• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wales to become first UK nation to drop 30mph speed limit to 20mph

thefool

I'm super supportive of very low speed limits in cities (and enforcing it!) but I'm not sure if 20 mph isn't too low.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Meanwhile, in California

MJMQ3dS.gif

YCoCg

How long before this stupid shit is revoked then?
Mark in 2018: I'll only do five years and then I'll step down

Mark in 2023: I'm stepping down

Labour Wales: THIS IS A COMPLETE SHOCK!

Then again I guess a politician sticking to their word is a shock these days.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Every city in EU should have a max speed of 20km/h. Then the road should be used for all cars, bikes, scooters. Bike lanes should be converted to green spots, parking or bigger sidewalks. Everyone would benefit. Its madness that cars are the only one's using the vast infrastructure just because they want to go 50km/h.

Last edited:
Every city in EU should have a max speed of 20km/h. Then the road should be used for all cars, bikes, scooters. Bike lanes should be converted to green spots, parking or bigger sidewalks. Everyone would benefit. Its madness that cars are the only one's using the vast infrastructure just because they want to go 50km/h.
Considering car drivers are the ones who've paid for this infrastructure, then yes cars should be aloud to go faster then pedestrians. Bicyclists are just moving targets to bounce into light posts.

FUBARx89

So, you want, a limit of 12mph? Sure pal.

Go down an absolute storm that would.

In this 12mph world, do cyclists get done for going over the speed limit? Do cyclists get forced to have an licence plate so they can get fucked aswell? Since most cyclists can do more than 12mph.

Or is this just someone lost from r/fuckcars on neogaf?

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Youre Kidding Are You Serious GIF by Snowfall

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Considering car drivers are the ones who've paid for this infrastructure, then yes cars should be aloud to go faster then pedestrians. Bicyclists are just moving targets to bounce into light posts.
That's just not true, like at all.

If you live in a tightly packed society you have to make a sacrifice. You can still go fast as fuck on the Autobahn or outside cities, inside cities it should be free 4 all on the road.

Would also eliminate deadly accident rates to nearly 0%, EU's "Vision Zero" is only achievable with measures like these.

So, you want, a limit of 12mph? Sure pal.

Go down an absolute storm that would.

In this 12mph world, do cyclists get done for going over the speed limit? Do cyclists get forced to have an licence plate so they can get fucked aswell? Since most cyclists can do more than 12mph.

Or is this just someone lost from r/fuckcars on neogaf?

Well its either a solution like this, or the complete ban of cars in inner cities. I would hate that. There is just not enough room in a lot of "old" cities in EU to implement roads for cars, side walks, parking and bike lanes. Someone will have to give.

Last edited:

demigod

I find it strange that yall find it strange. It’s been like this for decades in USA. How cramped is the UK? Are all your roads residential or something?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I live in the burbs and support cars 100%. There's hardly any cyclists no matter how many bike lanes they add to roads. And slowing down more and more I dont see helping.

However, when it comes to areas with tons of people like downtown areas where it's gridlock with cars, taxis, delivery vans and bike couriers all trying to share the road, it makes sense to have more bike lanes to alleviate traffic and slower speed limits because you dont want people gunning it in crowded streets where there's tons of jaywalkers and bike couriers zipping around and UPS vans parked half on the street and half on the sidewalk.

For car haters, dont forget that a portion of accidents with pedestrians will be from pedestrians jaywalking or doing dumb shit too running across traffic because they are too impatient to wait at a street light. There's only so many car hits due to speedy drivers hopping a curb or illegally turning into walker right of way.

Having super slow cars in dense areas might even be detrimental. Who knows. Lets face it. When there's cars driving fast, only a small number of walkers or bikers will risk weaving. When cars are gridlock, what happens? Shit loads of walkers all move as a giant mass because they know the cars are stuck or inching at 2 mph, so it's easier to get to the other side. Weve all done it. There's no fear when the cars drive super slow knowing they can effectively brake in time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom