• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wachowskis direct their first TV spot: Matrix themed for GE (feat. Weaving / Smith)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also why are people saying The Matrix was their only good flick V for Vendetta was fantastic.

They didn't direct it so for many people apparently it doesn't count they wrote, produced and did second unit directing work on it.

It definitely has Wachowski DNA in it, it's crazy not to consider it one of their films.

Ocaso

I have some bad news

526623_10151601343542318_1396351088_n.jpg

Also why are people saying The Matrix was their only good flick V for Vendetta was fantastic.

What's the bad news? His affinity for stuffed pandas or Jackie Chan? Looks like he could still pull off Neo quite well.

Madness

I don't know why people are bothered about using Smith because the machines enslaved us or whatever when Darth Vader is a homicidal, child murdering totalitarian dictator and he's been used in similar fashion for 30 years.

They even had a kid dress up as him in a car commercial a couple of years ago.

Nobody cares about the context of the character, they just like seeing the character.

It'd be like Darth Vader appearing in a campaign ad for a presidential candidate. How would it look then? To have a dictator who wanted to rule the galaxy by force, to promote a candidate to rule a country.

You've got a commercial here, featuring a villain who wants to wipe out humanity and keep them hooked to machines as an energy source. And he's praising that machines are becoming more efficient, replacing the need for humans and waiting rooms etc.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
This part:

this is the first time the Wachowskis have directed a commercial or licensed out Matrix characters or plot points for advertising

Isn't correct. There was a commercial for...either Gatorade or Powerade or All-Sport or something, one of those sports drinks, that featured an Agent and was tied in with The Matrix. Back in ~2001 or so.

Sephzilla

I gotta be honest, Matrix 2 and 3 weren't the best things in the world, but I'd still be first in line at a theater to see another Matrix movie.

Obviously the Matrix sequels weren't as good as the first movie, but I still liked them enough to re-watch them. Reloaded and Revolutions weren't anywhere close to Star Wars prequel horrible

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I saw this on TV a couple of days ago.

It was amusing.

Just seemed weird to have Agent Smith talking about how machines are making our life better.

It'd be like Darth Vader appearing in a campaign ad for a presidential candidate. How would it look then? To have a dictator who wanted to rule the galaxy by force, to promote a candidate to rule a country.

You've got a commercial here, featuring a villain who wants to wipe out humanity and keep them hooked to machines as an energy source. And he's praising that machines are becoming more efficient, replacing the need for humans and waiting rooms etc.

Technically, that's not what Smith wanted. In the first movie he wanted to become "free" of hunting people in The Matrix, and in the sequels he wanted to destroy everything (machines included). :p

This part:

Isn't correct. There was a commercial for...either Gatorade or Powerade or All-Sport or something, one of those sports drinks, that featured an Agent and was tied in with The Matrix. Back in ~2001 or so.

2003 and Powerade you mean. They were a set of commercials actually and they were directed by the later to become V for Vendetta director.

http://www.thesmile.tv/directors/james-mcteigue/#!prettyPhoto

(check the Samsung one).

black_13

Banned
Part of me said sell out but I remembered how good Weaving is as Agent Smith.

I want another Matrix movie but a much better one than Revolutions. A mix of a Reloaded and the first movie would be damn awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom