• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: New Executive Orders Floating Around Would Further Restrict Immigration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
Seems like the intention is to keep away immigrants that would be a burden on the country. I can already see this getting strong Republican support.
Nor have studies shown immigrants to be a greater drain on federal benefits relative to their American counterparts, he said: “When you compare poor immigrants to poor natives, poor immigrants are less likely to use welfare, and when they do, the dollar value of the benefits they use is lower.”

That’s partly because under existing federal law, new permanent residents, or green-card holders, are unable to qualify for welfare and other public benefits during their first five years of residency. Immigrants who entered the United States illegally also are unable to obtain federal welfare benefits.

guek

Banned
What are WaPo's sources on these?

After the rumored LGBTQ EO, it's possible all of these "drafts" are deliberate leaks meant to further incense the mainstream media and discredit them when they don't come to pass

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sometimes I wonder if the ultimate goal is for them to deport anybody who receives government help.

PBY

Banned

After the rumored LGBTQ EO, it's possible all of these "drafts" are deliberate leaks meant to further incense the mainstream media and discredit them when they don't come to pass

Yeah, after that last report gonna hold off til more concrete reporting is done.

i keep thinking the same thing

leak some bullshit let the press eat it up and further discredit them

LGBT people who were scared for a second when reported that trumps going to issue that executive order all the sudden see those who reported it as misreporting it.

This will seriously cripple the construction and agricultural industries in the south and west. All those 50 year old white guys cheering Trump on aren't going to get jobs laying sheetrock in 95 degree heat.
That the hilarious and sad part about this. Which jobs to people think these immigrants are taking that blue collar Trump voters are going to want? Are they all going to move from the northern parts of the country to the south west to take those jobs? This is insanity.

I feel like a lot of these Trump folks are just mad that these people are here making better lives for themselves while they're unhappy about where they are in life.

RK128

Okay, we're entering the "time for a revolution" zone.

I do wonder if Civil War is going to happen sooner then we all think. I was originally thinking the early signs of it would start around May-Juneish. But now? I could see it happening as soon as next month at this point.

He is doing so much harm and damage to not just the US but the world around him, that people won't deal with his shit even if the government becomes powerless to stand up against Trump.

It's horrible that I'm even thinking about a Civil War happening but with how horrible the future looks, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Scum

MouWorried.png

Toxi

Banned
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Replicant

Is it normal for a President to issue this much EO? Surely he's outrun his quota by now? I think he confuses Presidency with running a Kingdom.

The mainstream reporters never picked up on the lgbt order. It's possible this is a plant, but the cyber security order leaked in full last night and we have had leaks for all the other stuff. Also we aren't even sure if a religious freedom EO isn't coming. You trust the white house that claims there is no ban

Also they literally have the complete details on this one not just some vague order is coming like the lgbt one.

4Hv5RWr.jpg

”We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

kevin1025

Banned

I don't believe the White House when they say it's not coming. No one should believe them anymore.

MIMIC

Banned
Absolutely revolting. It's almost like he's trying to squeeze every penny he can to save it for that damn wall.

Derwind

Okay so are they saying they'll deport naturalized citizens on government assistance now? Please tell me that's not what is implied.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
What's the limit to the reach of EOs? At some point the president needs to loop in Congress right?

Isn't this why we have checks and balances?

I'm pretty sure that so far the only rumored EO that was denied was the LGBTQ one and that may have been a deliberately fake EO to ferret out the leaker.

That doesn't mean this one isn't fake too but it does line up directly with his campaign rhetoric.

Okay so are they saying they'll deport naturalized citizens on government assistance now? Please tell me that's not what is implied.

No they want to deport undocumented people on assistance which doesnt make sense as they arent allowed to be on assistance only their kids are, so that would mean ripping families apart

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
These words are meaningless now.

I mean this sounds like California's Prop 187 mixed with Center for Immigration Studies's wishlist.

Lots of this stuff isn't gonna stand up in court (like many of these EO's)

I can't see why the Senate and GOP's are really gonna let them get in the same place that Wilson got the Cali GOP.

The implication is on guest workers and non-renewal of visas for non-permanent residents I believe.

