EDIT: Like, I can't think of a single incarnation of the Sinister Six in any continuity that isn't defined by being opposed to Spider-man in some way.
It can work if Sony goes the Superior Foes route.

Suq8mTd.jpg

But this is Sony so unlikely.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
But why waste villains this way? When they make them unrelated to the Spider-Man movies, they will run out of villains soon, they already dont want to tap into Spideys AAA foes like Green Goblin, Doc Ock because they had them already on screen.

Sony HQ, february 16th:
- "Did anyone see that Deadpool movie? It's all the rage on the interwebs now."
- "Can't we do something like that?"
- "Well, we have Venom."
- "Great, let's do a Venom-movie, be sure it's R-Rated, breaks the fourth wall and makes fun of Spider-Man 3. That seemed to work!"

I swear to god that really happened I've no proof but

I just want a Spiderverse movie,

Spiderman - MCU
Spiderwoman - MCU
Spiderman - Raimi
SpiderGwen - alt-ASM(Emma Stone)
Spiderwoman - Ultimate(Peter Clone)
Spiderman - Miles

maybe get Silk in there

MartyStu

I just want a Spiderverse movie,

Spiderman - MCU
Spiderwoman - MCU
Spiderman - Raimi
SpiderGwen - alt-ASM(Emma Stone)
Spiderwoman - Ultimate(Peter Clone)
Spiderman - Miles

maybe get Silk in there

I think Sony may actually eventually go this way. I would be money that they think they need Venom for this.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Somewhere down the road, I want a Spider-Man multiverse movie, with Maguire, Garfield and Holland facing cross-dimensional Spider-foes....

Fuck it, throw Spider-Ham in there as well.

Let's make it a found-footage deal, where Eddie gets a new camera and the wacky guy just can't stop filming everything that is going on around him.

Since I'm fairly sure that Sony execs read GAF (posters have been referenced quite a few times in their market research docs from the leaks), I hope they see the negative response and scrap it. This just smacks of poor planning and desperation.

Spotlight with superheroes? Count me in.

You might as well adapt Marvels at that point.

Sou Da

Jesus Christ what the fuck is up with Sony and this character? Why do they think he's the holy grail of superhero flicks?

But why waste villains this way? When they make them unrelated to the Spider-Man movies, they will run out of villains soon, they already dont want to tap into Spideys AAA foes like Green Goblin, Doc Ock because they had them already on screen.
I'm sure if Feige wants to add Venom down the road to MCU Spidey then he can just put him in. It's not like Sony cares about the negative aspects of having 3 different versions of the same character in movies in the span of a little more than a decade so this should be no problem for them.

KodaRuss

Not sure why all the hate here? Venom is one of the best frenemys out there and has a big following.

I really only know of the 90s Venom at the moment but I hear Agent Venom is really popular?

Is Sony going to screw it up? Maybe but we dont really know what direction they are going at all yet other than Spiderman wont be in it.

Spider-Man and venom and inextricably linked you cant just have a venom movie on his own that's fucking dumb
Not really. His relationship with Spidey was hamfisted and inconsistent from the beginning, and in fact he was never truly able to stay his villain for long because of that.

Eddie Brock Venom spent most of his time as a crazy Punisher style vigilante anyway. And Flash Venom was more a story of a cripple getting a chance to do good. Spidey is not needed for either of those.

jax

Banned
Eh. It could be good, but they've just produced so many shitty movies..

Anything that brings us closer to the best Marvel villain (Carnage) in the MCU is okay with me.

Anything that brings us closer to the best Marvel villain (Carnage) in the MCU is okay with me.
I would think that this would literally do the opposite and move Carnage as far from the MCU as possible, as this Venom movie is supposed to be entirely separate. If Sony's actually dumb enough to release this film the symbiotes may be kept out of the MCU indefinitely.

*emails Sony telling them they have the rights to Prowler*
Thinking about they actually have a pretty diverse cast of minority and female superheroes to draw from with the Spidey license. Prowler, Silver Sable, Black Cat, Rocket Racer, Firestar (maybe), Nightwatch, Cardiac, Slingers, etc., and of course members of the Spider-Family like Miles and Miguel.

Thinking about they actually have a pretty diverse cast of minority and female superheroes to draw from with the Spidey license. Prowler, Silver Sable, Black Cat, Rocket Racer, Firestar (maybe), Nightwatch, Cardiac, Slingers, etc., and of course members of the Spider-Family like Miles and Miguel.
Cardiac movie incoming

Slayven

How you going to mention Nightwatch before Hybrid?

2430303-hybridrevenge.jpg

Wasn't there some kind of producers guild rule that he gets to be producer of Spider-Man for life and that he was kind of forced to take a backseat for MCU Spidey in a power play?

Sponge

Banned
Honestly I wouldn't mind so much if they just pulled Avi Arad off and had Marvel help them with it. I'm even okay with that animated Spiderman film that's happening.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Michael Bay should do a Vernon spin-off.

Can we get a pool together to help fund Avi Arad's retirement? I'll chip in 20 bucks.

Also Carnage sucks ass.

Honestly I wouldn't mind so much if they just pulled Avi Arad off and had Marvel help them with it. I'm even okay with that animated Spiderman film that's happening.

That animated Spider-Man movie is being helmed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller (LEGO Movie, Jump Street), so I'm definitely more than okay with that. I'm expecting it to be better than the live action movie.

Can we get a pool together to help fund Avi Arad's retirement? I'll chip in 20 bucks.

That animated Spider-Man movie is being helmed by Phil Lord and Chris Miller (LEGO Movie, Jump Street), so I'm definitely more than okay with that. I'm expecting it to be better than the live action movie.
But the animated Spider-Man is produced by your friend Avi too...

Also Carnage sucks ass.
I liked the inverted Carnage from Axis though. Probably the only form of the character that showed any depth to him. A shame he had to revert back.

Patriots7

Sony is desperate as fuck.
How in God's name is utilizing a comic book character in the universe they own "desperate as fuck"?

How does this have anything to do with Deadpool, apart from both characters being anti-heroes?

Sony already has a very likely R-rated comic book movie in development that predates Deadpool's success. Unfortunately, this board doesn't read Valiant comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom