• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Nintendo Direct upcoming Live on September 1st at 16:00 CEST for 3DS

Super Mario Maker 3DS
Poochie & Yoshi's Woolly World
Mario Sports including STRIKERS RETURNS
Ever Oasis
Pikmin

Tempted to upgrade to New 3DS now.

Sorely disappointed that that's what Pikmin 4 is though - was hoping for a full-scale NX title.

Davey Cakes

Some of the content here looks really solid. It's something, at least. 3DS players need games to play. The ports are understandable when you consider how not every Nintendo gamer has a Wii U. I can see some people being legitimately excited about Mario Maker 3DS and Yoshi's Woolly World, for example.

Obviously some of the games seem like they exist purely to pad out the 3DS lineup to keep it on life support for a bit longer. Similar to Wii U with those bullshit Mario Tennis and Animal Crossing games.

I think the biggest problem about 3DS is that there's just nothing "impressive" about the games anymore. Even new games look like they could've been released in the handheld's first year. It's hard to get excited for more chibi-style games (though Ever Oasis looks pretty decent) and 2D sidescrollers. The limitations of the system are clear and while the content itself might be fun, it doesn't really get people excited.

The prospect of a powerful handheld like NX makes 3DS seem like its treading water.

Other than some time being used on games that looked uninteresting to me in every way (Yo-Kai Watch, that Tank thing, the Mii minigames, Hyrule Warriors AGAIN) this direct was pretty neat. Mario Sports Superstars or whatever and Yoshi were the things I was most interested in, and it was nice to get some spotlight on SMT and Dragon Quest. Also yay Picross!

Overall a fun little direct, imo

With Mario Maker and Yoshi both getting ports to the 3DS, I have a definite hunch a 3DS Splatoon port or new installment is around the corner. All three are (among) the few standout titles for the Wii U that also sold well.

Again, why are we making this assumption.

If it was Pikmin 4, it would've had a name already - PIKMIN 4.

The final name is not finalized because it's a spinoff. Y'all need to chill.

Miyamoto said a year ago that [Pikmin 4] was almost finished. You seriously think there's two almost ready Pikmin games?!

If I was Nintendo I would just localize any of the games that haven't, that seems like a more effective way to pad out the lineup than use resources developing new games

Hell of a character design coincidence for that new tank game:

cpVLQw6.png

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I couldn't Watch it. I was hoping for the announcement of the NX official Reveal Date, just a date, and nothing.

Either nothing about the release date of SMTIVA in Europe? I will import it from USA and play it with Homebrew, with the Region-Free hack.

I didn't expect much, and I'm disappointed. I saw the Dewei gif some pages below, and I'm lazy to copy it here, haha.

I have no idea why does Nintendo fanboys keep hoping for things that they have explicitedly said it wouldn't be talk about.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
What was that weird train rts they showed on the japanese direct?

I prefer prime style but lets not be hyperbolic, there was quite a few titles they clearly didn't expect much out of, and mainline metroid's baseline is at least 100k IIRC.

I'm talking Metroid in general. There is a reason you don't see Nintendo make games for the series anymore, they don't sell.

Some of the content here looks really solid. It's something, at least. 3DS players need games to play. The ports are understandable when you consider how not every Nintendo gamer has a Wii U. I can see some people being legitimately excited about Mario Maker 3DS and Yoshi's Woolly World, for example.

Obviously some of the games seem like they exist purely to pad out the 3DS lineup to keep it on life support for a bit longer. Similar to Wii U with those bullshit Mario Tennis and Animal Crossing games.

I think the biggest problem about 3DS is that there's just nothing "impressive" about the games anymore. Even new games look like they could've been released in the handheld's first year. It's hard to get excited for more chibi-style games (though Ever Oasis looks pretty decent) and 2D sidescrollers. The limitations of the system are clear and while the content itself might be fun, it doesn't really get people excited.

The prospect of a powerful handheld like NX makes 3DS seem like its treading water.

Agreed. But Wii U suffers from the same problem. Nintendo in general is not exciting anymore.

Here's my hope this is because of NX. Lets wait and see what they've got in store for us. NX must be reaaallly good when they completely sacrifice their two gaming platforms since 2-3 years or so.

