• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] Halo Infinite developer concedes ‘the community is out of patience’

Vindicator

065.gif

sendit

Disagree. The single player co-op update will be worth the wait. It will bring Halo Infinite back in to the spotlight it rightly deserves. Additionally, lets not forget about the lighting update in reference to ray tracing that's in the pipelines. Light shines brighter in the darkness. With spring arriving, 343i will show up with blossoming flowers.

NinjaBoiX

I must be so out of touch with multiplayer stuff these days. I’ve heard so many people complain about Halo’s MP, that they aren’t adding enough, or that the battle pass is bullshit.

None of this shit ever even enters my periphery, I just spin it up and have a couple of games every now and then, it’s a really solid, well balanced game imo.

Is it only fun to the passing observer or something?

//DEVIL//

More like most of these staff are just woke and idiots the company was forced to hire for diversity and don’t know shit .

It shouldn’t take this for updates that were supposed to be in the fucking game that was supposed to be released 2 years ago .

Don’t blame the community for your and your fellow blue and purple haired idiots the knowledge and understanding of AAA development.

Go make a flappy bird or whatever and stop bitching.

MiguelItUp

I think when people have something positive to say about the gameplay, it's the fact that it captured that classic MP Halo feel in a way that worked. It FELT good. It's why it did so well there for a bit. But after a bit, people noticed the flaws, lack of content, etc. and it went belly up even faster.

This is definitely one of the largest fumbles we've seen with a big, known, and beloved IP. It's just sad because you could see where it was doing some things pretty damn well, but it needed a lot more. Could they bounce back? Totally, and they should. But it's really hard to tell if they will...

Calverz

Seems like 343 really fumbled the big momentum they had late last year with this game. It was received very well and had a huge player base that seems to have dwindled to nothing.

I think the truth is that the game just came in way too hot and what they got out in time was the best it was gonna be for awhile. I do wonder if season 2 can regain some of the momentum whenever it launches

You do wonder? Have you even played halo infinite?

II_JumPeR_I

It all started with the first flights just being bot testing. That was a big ass red flag in my book and i knew this MP will flop.

The campaign was cool, big improvement over 5 but it was still very lackluster.
The cutscenes got very lazy and samey with this rotation camera style.
No action in this cutscenes, no big wow moments, anything.

Then some stuff was just shown through holograms or explained in audio logs instead of making interesting and cool campaign Missions that will show you this stuff.

The Infinity attack with Atriox could have been the first mission.

The "open world" did not feel like a big ass ring world. This samey biome got boring pretty fast, alongside the copy paste forerunner bases and missions.

With 4+ years of dev time i expected more, way more.
Just wtf is going on in that Studio?

Last edited:

Akuji

The PC shooter competition is to strong.
On console it probably looks better and they can somehow recover if they smash it

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
None of this shit ever even enters my periphery, I just spin it up and have a couple of games every now and then, it’s a really solid, well balanced game imo.

Is it only fun to the passing observer or something?

The difference between great multiplayer and bad multiplayer is this:

- "Holy ****, that was fun. Where did the last 3 hours go!? What time are you guys going to be on tomorrow?!"

- "Ok, I've played enough. The last 20 minutes was relatively pleasant. Maybe I'll spin this up again in a few days."

Halo is "solid and well balanced", it's just not remotely vital anymore.

Hari Seldon

I still play the game with friends a few hours each week, I have a blast each time. If I played it more than that I would be out of content. But either way I don't give a shit as I paid $0 for this.

The PC shooter competition is to strong.
On console it probably looks better and they can somehow recover if they smash it

Its a ways out of top 10 on most played on xbox and its dropping more everyday

This is kind of why i think the push for both sony and microsoft into service game sector is a mistake. Theres just way too much competition. Theres only so many people in the world that can dedicate hours and hours into multiple service games

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Holy shit down to 27 😭😭😭
I stopped playing after finishing the campaign, but I was shocked to see how quickly it has slipped down the most played charts.

If things aren't sorted by the end of the year it will be completely swallowed up by the next Modern Warfare, if it hasn't already been by Vanguard etc.

Banned
Once they decided that they were ok releasing this as an *official* screenshot... All hope of them having any quality standards went out of the window for me.

