• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volcanic Lightning Photographed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap130311.html

volcano_reitze_960.jpg

Explanation: Why does a volcanic eruption sometimes create lightning? Pictured above, the Sakurajima volcano in southern Japan was caught erupting in early January. Magma bubbles so hot they glow shoot away as liquid rock bursts through the Earth's surface from below. The above image is particularly notable, however, for the lightning bolts caught near the volcano's summit. Why lightning occurs even in common thunderstorms remains a topic of research, and the cause of volcanic lightning is even less clear. Surely, lightning bolts help quench areas of opposite but separated electric charges. One hypothesis holds that catapulting magma bubbles or volcanic ash are themselves electrically charged, and by their motion create these separated areas. Other volcanic lightning episodes may be facilitated by charge-inducing collisions in volcanic dust. Lightning is usually occurring somewhere on Earth, typically over 40 times each second.

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/03/volcanic-lightning-photographed-by-martin-rietze/

volcano-2.jpg

volcano-5.jpg

volcano-3.jpg

Photographer Martin Rietze recently traveled to Japan where he had the incredible opportunity (or near grave misfortune?) of photographing the Sakurajima Valcano in southern Kyushu as it spewed forth smoke, fire, and lava bombs. If that wasn’t enough the hellish volcano also caused a lightning show that lasted over 20 seconds giving the photographer ample time to flee for his life take these stunning photographs. You can see many more images from the series right here. Of note, the photographer’s grit and fearlessness landed the top photo a feature on NASA’s Astronomy Picture of the Day earlier this week. (via spoon & tamago)

Gallery of all the images here: http://www.mrietze.com/web13/japan13.htm

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Truly awesome and quite beautiful imo. Imagine seeing that in person from a somewhat close distance. :O

Gaspode_T

Wow mother nature totally owns Skyrim graphics!!

Seriously though, people who obsess over graphics need to get outside more...the world will always win...just amazing stuff all over the place, you need to keep your eyes open and take time to look around.

IISANDERII

volcano_reitze_960.jpg

This isn't a photoshoppe? A high speed setting is needed to capture the lightning but then why is the magma rain blurry?

Awesome, the world can be crazy at times. What's those water tower things? Water spouts? It was in the final shot of that apocalyptic New Zealand movie.

injurai

Banned
volcano_reitze_960.jpg

This isn't a photoshoppe? A high speed setting is needed to capture the lightning but then why is the magma rain blurry?

it was an exposure, which is why the lighting was captured. It wasn't high speed.

You can see the blurring around the smoke even.

Arcipello

volcano_reitze_960.jpg

because the lighting struck as the magma was falling....and no a high speed setting is NEVER used to capture lightning, always a long exposure

DrSlek

Nature/our earth is so terrifyingly beautiful.

Terrifying is the right word. I thought it would be a great idea to go check out an errupting volcano on my honeymoon. Sure enough, when we were driving up the slope of Mount Yasur in Vanuatu....with steam seeping through the wet ground all around the dirt road up to the crater....I began to ask myself "Why the fuck did I think this would be a good idea?".

In the distance, it made loud rumbling noises. But when we were out of the cars, and walking up the slope it sounded more like the ocean because of all the gasses escaping. It was fucking terrifying.

I had some good pictures somewhere. No lightning though...I don't think they'd have let us venture up there if there was lightning.

IISANDERII

because the lighting struck as the magma was falling....and no a high speed setting is NEVER used to capture lightning, always a long exposure
OH! Had no idea heh. I guess this is why I'm an amateur.
I thought long exposure on moving object will result in blur but it's different for lightening because it's just for an instant and it's bright?

Dead Man

OH! Had no idea heh. I guess this is why I'm an amateur.
I thought long exposure on moving object will result in blur but it's different for lightening because it's just for an instant and it's bright?

Pretty much. The lightning is fast, but it only exists momentarily so it doesn't blur.

noal

Banned
Wow, what stunning photos. I would love to have a couple of these hanging on my wall.

It truly reminds you how wonderful nature really is.

Dead Man

Awesome photos.

Sadly, I've been ruined enough times by terrible photoshops to find these, initially, quite amusing ;_;
Good enough for NASA, good enough for me :)
Gotta love those exposure photos. To bad in real life they do not look as good.

Yeah, still great images.

Am I the only one to see a giant dude walking out of the ash in the first picture?

Anyway, neat pics.

Where? I want to see it.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
That third picture is INTENSE. Looks like an angry god or something.

You know, that's the kind of shit where the Greeks got ideas like "Zeus and Hephaestus are having family problems right now, best go inside." What else are they gonna think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom