• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vulture: DC Rethinks Its Universe

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
a3cjYyh.gif

dey fix dat fence yet
axe_laugh.gif

I am sure I'm late to this, but did they give Aquaman the Atom's powers to make him more interesting to the public? That's a tiny dude getting bigger near a fence that may or may not be normal human sized, not somebody coming any closer to the camera.

Lokimaru

Cavill Supes has a character arc. TV Guy is just there. I find it odd People judging a guy that's been on the Job for two years vs a Ten year+ veteran Superhero. Look at how Supergirl was when she started out she had a ton of support (Emotional and Literal). Movie Supes had no one but Lois and Martha for that. take a look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BnWnanXbq0

This basically sums up movie Superman.

Compbros

"You see, now, if the bullets don't work, right...why the punching? Never understood that."

I felt more of Superman in that line of dialogue than the two movies. The T.V. version is just corny enough to be believable and it's fantastic but he also shows Supes' flaws like him being extremely hard headed. I think what the movies get wrong is that they create flaws for Superman instead of exploring the ones already there.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm glad at the direction this thread went in. The only thing better than that ass is CYBORG SUPERMAN.

Are the ratings of DC television shows really that "meaty"?

I thought the CW shows were basically coasting off a network and an audience with exceedingly low standards. I'm not really sure if that's the place they should be looking to for creative inspiration.

Flash has strong ratings and the rest are respectable for CW. Lower budget means lower expectations. Flash beats some shows on networks that shouldn't be losing to it. And everything is dropping regardless.

Success in the TV realm is a bit more than ratings now. Those shows make bank off streaming, intl syndication, merchandising, etc in a way that many others don't.

Compbros

Cavill Supes has a character arc. TV Guy is just there. I find it odd People judging a guy that's been on the Job for two years vs a Ten year+ veteran Superhero. Look at how Supergirl was when she started out she had a ton of support (Emotional and Literal). Movie Supes had no one but Lois and Martha for that. take a look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BnWnanXbq0

This basically sums up movie Superman.

What's his character arc? The thing us that Superman's support is from his friends and colleagues as Clark and his parents as Superman. By the time he's ready to be Superman he already has those Midwestern values in him but in MoS he's still questioning himself and his place. Superman is just a farmer from Kansas with powers. His parents instilled in him the difference between right and wrong and it stuck with him.

Here's a scene from Smallville:

*Lex gives Clark a new truck after saving his life*

Jonathon: I know how badly you want it son but you can't keep it.

Clark: Why not? I saved the guy's life.

Jonathon: So you think you deserve a prize?

It's stuff like that that Clark is raised on, not the absolutely confusing mess his dad in MoS was trying to teach him.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I just want to throw my hat in with the people in here praising Supergirl's Superman. The character is perfectly cast and written...the actor does a lovely job with him.

Still don't understand the logic behind Supergirl being able to kick his ass though, despite Superman having way less of her life on Earth soaking up the sun's rays in comparison to Clark. Don't have a problem with it so much as I don't really understand it.

Top Bottom