• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Viewtiful Joe BC (GC) and Scratch! VJ (DS) new pics

Soul4ger

Wow, the DS game looks really good. I can believe that Capcom managed to use the DS so competently, but I can't believe that other companies are so absolutely lazy.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm looking forward to Battle Carnival now, been a while since a decent 4-player party game. And it's gonna be interesting how it plays, definitely going to be a bit different by the looks of it.

Doesn't look like it's a simultaneous release anymore. September 29th for GC, no date yet for PSP.

Can't wait for Scratch, either. Hope it turns out as good as it looks.

DS is finally on a roll with lots of (hopefully) good games coming out soon.

olimario

Banned
After these games release, I want VJ to die. Too many games in too little time.
Work on new franchises like Ookami.

I'll probably pick up Battle Carnival once it hits the inevitable price of 20$ 2 months after launch. :(

I'll also look at picking up Scratch some time around Christmas. It looks to have some of the most impressive graphics yet on the DS.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
olimario said:
After these games release, I want VJ to die. Too many games in too little time.

I wouldn't go that far, just rest it for a bit. Such strong characters and art-style, would be a waste to kill it.

And as an experimental series, it would probably be very suited to Revolution.

ziran

Scratch! Viewtiful Joe website [flash]

released - nov 2nd 05 [japan], nov 8th 05 [NA, renamed Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble]

Press Release:
- Exciting cel-shaded gameplay that is synonymous to the series
- All-new storyline set within the "Movie Studio" theme park
- A diverse set of new enemies to defeat
- Introduction of a new character to the "Joe" family: Meet Joe's little sister, Jasmine, an aspiring actress who gets caught up in the movie action
- Innovative use of the Nintendo DS Dual Screens

During an on-location shoot of Captain Blue's latest movie, a new sinister group literally steals the show and it's up to our not-so-average Joe to reclaim it. Using the Nintendo DS dual screens, gamers help Joe split the screen wide open to solve mind-boggling puzzles and perform his devastating moves in this side-scrolling action title. Plus the "Joe Camera" lets you pull the top screen down to give Joe a helping hand. To help with all this chaos is Joe's quarrelsome little sister, Jasmine, who joins in on the action this time around.
ign e3 impressions and video
ign said:
...the character's VFX special abilities are unlike anything you've ever experienced before. At least in the demo, Joe cannot slow down time like he could in the GameCube design. Instead, he gets a new assortment of special VFX abilities. Players, for example, can literally split the scene on the lower screen, dividing the environment in half horizontally to do specific tasks. So, for example, say there's a fire blocking your way. By splitting the scene and sliding the upper half over, you might be able to break a waterpipe and spray water down onto the fire below...

...you can also switch the frame from the top screen to the bottom. Since one screen shows a closer view of the action on the other, by switching the scene to the bottom touch screen, you'll be able to interact with specific elements. In one instance, to activate a coin operated machine you'll need to switch the scene in order to turn the crank with the touch screen...

really looking forward to this :D

I really, really hope they add slow into VJDS. It's easily my favorite part of the franchise, seeing as how I don't exactly have quick reflexes.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Well I think it shows it in that link, though no one else has chimed in on it.

When Joe's just about jumping in one screen, and it's kind of purpley in the background, he has that effect around him. It's been a while since I've played VJ, but I'm sure you only used to see that when jumping in slow mo.

Wait, VJ: Scratch is actually going to be out this year? Nice! I'm eagerly anticipating Clover's other two projects, VJ: Red Hot Rumble, and Okami as well. They're going to be going out on this generation with quite a bang.

Jado

Banned
I was worried when I'd first heard that Slow and Mach Speed were removed from the game. Good to read that they've brought VFX Slow back in. Mach Speed wasn't as important to the gameplay so I won't mind if its gone, but Slow is just about necessary for the fighting system and light puzzles.

callous

I'm sick of Viewtiful Joe. One game was enough to last at least a couple of years before a sequel, if any at all were to be made.

Vard

The DS screens look great.

I like the V-Joe series, but how many games is that in about two (to three) years? I think it will be 5.

Top Bottom