I can't imagine they'll come up with a good enough way to get around due-process that will determine "public cost"

Kinsei

Banned
So if this comes to pass the US will basically completely shut their borders and deport legal immigrants?

WHAT THE FUCK?

i keep thinking the same thing

leak some bullshit let the press eat it up and further discredit them

LGBT people who were scared for a second when reported that trumps going to issue that executive order all the sudden see those who reported it as misreporting it.

That was always reported as a rumor, though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I refuse to believe this.

This:

as well as to deport — when possible — immigrants already living in the United States who depend on taxpayer help

is straight United Fascist States of America.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
All this invasive nonsense (including the demanding access to devices and accounts) is also going to dissuade travelers from visiting the US. I was considering a business trip to the US soon, but teleconference seems like the smarter option. No way am I stepping foot inside the US unless absolutely necessary. The US tourism industry will surely suffer, as will any other businesses relying on sales to foreign visitors.
I have vacation plans to the US, but I'm really not warming up to the idea of entering the US when it's becoming such a shitshow.

I mean, it's only been two weeks and people are already getting arrested, deported, and so on. By the time I go, there's no telling if they'll arrest me randomly or throw me into some black site just for having the wrong skin color. I wish I could say I'm being facetious but at this point I don't know anymore.

pr0cs

My girlfriend is applying for her H-1B Visa in April. If she's not allowed to work here because of these orders, then I'm going to lose my shit and move to another country with her.
Get ready for a surprise

http://www.gdnonline.com/Details/167347/H-1B-visa-reform-bill-introduced-in-US,-minimum-pay-doubled-to-$130,000

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Considering there are a lot of reports of people refusing to follow through with court orders, who's to say that anyone would enforce a Trump impeachment?

rjinaz

The mainstream reporters never picked up on the lgbt order. It's possible this is a plant, but the cyber security order leaked in full last night and we have had leaks for all the other stuff. Also we aren't even sure if a religious freedom EO isn't coming. You trust the white house that claims there is no ban

Also they literally have the complete details on this one not just some vague order is coming like the lgbt one.

Yup. I mean, it was a gaf thread. Didn't see it anywhere else really. I still think it's coming at some point, because I know it's what those sleazeballs want.

I refuse to believe this.

This:

is straight United Fascist States of America.

I'm worried about authoritarianism but lots of Western Democracies do this and they're not fascist (just anti-immigrant) see Europe's confiscation of refugee's wealth, etc.

We can oppose these things because they're immoral and go against the constitution

guek

Banned

I hear you, and the existence of a draft should be incredibly concerning but it's not yet signed. I'm just wary of jumping the gun after yesterday.

I don't believe the White House when they say it's not coming. No one should believe them anymore.

To be clear, I agree with this too

Breads

Banned
So legal citizens can be made illegal even though they work under the same social contract as everyone else.

That's fucked.

gcubed

I mean this sounds like California's Prop 187 mixed with Center for Immigration Studies's wishlist.

Lots of this stuff isn't gonna stand up in court (like many of these EO's)

I can't see why the Senate and GOP's are really gonna let them get in the same place that Wilson got the Cali GOP.

The implication is on guest workers and non-renewal of visas for non-permanent residents I believe.

I can't imagine they'll come up with a good enough way to get around due-process that will determine "public cost"

Farmers are going to love this!

Duxxy3

Get ready for a surprise

http://www.gdnonline.com/Details/167347/H-1B-visa-reform-bill-introduced-in-US,-minimum-pay-doubled-to-$130,000

I've worked at companies that replace entire divisions with H-1B workers, so I'm fine with this bill. There is a use for the H-1B visa, but companies have abused the shit out of it.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Uhm yeah I mean the Nazi Germany comparisons are not that far off anymore when legal immigrants get "deported" into "deportation centers" because they are a "burden" on the "real America".

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm worried about authoritarianism but lots of Western Democracies do this and they're not fascist (just anti-immigrant) see Europe's confiscation of refugee's wealth, etc.

We can oppose these things because they're immoral and go against the constitution

Who in Europe deports immigrants? You're confusing immigrants with asylum seekers.

This is not even talking about illegal immigrants. It talks about immigrants in general who might need some social benefits at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom