• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wachowskis direct their first TV spot: Matrix themed for GE (feat. Weaving / Smith)

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE, they didn't actually direct it: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=53862861&postcount=56

#########################

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=loinY8MmVq8

http://www.fastcocreate.com/1682780/the-wachowskis-bring-the-matrix-back-for-ge

Andy and Lana Wachowski, the sibling team behind the Matrix trilogy and Cloud Atlas, just directed their first television commercial. The 30-second spot, for General Electric's Brilliant Machines campaign, will air on Saturday Night Live on April 13 and features Matrix star Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith.

In the commercial, created by BBDO New York, Agent Smith walks through a fictional hospital and merges with various software GE runs inside the facility. As Smith sees how the software uses data to connect patients with doctors, nurses and hospital equipment, the Matrix villain explains the basics of the advertiser’s industrial internet services (watch for the kicker at the end which employs the film’s famous, color-coded device).

“We launched Brilliant Machines to bring the concept of the industrial internet to a large audience,” GE’s Linda Boff told Co.Create. The Wachowski Matrix commercial is connected to a web site, also featuring Agent Smith, called “How Software Sees It.” On the site, Agent Smith walks the audience through a digital hospital recreation and shows how GE’s data and hardware improves patient care. As Boff put it, the challenge for GE was to “tell a story of productivity with machines.”

According to General Electric, this is the first time the Wachowskis have directed a commercial or licensed out Matrix characters or plot points for advertising. “Part of the reason they agreed was because of the previous installments in the campaign—they loved the use of science fiction,” Boff said.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
pretty good
KuGsj.gif
the last scene was great.

Oppo

geez

well-directed but the whole concept is... not good. i mean directly alluding to machines enslaving us, while they provide "better care"... just... fuckin' weird.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, am I the only one that finds this really creepy? Like seriously, who commissioned and approved a message that says repeatedly "machines are becoming more powerful and ubiquitous" featuring the villain from a popular movie series in which the machines become so powerful they enslave us.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
geez

well-directed but the whole concept is... not good. i mean directly alluding to machines enslaving us, while they provide "better care"... just... fuckin' weird.

At this point in human history, I'd much rather put my trust and body health into a group of robots than a bunch of humans.

The machines just know us better, death to humans.

The last part was great haha.

But fuck this, just give us The Second Renaissance film adaptation already. That was surprisingly much better than The Matrix trilogy.

Lol I liked it. Should have been a superbowl spot or something though.

I now want to rewatch the Matrix films.. I haven't seen them since the third movie.

I don't know why people are bothered about using Smith because the machines enslaved us or whatever when Darth Vader is a homicidal, child murdering totalitarian dictator and he's been used in similar fashion for 30 years.

They even had a kid dress up as him in a car commercial a couple of years ago.

Nobody cares about the context of the character, they just like seeing the character.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Yeah. Didn't they personally finance it? I don't begrudge them cashing in.

They put in $1 million. That's it.

They're already in production on a new blockbuster for Warner Bros and Netflix bought their TV show. The Wachowskis are still going strong, haters be damned.

Testing the waters for a Matrix prequel trilogy. Gotta do something to keep their careers going after their last two movies.

It's called Jupiter Ascending.

Haha loved it. Weaving still rocks the role.

Why not make a remake of 2-3 now that you are at it?

Because they love 2 & 3.

After Cloud Atlas I guess they need some money?

Yes. They put up the mortgages of their houses to fund Cloud Atlas and they've hinted their next movie (Jupiter Ascending) will play it much safer (M2-3, SR and CA were experimental on some level).

This is because Wachowskis are one hit wonders. Everything after the first Matrix is a turd.

This means you haven't watched the movie they made before the first Matrix.

I don't know why people are bothered about using Smith because the machines enslaved us or whatever when Darth Vader is a homicidal, child murdering totalitarian dictator and he's been used in similar fashion for 30 years.

They even had a kid dress up as him in a car commercial a couple of years ago.

Nobody cares about the context of the character, they just like seeing the character.

Yeah, this.

They put in $1 million. That's it.

They're already in production on a new blockbuster for Warner Bros and Netflix bought their TV show. The Wachowskis are still going strong, haters be damned.

No. http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-wachowskis-explain-how-cloud-atlas-unplugs-peo,87900/

AVC: What percentage of the budget did you end up having to put up yourself?

LW: Well, we waived all our fees—

AW: It’s complicated, because we have our companies that have put money into it, and then we also had to put money in personally.

LW: All over, we’re probably well over 10 percent of the budget.

AW: Close to 7 million bucks or something like that.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Interesting. Wikipedia is wrong then, despite using that interview as the source o_O

The interview also says they have $5 million invested in that Cobalt Neural 9 project.

Anyway, I don't think they're super hard up for money, but they put a lot of it back into their work, one way or another. I feel like I had heard Cloud Atlas came out on top for the financiers at least, based on sales to distributors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom