• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voltron: Legendary Defender |OT| Season 3 now up, Season 4 (cough) in Oct

Tom Nook

Finished the Series

Hope they continue the series, I hate cliffhangers.

Surprised Pidge is the female of the group. Thinking during the series, they would kill off Lance and have Allura be the pilot of the blue lion.

Ithil

Finished the Series

Hope they continue the series, I hate cliffhangers.

Surprised Pidge is the female of the group. Thinking during the series, they would kill off Lance and have Allura be the pilot of the blue lion.

Nothing says they can't still do something like that and have
two females on the team.

J-Rzez

Looks like someone finally got a video up of the Voltron transformation with the original '84 music:

https://vimeo.com/171245706

I think the series as good as someone who grew up watching the original. But it is so jarring that they didn't secure the theme for it. This makes the series whole to me. I shouldn't be let down when they form Voltron, but the new theme sucks compared to this. :(

Shaanyboi

Banned
Criticisms about the humor seem wildly off-point. The Avatar/Korra-style humor is probably 80% of the reason new fans are endeared to these characters at all.

doop_

Banned
The humour is fine, I laughed a few times in the first episode. What I really want to know is if this shoe is getting season 2 anytime soon.

It was okay. Not great but not bad either. Music was really the downer for me. Not because no original theme in the show.

What music's there is pretty bland. Second season could have potential.

Dali

Holy shit goosebumps all up and down me

I really, REALLY wish they would have used a version of this song. I really missed it.
It really points out to me how iconic that music was. Watching that clip actually took a lot of the sting off of being cg simply because of the music. They should have kept the formation speech as well.

JLynn

I really want to hate it cause CGI mechs but I can't. This season is better than I expected. I want a toy ASAP. Die-Cast. Not that plastic Mattel crap.

Raxus

Any chance we'll get it before the end of 2016? :O

0. Animation takes months for a single episode. To give you an idea SU takes 9 months for a single episode and that show is 12 minutes long.

Even BoJack Horseman, another Netflix show. Takes roughly a year to animate a season.

Pejo

Finally finished the series last night. Overall I really liked it. The Pidge change didn't bother me at all. I actually liked the chillwave song they played when entering the lions. Definitely need the real Voltron song for the combining though.

I liked the characters, humor, everything. Bring on the next season!

Working on it myself.

Talked a little about it in this topic before the release (starting at page 3). Should check out.

Heh, so when you say 'working on it' does that mean
you're already timing subtitles?

I really want to hate it cause CGI mechs but I can't. This season is better than I expected. I want a toy ASAP. Die-Cast. Not that plastic Mattel crap.

I was pretty surprised at how well it worked, particularly in the later episodes such as
against the second robeast on Balmera, not to mention the attack on Zarkon. Voltron flying through space and those ships were extremely well done I thought.

Finally finished the series last night. Overall I really liked it. The Pidge change didn't bother me at all. I actually liked the chillwave song they played when entering the lions. Definitely need the real Voltron song for the combining though.

I'm pretty much over my initial consternation with that change but I admit I could've done without the wiki war that took place. As for the music the transformation bit and some others ain't bad, it's just not really memorable like with what they had.

I do think they did drop the ball for the pose though. They had a separate final part in episode 2 when we see a charged lightning arc connecting green and red lion after the head was formed and it was a proper place to mimic the original pose of slamming the arms against the chest and have each lion roar.

Hero

0. Animation takes months for a single episode. To give you an idea SU takes 9 months for a single episode and that show is 12 minutes long.

Even BoJack Horseman, another Netflix show. Takes roughly a year to animate a season.

As Wheeljack points out, Rafa works on timing the subtitles which would indicate animation is done.

In theory you could do subtitle timing on nothing more than an audio mix and maybe storyboarded visuals if you need subtitles to line up with scene changes.

I sort of miss and sort of don't miss subtitle timing. I miss the paid work but no one has offered me paid subtitling work in a decade, lol

It really points out to me how iconic that music was. Watching that clip actually took a lot of the sting off of being cg simply because of the music. They should have kept the formation speech as well.

I dunno. I kind of like the fact that they
mentally formed Voltron rather than hitting some buttons
. Although hearing Allura say "intracells locked, dynatherms connected, megathrusters are go" in the castle was a nice throwback

Scirrocco knows what's up!

Rafavert

Any chance we'll get it before the end of 2016? :O

I think it's likely =) not 100% sure as we don't know how many episodes they are, however, we've done 4 episodes already (with another due next week). We've been getting 2-3 per month. There was NO slowdown whatsoever between part 1 and 2.

