• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vulture: DC Rethinks Its Universe

Loxley

CokS2BFVIAAs_Xh-600x1065.jpg

Yep. And Superman from Supergirl has the best ass.

Hoechlin's ass is the only thing powerful enough to distract me from how fucking ugly those red shoulder pads are. They ruin an otherwise decent costume.

Lunar15

I feel like when they were working on planning out the DCU, Snyder was known for finally completing a Watchmen movie and The Dark Knight was a hot property at Warner Bros. Combine the two and that's basically what the DCU became.

I mean... isn't this literally what everyone has been saying about every "cinematic universe" attempt since it became a buzzword?
The trick is you try and make good movies - ideally in multiple genres to appeal to multiple audiences - so when they do come together its a big deal and multiple audiences will show up to watch it?

If you just left the MCU films when the credits began you wouldn't even know that there was supposed to be any links to any other film you may or may not have seen that year

Marvel makes it work because their films are also watchable without actually needing to watch previous films, and they don't make continuity the main focus. The big problem with everyone else's attempts is that they focus too much on the shared universe aspect. An entire scene in BvS was basically a series of trailers for future films, nevermind Batman's dream sequences which were basically just the film screaming "Darkseid exists and he's totally gonna show up in another film".

DC's other problem is that they're rushing the leadup to Justice League. Avengers was basically a victory lap for the success of the individual films up to that point, Marvel bloody well earned their team-up movie. We won't even have individual films for half the damn JLA before it comes out, nevermind only one of the movies that did come out were any good.

I wouldn't be surprised if DC just uses an adaptation of Flashpoint to reset the status quo and only keep the bits that've worked thus far. Wonder Woman was great, but Man of Steel and BvS are terrible foundations to build on. Zack Snyder needs to be booted from the DCEU project entirely, his vision just doesn't work for these characters.

Supergirl is well reviewed? Has it gotten good? Because the few episodes I saw were total shit.

Also yea, DC better learn the right lessons from Wonder Woman and right the ship. Its baffling how good Wonder Woman was and how disastrous their Batman and Superman efforts have been so far.

Supergirl (the show) is pretty awful but Superman is great in it, aside from one time he jobbed to Supergirl.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I feel like the upcoming DC films should be pretty damn good barring JL which let's be honest, I don't think anyone knows what to expect from it. Aquaman with Wan and Batman with Reeves have little chance of not being good. Plus WW2 down the road is a shoe in for quality and Flashpoint with rumors of Zemekis should be awesome.

Slayven

Nah. Movie was good and the concept is solid.

Justice League will be Cry for Justice. Aquaman will be the Detective Comics #27 to Wonder Woman's Action Comics #1.

The movie was good because they paired it down to it's original premise. A flash story.

Jesus, a cry for justice? You are just dead inside.... I would never wish that evil on anybody.

I still don't think they have the right direction down, but I do appreciate that they're not trying to be the "anti-Marvel" anymore. I'd prefer if some of these spinoffs weren't so Batman related, but as long as they make a good Aquaman film, I'd be pretty please.

CokS2BFVIAAs_Xh-600x1065.jpg

Yep. And Superman from Supergirl has the best ass.

That's a real Superman.

I wish DC would lighten up on their restrictions on movie characters appearing in TV shows. Part of the reason Arrow went to shit in seasons 3 and 4 was because suddenly a chunk of the supporting cast and subplot was inaccessible due to Suicide Squad. I'm shocked they actually got Superman to appear on camera in Supergirl

WB thinks audiences are stupid, so it's unlikely to change. It's a dumb restriction. I have no issue with several versions of the same characters appearing in different media, come on.

I think Superman was exception, just because he's so famous.

border

Their comics are in a sales renaissance, thanks to a recent initiative called Rebirth. DC TV shows like Gotham, Arrow, and The Flash enjoy meaty ratings and fan loyalty.

Are the ratings of DC television shows really that "meaty"?

I thought the CW shows were basically coasting off a network and an audience with exceedingly low standards. I'm not really sure if that's the place they should be looking to for creative inspiration.

Rvaan

Banned
Are the ratings of DC television shows really that "meaty"?

I thought the CW shows were basically coasting off a network and an audience with exceedingly low standards. I'm not really sure if that's the place they should be looking to for creative inspiration.

2 of the shows are good to great. The other 2 are not of the same quality.

Staf

Haven't watched Supergirl unfortunately (can't seem to find it anywhere in Sweden) but from what little i've seen of Superman in that show he looks miles ahead of the DCEU one.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Cavill is an extremely charismatic actor in almost everything else he's ever done. The shortcomings of his Superman is entire due to the material he has to work with and Snyder's twisted view of what a superhero is. A Superman with even half the verve of Cavill's Man From UNCLE performance would be phenomenally well received, IMO.

I’ve always found him to be a pretty charismatic and funny guy in interviews to, it’s a real shame they don’t use any of it for the actual character, I would place the blame solely on the writing of Superman.

I’m hoping they are going to do some sort of soft reboot on his character for Justice League after the events of BvS. I remember Cavil saying in an interview before the reviews came out that MoS/BvS Superman hadn't actually become the Superman that he’s supposed and were leading up to, and I hope he wasn’t full of it.

Top Bottom