• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vulture: DC Rethinks Its Universe

Link.

27-dc-feature.w512.h6o1k9z.jpg

There’s a paradox at DC Entertainment, and it can be summed up by looking at two men who wear Superman’s tights. One of them is Tyler Hoechlin, a dreamy American who portrays the Man of Steel on the small screen as part of the TV show Supergirl. The other is Henry Cavill, a statuesque Brit who plays him in DC’s big-screen outings like Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and this fall’s mega-tentpole Justice League. Hoechlin’s Superman has a sterling image among the public: He’s not a series regular, but when he does show up, fans go gaga for him, much as they salivate over the well-reviewed show, in general. Cavill’s Supes, on the other hand, has an image-control problem: All of his movies so far have been met with at least a certain amount of critical disdain, if not outright derision. In short, one Superman is flying high; the other is experiencing turbulence.

It’s DC Entertainment in microcosm: When it comes to movies, there’s chronic bad buzz; elsewhere, things are going swimmingly. Once known as DC Comics, a 2009 restructuring made the Warner Bros.–owned company more than just a comics publisher — they now also work in coalition with the rest of Warner to produce superhero content in TV, games, consumer products, and films. Their comics are in a sales renaissance, thanks to a recent initiative called Rebirth. DC TV shows like Gotham, Arrow, and The Flash enjoy meaty ratings and fan loyalty. DC video games like the Injustice and Batman: Arkham franchises are considered some of the best the medium has to offer. Hell, even a partnership with Warner’s consumer-products division is bearing fruit: the DC Super Hero Girls toy line has turned into a miniature empire complete with animated web cartoons and a New York Times–best-selling book.

So what accounts for the contrasting reputations? Perhaps part of the problem is that the movies, until recently, had very little influence from the core DC Entertainment team, who had done so well elsewhere. “It took some work for us to earn our stripes, I think, with the rest of the studio and filmmakers,” says the company’s boyish chief creative officer, Geoff Johns, sitting at a long table alongside a clutch of DC executives in a San Diego Marriott on the first day of this July’s San Diego Comic-Con. But in the past 16 months, they’ve gained significantly more influence on the movie operation, and that change is already bearing fruit. “It’s not chaos,” DC Entertainment president Diane Nelson assures me, seated near Johns. “It’s intentional.”

They’re in the midst of a fight to convince the public that’s the case. For years, they struggled at the multiplex while their blood rival, Marvel, soared. Starting in 2008, Marvel pioneered a Hollywood-buzz concept known as the cinematic universe: a narrative enterprise in which a bunch of individual films are said to exist in the same world, with characters crossing over and lots of buildup to megamovies where the whole gang gets together. Disney-owned Marvel has captured billions of eyes and dollars by running that operation with an iron fist: Its movies are all tightly linked and its brand image is held in a vise grip.

Seeing the success of that model, Warner launched its own shared filmic cosmology with 2013’s Man of Steel, which did well at the box office but received criticism for its depiction of a brooding Superman who murders someone at the end of the story. Then came 2016’s grim, gritty, and costly Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, which drew a harsh critical response and, with a global gross of $873 million, fell far short of Marvel’s $1.153 billion-earner that year, Captain America: Civil War. Just a few months later, Suicide Squad earned $745 million — a hefty chunk of change — but was savaged by critics, leaving it with a 25 percent critical aggregate on Rotten Tomatoes. Those speed bumps would be bad enough, but the fact that these DC movies were all part of one interlinked super-story made the situation all the more problematic: How can you have a successful universe if its individual galaxies aren’t doing so hot?

None of that seems to worry Nelson, and that’s partly because DC and Warner have adopted a new strategy: Let’s rethink that whole universe thing. They’re not giving up on the idea of continuity, but they want to deemphasize the idea that all of these flicks are occupying the same space. “Our intention, certainly, moving forward is using the continuity to help make sure nothing is diverging in a way that doesn’t make sense, but there’s no insistence upon an overall story line or interconnectivity in that universe,” says Nelson, drawing nods from the top brass around her.

This new approach already has a test case, and, by any measure, it was a successful one: Wonder Woman outearned every other movie this summer while scoring a 92 percent on Rotten Tomatoes — higher than nearly every Marvel movie. And one of the keys, as Nelson and her execs saw it, was the fact that it more or less told the viewer to ignore the rest of the universe and just focus on what was in front of them. There was a tiny nod to Batman v Superman, but that was it. “The movie’s not about another movie,” says Johns. “Some of the movies do connect the characters together, like Justice League. But, like with Aquaman” — one of their next efforts, out in 2018 — “our goal is not to connect Aquaman to every movie.” As Nelson puts it, “Moving forward, you’ll see the DC movie universe being a universe, but one that comes from the heart of the filmmaker who’s creating them.”

One of the centerpieces of this new, decentralized strategy is an as-yet-unnamed side label of occasional movies that are completely separate from everything else, set entirely outside the cinematic universe. Total stand-alones based on good ideas from big-name filmmakers. Movies that are just movies, not components of a larger piece of clockwork. The first one they’re talking about is a solo outing about supervillain the Joker, set to be directed and co-written by The Hangover and War Dogs alumnus Todd Phillips. Johns says they’ll be announcing the name of of this side label “soon-ish.”