Ht2ik6JRkiTsUQq8u99gea.png

graphics whore detected.

this is the least of the game's problems. the presentation can be 360 quality for all I care, but the core game systems are so fucked that the game is barely salvageable

treemk

Banned
graphics whore detected.

this is the least of the game's problems. the presentation can be 360 quality for all I care, but the core game systems are so fucked that the game is barely salvageable

This is an art design problem more than a graphics problem

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This is an art design problem more than a graphics problem
its both. I have the game, it doesnt look as bad as the screenshot - But the fact that they released that screenshot as a way to get people excited is a joke. They have no clue what quality is... And the more I play the game (and see how they are handling the post launch) just proves me right. Shame. I literally bought a Series X for this game

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I remember when Xbox was the system to get for online multiplayer, now Gears is effectively dead and Halo Infinite is dying just a few months after its release. Will be interesting to see what MS does with Call of Duty.

wah ? when did that happen ? 4 to 5 years between sequels is pretty common, and we already know The Coalition is busy adapting Unreal Engine 5 on the Series consoles with a smaller project coming first. What else will they be adapting the tech over for, a new Gears undoubtedly.

Last edited:

Warablo

I thought the gameplay was good, but just didn't hook you to keep coming back for long stretches. Honestly just play Hell Let Loose or Hunt Showdown if I am craving a pvp FPS.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
People will say I'm biased but whatever.

They launched a core gameplay and mechanics that are really good.
But it was unfinished as a game.
Lacking modes, options, maps, basic features, etc etc etc.
Maybe they needed more a year but they were forced to launch in 2021 due already being a delayed game.

Of course they could recover it or in better words finish it with constant update but that is not happening so the fan base is really a bit mad right now.

But hey GAFers or Xbox fans in GAF choose an unfinished game as GOTY so you are part of what is happening now 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

sendit

Scrap 343i. Microsoft now has the dynamic duo of FPS epitome, Infinite Ward and Treyarch. Two development studios who are a master class in FPS design, implementation, and execution. Their portfolio is both diverse and inclusive. Year after year, Call of Duty has remained a household name for gamer's of all ages. The time to act is now, a petition to let Infinite Ward or Treyarch take over Halo.

Last edited:
I'll just paste what I wrote in the community thread -

"Motherfuckers had nearly 7 years (by end of S2). Very poorly managed. Period.

Go full open source Halo and watch what the community builds instead."

How long do they want exactly?

There is literally nothing about mod support ever discussed since announcing it. The hubris of this studio never ceases to amaze me. Franchise deserved better for the last 10 years.

Banned
X1s7YUF.png

Halo Infinite's playerbase compared to Halo MCC... DURING AN IN-GAME EVENT HAPPENING IN INFINITE BTW! :pie_roffles:

Halo Infinite gets red numbers during an event, and MCC gets green ones and gains players... while the last content update was months ago at this point.

btw. Halo MCC is a REALLY good product now. 6 completely free battlepasses you can unlock in any order, new skins not in the original games, a few new maps in Halo 3, a fully functional custom game browser and creator + Halo 2A, Halo 3, Halo Reach and Halo 4 all have a fully equipped forge mode, they even improved the forge modes beyond what was possible in the original games as well!

if anyone wants to play Halo, play MCC...

this is also partly why I hope Infinite just dies already, because then every Halo player will go back to MCC, even the few ones that still have this unrealistically optimistic believe that infinite will get better... give up guys! embrace MCC! throw Infinite on the compost where it belongs, slowly decaying until it is forgotten

Last edited:
Scrap 343i. Microsoft now has the dynamic duo of FPS epitome, Infinite Ward and Treyarch. Two development studios who are a master class in FPS design, implementation, and execution. Their portfolio is both diverse and inclusive. Year after year, Call of Duty has remained a household name for gamer's of all ages. The time to act is now, a petition to let Infinite Ward or Treyarch take over Halo.
When you're trolling but you're accidentally right. Microsoft has the masters of FPS with id Software :messenger_blowing_kiss:

Hari Seldon

Yeah that is probably the right move. I don't want Halo to play like CoD, but I'm sure a CoD studio could make a game that felt like Halo instead of CoD.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's clear that 343 is fucking clueless and that they can't do shit without support from Saber Interactive, among others.

Mr.ODST

Yeah that is probably the right move. I don't want Halo to play like CoD, but I'm sure a CoD studio could make a game that felt like Halo instead of CoD.
As a big halo fan, I agree, either of these studios would make an excellent Halo title than 343i, I was involved in competing in Halo Infinite but most of the pros have even quit the game, no new maps in ages, no real new content, every weekly reward is basically a JPEG and no real fixes to any of the issues.

