• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] Xbox president says Apple’s third-party app store fees are ‘a step in the wrong direction’

No wonder, when you got no arguments!

But I give you another chance on this to back up your "just make a competitor" claim:
1. Who should that other competitor be? Got any companies in mind?
2. Who would invest in a competitor to Google and Apple when Microsoft´s Windows phone proved it was a failure and a giant money sink?
3. If your new competitor makes their own OS, why would anyone develop for it?
4. If your new competitor has no apps, why would anyone use it?

If you have convincing answers I take back what I said.
"Give me another chance" come on bro get over yourself
1. Microsoft! I have zero empathy for the richest company in the world a title them and Apple held back and forth for nearly a decade now.

2.3.4. Is the same answer Microsoft. They introduced the windows phone (2010) a few years after the iPhone & android they had plenty of time to build of their ecosystem but they lacked proper vision it's not Apple's fault they appeal to a broader swath of consumer. Microsoft's bet on console gaming I believe is why they are where they are their focus should've been on mobile for the long haul instead of giving up and something Satya Nadella admitted. I just find it to be inexcusable that Microsoft can't try again they have the resources and software they like to shame other companies for not being open how about carrying that message forward by offering something cool in mobile that the consumers can get behind it'll be a stark contrast to Apple and it's a void that Android is currently filling.

ScHlAuChi

1.2.3.4. Is the same answer Microsoft.
Microsoft is done with hardware - they are slowly exiting the games console business too.
They are a software company - their future is the cloud and services.
Without their own phones they wont ever be a competitor to Google or Apple.

It is almost funny how much their console business mimics their phone adventure.
Microsoft tries to enter a new market where 2 big established players exist.
They throw alot of money at the problem, but ultimately fail.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Apple being forced to offer alternative app-stores isn't a bad thing, but ultimately I don't see it as being that big of a deal because, obviously, like any giant greedy corporation they are go as far as they are allowed to keep their storefront on top.

Its never going to be an even playing-field no matter how much "whack-a-mole" is applied to the litigation.

What's worse though is the realization that even if it did, the next new competitor through the newly opened door is just another giant greedy corporation. Likely one with a better argument for why they deserve total control over their portal.

I mean, here's the thing, can you see down the line some competitor demanding MS allows alternative, competing product on their streaming platform(s)?
Which is interesting as it seems to me that there's not a lot of difference between a physical and a digital distribution platform apart from the fact that the latter can be removed from its users at the click of a button...

Three

When a company gets to be the size of Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, Google, etc. then I think a bit of public oversight into their practices are warranted. Ultimately the problem here are the fees imposed on purchases. 30% is far too high. I mean.....look at Apple and their revenue. They have 100% upcharge on their phones and then get 30% of all revenue that phones produces? No wonder they are worth a couple trillion bucks. I might think differently if Apple were a company pushing for open standards of smart phone technology, but at the same time as they have a firm grip on their walled garden, they have created proprietary mechanisms with messaging and file sharing as well. So now.......consumers wanting other options than Apple have to weigh giving up those proprietary features which are heavily entwined with iPhones of friends and family. All that is by design.

Frankly, I don't think we should all be subject to the will of a $2.9 trillion dollar corporation's sheer greed. Either way, Microsoft ain't the ones to champion this cause. They would be doing the same thing if they could.
Well said. The people who should be fighting this are the consumers. The likes of MS and co though don't really care and would do the same, they just want to preinstall their wares (like office & gamepass) on sold iphones with provider agreements with the likes of EE (sarah bonds former place) and BT/O2 etc.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Charging for iOS apps outside the ecosystem store is a bit much. I mean, I’m not an expert at this but these implementations by Apple do not seem to be in the spirit of the ruling regarding their own App Store in the EU.

With that being said, if it holds like this, I would be surprised if MS jumps on that bandwagon at some point.

Shit thing to do.

Last edited:

Fredrik

No no no, you don't understand you see.

They just want to open everything else up to their services, not the other way round.
There are rumours that they’re going third party so they could be planning to open up their platforms too, we just haven’t seen them take any real step yet. If that’s true I’d say it’s very likely in their interest to try bringing down walls everywhere to seem like the good guy in the end. They want Gamepass on mobile phones and consoles and TVs and whatever else. Right now there is no way Apple or Sony would allow Gamepass on their platforms. It’s a trojan horse. Once it’s in they can start doing Gamepass exclusives and then they’re in control even on other platforms. Play COD, Halo, Diablo, DOOM, Gears, Forza, Indy, Starfield, The Elder Scrolls etc everywhere, but only if you pay the subscription fee. That’s what they want.

reinking

Gold Member
Well said. The people who should be fighting this are the consumers. The likes of MS and co though don't really care and would do the same, they just want to preinstall their wares (like office & gamepass) on sold iphones with provider agreements with the likes of EE (sarah bonds former place) and BT/O2 etc.
I agree with you both but....

I don't see the outrage coming from the majority of Apples customers. Apples ecosystem is why they buy Apple products. It seems that most of the noise is coming from the outside trying to force their way into that ecosystem. Am I wrong?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

I don't see the outrage coming from the majority of Apples customers. Apples ecosystem is why they buy Apple products. It seems that most of the noise is coming from the outside trying to force their way into that ecosystem. Am I wrong?
I can't speak for others, but this is at least where I am.

I don't want things to change in Apple's ecosystem that makes it more like Android, as this is what I bought into. I'd have bought an Android otherwise.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I havent followed all this Apple stuff, but can anyone do a recap?

From what I remember or saw:

- Apple foreced to open up app access (sideloading stuff)
- Apple did
- Apple charging 27% with a 3% extra fee so it goes back to 30% anyway

Anything I miss? Or is this the main thing?

Three

You're not wrong. I don't think there is much consumer interest in an app store alternative and most of it is coming from other businesses wanting to lower their own costs. Whether their actual users support this I'm not sure. There may be some expectation that they pass those savings down but it certainly isn't a given either. It's difficult to make them care about this.

The complaints I've seen from Apple users (reasonable ones at least and not those who would excuse anything) seem to stem mostly from other limitations that affect them directly like file sharing, or facetime on other platforms. Things designed to get family members and friends to also buy an Apple device via vendor lockin rather than playing nice with other platforms.

GHG

There are rumours that they’re going third party so they could be planning to open up their platforms too, we just haven’t seen them take any real step yet. If that’s true I’d say it’s very likely in their interest to try bringing down walls everywhere to seem like the good guy in the end. They want Gamepass on mobile phones and consoles and TVs and whatever else. Right now there is no way Apple or Sony would allow Gamepass on their platforms. It’s a trojan horse. Once it’s in they can start doing Gamepass exclusives and then they’re in control even on other platforms. Play COD, Halo, Diablo, DOOM, Gears, Forza, Indy, Starfield, The Elder Scrolls etc everywhere, but only if you pay the subscription fee. That’s what they want.

Emphasis on the "seem".

The only reason they will do any of this is for their interests and their interests alone.

Fredrik

Emphasis on the "seem".

The only reason they will do any of this is for their interests and their interests alone.
Absolutely. It’s that trojan horse scenario. They’re critical of Apple pulling strings to keep their platform closed because they want Gamepass there and once those walls are gone they’ll try to bring down walls on consoles too.

Top Bottom