That all may be welcome news for critics who felt that previous DC outings were too tied up in world-building, but it won’t single-handedly clobber the pessimistic chatter Warner’s superheroes face. While DC Entertainment has experienced tremendous success in TV, comics, and games, when it comes to film, they still have a huge issue with public perception. But they think they’re turning a corner. The approach Warner and DC are now implementing at the cineplex is not one they came to easily, nor is it one they hammered out solely as a reaction to movie backlash. It arrived after nearly a decade of growth, missteps, and careful corporate maneuvering.

Much more at the link.

Viewt

Stupid sexy Superman.

I know it's not the point of the article (which I largely agree with - that getting more comics people into the movie division is their best approach going forward), but I think it's a little unfair to compare the two Supermen. One is anchoring a corner of the film universe, while the other is an admittedly very-good recurring guest star on a TV show. I'm sure Cavil would impress in a similar way if he was in Hoechlin's boots.

Supergirl is well reviewed? Has it gotten good? Because the few episodes I saw were total shit.

Also yea, DC better learn the right lessons from Wonder Woman and right the ship. Its baffling how good Wonder Woman was and how disastrous their Batman and Superman efforts have been so far.

Cutebrute

I am a straight male who has been complimented by other straight males for my butt, but I think this man may have my ass beat.

If the Supergirl show faces budget cuts and needs a cheaper Superman in the future, the execs need to call me. I may be able to fit the suit just right...

What a thread derail...

Litan

Stupid sexy Superman.

I know it's not the point of the article (which I largely agree with - that getting more comics people into the movie division is their best approach going forward), but I think it's a little unfair to compare the two Supermen. One is anchoring a corner of the film universe, while the other is an admittedly very-good recurring guest star on a TV show. I'm sure Cavil would impress in a similar way if he was in Hoechlin's boots.
Im sure Cavill would impress if his Superman wasnt written the way he was.
It's good to see they have people down there that recognize what some of the problems are *cough* Unlike some of the fanbase *cough*.

Im unsure about how JL will turn out, but Aquaman should be good. Waiting to see who they have working on movies that'll come out in 2019 and beyond.

This... annoys me somehow... he's going straight down, through the building, but ends up surfing towards the camera after hitting the bottom floor...

I just hate how absurdly cartoonish that the DC movies look like in general. One scene will look relatively realistic, and the next will be some crazy fake looking shit. I get that its a comic book source but if you want to push the envelope this much than they should do an animated movie.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Stupid sexy Superman.

Cavill is an extremely charismatic actor in almost everything else he's ever done. The shortcomings of his Superman is entire due to the material he has to work with and Snyder's twisted view of what a superhero is. A Superman with even half the verve of Cavill's Man From UNCLE performance would be phenomenally well received, IMO.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
This... annoys me somehow... he's going straight down, through the building, but ends up surfing towards the camera after hitting the bottom floor...

I mean somebody ableto survive that fall could probably redirect their momentum into another direction perpendicular to their direction of travel.

Ross61

I just hate how absurdly cartoonish that the DC movies look like in general. One scene will look relatively realistic, and the next will be some crazy fake looking shit. I get that its a comic book source but if you want to push the envelope this much than they should do an animated movie.
What?

Undrey

This separate movie thing is a great idea and just what I wanted from one of the universes. While yes Marvel movies probably hold up well on their own, if I jumped into Spiderman: Homecoming as my first Marvel movie I don't think I'd get it as much as say, one of Raimi's Spider-Man movies, same goes for BvS and any of Nolan's trilogy. They all have a story they want to tell that is over and done with by the movie ends, for the most part. You don't have to have this huge backlog commitment and watch 20 other movies to get the whole picture.

Sephzilla

I wish DC would lighten up on their restrictions on movie characters appearing in TV shows. Part of the reason Arrow went to shit in seasons 3 and 4 was because suddenly a chunk of the supporting cast and subplot was inaccessible due to Suicide Squad. I'm shocked they actually got Superman to appear on camera in Supergirl

Paganmoon

I mean somebody ableto survive that fall could probably redirect their momentum into another direction perpendicular to their direction of travel.

That's not really how it works though, specially with how it's animated in that shot, looks like he's just straight coming through the building.

That and the fence he hops over is apparently two feet tall

Yeah, you're right... there are more things working together to make that shot look pretty bad.

Ross61

I wish DC would lighten up on their restrictions on movie characters appearing in TV shows. Part of the reason Arrow went to shit in seasons 3 and 4 was because suddenly a chunk of the supporting cast and subplot was inaccessible due to Suicide Squad. I'm shocked they actually got Superman to appear on camera in Supergirl
Arrow went to shit because the writing was shit

Keym

Season 5 used an obscure/original character and it was all the better for it.

LordRaptor

I mean... isn't this literally what everyone has been saying about every "cinematic universe" attempt since it became a buzzword?
The trick is you try and make good movies - ideally in multiple genres to appeal to multiple audiences - so when they do come together its a big deal and multiple audiences will show up to watch it?

If you just left the MCU films when the credits began you wouldn't even know that there was supposed to be any links to any other film you may or may not have seen that year

Top Bottom