Its a shame because the core gameplay is great

Lognor

Banned
the core gameplay is not fantastic. there arw so many issues, it's impossible to fix this game.

also winning GOTY has never been less meaningful, which this game clearly shows, this game is pure garbage in many ways, and the campaign is OK at best.

in order for this game to ACTUALLY get good it needs basically completely new MP maps, as in at least 10 new ones that are more varied and less generic as the current ones.

it needs about 20 modes that are currently missing

it needs a fully functional theatre mode, custom games, a custom game browser, a functional file share system, a functional custom game creator, a completely new netcode, a complete change to how social game modes work (aka taking out that stupid random weapon and vehicle spawn shit), COMPLETELY OVERHAULED CONTROLLER AIMING, a massive reduction in aim assist (which it currently still needs due to the terrible aiming on controller), a completely new progression system, a completely revamped customisation system, a toggle to turn off crossplay due to the inability of the devs to fight cheaters, the complete removal of the challenge system...
I can't think of more things from the top of my head but that should be enough.

the thing is, this game is flawed to the core, literally, as in their menu system and game systems are so badly made that they can't change tiny things without it taking months due to how shit their UI systems are.

I lost all hope for Halo at this point, and I bet this game will never be actually a complete Halo experience, it will never reach the levels of Reach in terms of features, variety and polish... there is just no way it will due to how systemically flawed the whole game is

the only way this game is salvageable is if they pulled a Final Fantasy XIV and just rebooted the game and basically remake a huge junk of it from scratch
Nah, not going to read this. You're clearly going through something.

Very few would argue that the core gameplay is not fantastic. Because it is. And you saying goty is meaningless further shows shows your bias.

We get it. You don't like the game. The vast majority agree with me that the core gameplay is fantastic. You can leave now because this is a service game that will span many years. We don't need you complaining nonstop. When you can't even agree that the core gameplay is fantastic, I can't bother with you.

Unlike you the community actually cares and plays this game.
I do both. Not sure what you're on about. You don't even play Halo but you know who speaks for it? gtfo

Banned
Nah, not going to read this. You're clearly going through something.

Very few would argue that the core gameplay is not fantastic. Because it is. And you saying goty is meaningless further shows shows your bias.

you show your bias by not reading my mostly facts based assertion of the game.
it is garbage.

the core gameplay is serviceable at best, and bocked down by some of the worst systems ever seen in a AAA shooter. the netcode alone, which would need to be completely replaced at this point, makes the game trash. you have literally people simultaneously backslapping eachother, meaning the netcode is so bad, it thinks that each player is behind the other and melees them in the back... AT THE SAME TIME...
the desync is so bad, I had a driver yell at me why I'm not shooting people with the Warthog turret, and I had to then exlplain to him that on my screen he is literally driving against a wall with noone on sight. as he exited the Warthog he then got teleported to my location and was confused as fuck.

the aiming on controller is so bad that people hate one of the best guns in the game, the Commando, because it is one of the only guns with barely any aim assist, so people can't aim with it and rather use the pistol or the BR because those basically aim themselves.

the aim assist is a joke in a modern game like that, it was a necessity in games of yesteryear because developers didn't have controller aiming figured out quite yet, so they relied on that to fix it.
Fortnite was also one such game, where there was literally a soft lock-on like in CoD Campaign modes, because their core aiming controls were so dogshit that this was the only way to make it playable. they later completely revamped the aiming controls (which are now really good actually) and removed the soft lock-on.

the maps are devoid of imagination and lack variety in both design and artstyle.

the campaign was without highlights and only had basically 2 styles... grassy woodland and forerunner building... that's it.

the game, clearly designed for coop, launched without coop and coop was further delayed beyond the Season 2 launch, which was the original release target.

forge was delayed as well, possibly releasing during season 3, but I bet it won't.

90% of the classic modes of Halo are missing, and aren't even available in custom games.

the custom game creator is so limited, you can't even reproduce modes made in Halo 2's mode creatore, which was not only more fully featured back in 2004, but also worked! CRAZY! I KNOW!

the game has no player collision and no friendly fire in anything but ranked, which brings a ton of issues with it like nade spam rushing and players wlaking through you, sometimes fuckign up your shots or your nades

I could go on. and most of this is simply stating facts, with a hint of opinion added, but mostly facts

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
you show your bias by not reading my mostly facts based assertion of the game.
it is garbage.

the core gameplay is serviceable at best, and bocked down by some of the worst systems ever seen in a AAA shooter. the netcode alone, which would need to be completely replaced at this point, makes the game trash
"Fact based"
"It is garbage"

See, this is why people can't take you seriously. Your hyperbolic nonsense that you claim as "fact"

There is no issue with the netcode. I've played hundreds of matches. No issues. Maybe it's your internet?

Top Bottom