Heh, so when you say 'working on it' does that mean
you're already timing subtitles?

Indeed I am. The episodes we've been getting are pretty much final.

I think it's likely =) not 100% sure as we don't know how many episodes they are, however, we've done 4 episodes already (with another due next week). We've been getting 2-3 per month. There was NO slowdown whatsoever between part 1 and 2.

So basically since they new they were going to do more they continued without pause.

Indeed I am. The episodes we've been getting are pretty much final.

fuck_yeah.gif

So my guess would be November and now until they end a bi-yearly release.

Idontknow

With this news that it's likely will be getting more episodes in 2016, were this first 13 episodes all of season 1 or is season 1 divided up into two parts with the 2nd half coming later this year? That seemed more like a mid-season finale to me, than a season finale.

KevinCow

Banned
I just finished it today. As someone who has very little familiarity with the franchise, I really liked it! I look definitely look forward to season 2.

Rafavert

eeeeeey man, GAFer is working on this? Awesome man, loved season 1.

And BoJack Season 3

So basically since they new they were going to do more they continued without pause.

fuck_yeah.gif

So my guess would be November and now until they end a bi-yearly release.

They most likely had all episodes (20ish? I think) planned from the get-go but decided to release part of them first, rather than wait for everything to be finished. Seen it happen with other series.

With this news that it's likely will be getting more episodes in 2016, were this first 13 episodes all of season 1 or is season 1 divided up into two parts with the 2nd half coming later this year? That seemed more like a mid-season finale to me, than a season finale.

At least internally the remaining episodes are being labeled as season 1 as well.

Rafavert

Looking forward to that too, can't wait to see it.

How's the job btw? Is it cool to watch episodes before anyone else? Or is it one of those things where it sounds cool in theory but sucks once it's your job.

It's a bit of both =p

Pretty cool to see people going nuts over the trailer of a season/movie you've already watched. People only now found out of BoJack Season 3 and I've watched most of it.

On the other hand, we often end up watching stuff in a rush or later seasons without seeing the first ones, so we don't get to enjoy them much sometimes. And since we have to keep an eye on the subtitling, we often can't pay attention to the beauty of some scenes (or because the video files that reach us have low quality for size's sake)

Finished the first season, really enjoyed it a lot. Shiro and Coran are my favorite characters so far, but I generally like the entire cast.

Hope season 2 is sooner rather than later. That cliffhanger.

Geist-

Finished the first season, really enjoyed it a lot. Shiro and Coran are my favorite characters so far, but I generally like the entire cast.

Hope season 2 is sooner rather than later. That cliffhanger.

Apparently is going to be biannual, which is really cool for shows like this. Still allows for binge releases, while not overwhelming us with 20+ episodes.

Apparently is going to be biannual, which is really cool for shows like this. Still allows for binge releases, while not overwhelming us with 20+ episodes.
I could of done with at least one more episode. I wasn't expecting it to be over so soon.

Great show, but it really sucks they didn't bring back the Voltron transformation theme. That shit was iconic.

Also, calling out as each limb was formed :(

So, did Allura know that (ending spoiler)
Zarkon was the Black Lion's pilot? And why did the Black Lion only briefly switch allegiances in his presence?

So, did Allura know that (ending spoiler)
Zarkon was the Black Lion's pilot? And why did the Black Lion only briefly switch allegiances in his presence?

I would think she did.

And Zarkon did say
that the Black Lion would be returned to it's original Paladin. And he does have the missing bayard. That could be, along with Zarkons's will be the reason why Black froze there.

I would think she did.

And Zarkon did say
that the Black Lion would be returned to it's original Paladin. And he does have the missing bayard. That could be, along with Zarkons's will be the reason why Black froze there.
That's what I meant... It froze up because Zarkon was nearby, but then Shiro had no problem piloting it later in the episode even though Zarkon was still out on the field. Seemed a bit inconsistent.

That's what I meant... It froze up because Zarkon was nearby, but then Shiro had no problem piloting it later in the episode even though Zarkon was still out on the field. Seemed a bit inconsistent.

Actually,
looking that over again Zarkon was being topped off by the druids and Haggar so that likely increased his ability to hold the Black Lion firm and cause Voltron to freeze. When he was fighting Keith he was concentrating on him only and Shiro caught him completely off guard (and yet still with no effect when the smoke cleared). Basically our heroes got lucky.

Top Bottom