Nabae

Unconfirmed Member
I think the base games are carried, yes, but without all the content. The other sports seem to be from scratch though. Camelot can do a good job at the sports collection I think. Potential hidden gem of this Direct.
Hmm, I'll keep my eye out for it. Mario Tennis 3DS was weak imo, not sure how the one for the Wii U plays but I can only hope they improve on it. The horse racing also intrigued me.

hatchx

Banned

There are a lot of kids with 3DS, and with the new Pokmeon and Pokemon Go, it's bound to have another shot in the arm of life.

It's kind of nice to know the system isn't going to just fall off a cliff and die this holiday, even if most of the games are ports and AA efforts.

That was another disappointing showing for Nintendo.

I was SO hyped yesterday and this morning only to be severely let down.
It was one of those heart racing / trouble breathing kind of excitements.

I don't even know what I wanted or expected but I'd know if I saw it.
It certainly wasn't this though. The 3DS is dead.

exactly how I feel

wrowa

Kinda disappointed over the lack of new localization announcements. The other new games don't particularly interest me (I already own Mario Maker and Yoshi, Pikmin's first look is about as promosing as the Chibi Robo platformer, Mario Sports looks cool but it's not for me).

On the japanese direct it showed the Animal Crossing direct for 2/11/2016.

Nice to see they announced a new Direct happening in two months while still ignoring the NX's existence.

casiopao

Hmm, I'll keep my eye out for it. Mario Tennis 3DS was weak imo, not sure how the one for the Wii U plays but I can only hope they improve on it. The horse racing also intrigued me.

Mario Golf is really great though.O_O

Japan is getting so much new content though.T_T MH Stories, Puyo Puyo Chronicle, RPG MAKER, and Momotaro Densetsu all looks so good.O_O

Definitely getting as much mileage out of previously released software as they can. Not that it's a bad thing and if that means they have a great NX launch it's even better. Just found it strange with all of the updates, DLC, and ports.

More stuff than I expected though.

casiopao

Whoa no, wouldn't say it's that low at all.

This is the Nintendo that considered Zip Lash a Chibi-Robo game...

Which is why it is called Zip Lash and not new Chibi-Robo.

If this is Pikmin 4 then it should had be mentioned on the title as Pikmin 4.

And whats wrong with the game here? Mass Attack Kirby is damn fine game and it seems this one had the same type too.

Honestly the only thing that halfway excited me was the Poochy amiibo. I expected nothing and was still let down, etc.

The Zelda book is really cool if you like artbooks, though.

NA and Europe really need more localizations to beef up those lineups, because as it is the 3DS is really starting to run on fumes. I was expecting some more of those and it's disappointing to see that didn't pan out.

The poochy amiibo was pretty cute.

Pikmin looks like an interesting experiment at least, though yeah, it is another sidescroller. I'll keep my eyes on it but I'm not fully on board yet. Hopefully there's still a traditional one on the way to make use of that pikmin 3 engine.

Aside from that, there wasn't really anything in this Direct that excited me, which is a shame since even the March one provided that. Too much stuff we've already seen and what we didn't see were just ports and spinoffs.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Which is why it is called Zip Lash and not new Chibi-Robo.

If this is Pikmin 4 then it should had be mentioned on the title as Pikmin 4.

And whats wrong with the game here? Mass Attack Kirby is damn fine game and it seems this one had the same type too.

Hang on, that makes no sense... Chibi-Robo games were never numbered...so that's not why it was called Zip Lash.

Not necessarily, let's wait and see.

To each his own.

daxgame

They typically are at a complete stand still a year before a new console releases. This direct is going to show Pokemon and Dragon Quest what else will there be that's of note this season? They're not going to announce something for the system with the NX supposedly around the corner.

Had bookmarked this post because it was funny, not that it'd take a magician to know that they were announcing new games instead.

ika

-Zelda art book
-Zelda Amiibos
-Poochi Amiibo
-RPG maker 3ds (sadly it won't leave Japan)
-Mario Maker 3ds (if and only if this means new updates for Wii U version because I'm not getting this again for a console I rarely use)

Sad Direct when I'm interested in merchandising and not games :p Well, I want DQ8, SMTIV and Ace Attorney technically but those are hardly new... And sad they announced a new Direct for Animal Crossing in November but not a word on Zelda BotW...

Top Bottom