• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: New Executive Orders Floating Around Would Further Restrict Immigration

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk2025

You say "liberal elites" and "coastal cities" don't understand Middle America?

Let's see just how well Middle America understands "coastal cities" once the economy falls apart due to a brain drain.

You need us.

zethren

Banned

Let's see just how well Middle America understands "coastal cities" once the economy falls apart due to a brain drain.

You need us.

Or once their jobs are obsolete and automated. Everyone likes to talk about how the coasts and liberals are in a bubble.

But fuck that, conservatives and middle America are in their own bubble as well.

You need us.

Unfortunately I think they'll just be happy they're dragging everyone else down to their level.

sphagnum

Banned

You need us.

The adoption of feudalism in the flyover states would be pretty interesting to see, I have to admit.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So, we are going to report on "foreign born workers" regardless of their immigration or citizenship status?

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

On top of everything else, we are going to start treating US citizens as tier 2 citizens in a government sponsored report. Does Lyin' Ted get lumped in here?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
If anyone thought this was about anything other than just racism, let's just quote Bannon himself on Asian CEOs in Silicon Valley:

“When two-thirds or three-quarters of the CEOs in Silicon Valley are from South Asia or from Asia, I think...” Bannon said. “A country is more than an economy. We’re a civic society.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/steve-bannon-disgusted-asian-ceos-silicon-valley_us_582c5d19e4b0e39c1fa71e48

Yeah these orders aren't created to protect the American worker, these orders are created to get rid of non-whites.

Shoeless

If anyone thought this was about anything other than just racism, let's just quote Bannon himself on Asian CEOs in Silicon Valley:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/steve-bannon-disgusted-asian-ceos-silicon-valley_us_582c5d19e4b0e39c1fa71e48

Yeah these orders aren't created to protect the American worker, these orders are created to get rid of non-whites.

From a purely patriotic point of view, as a Canadian, maybe they'd consider moving their corporate headquarters up here. We still don't have a problem with immigrants in positions of leadership and authority. If Microsoft wants to move up here, I wouldn't say "No."

B.O.O.M

From a purely patriotic point of view, as a Canadian, maybe they'd consider moving their corporate headquarters up here. We still don't have a problem with immigrants in positions of leadership and authority. If Microsoft wants to move up here, I wouldn't say "No."

You guys got good faculty jobs at Unis? lol Might need to look into it soon

Shoeless

You guys got good faculty jobs at Unis? lol Might need to look into it soon

Depends on the school, obviously, but I would say they're decent. An old friend of mine just got tenure not too long ago at Waterloo University in their math department.

Guy who pays no taxes blames immigrants for eating up federal resources.

And illegal immigrants do pay their taxes, the IRS gives them ITIN numbers and turns the head the other side since it's still money coming in. And they do pay their taxes since they don't want to get in trouble.

B.O.O.M

Depends on the school, obviously, but I would say they're decent. An old friend of mine just got tenure not too long ago at Waterloo University in their math department.

I'm in the job market next year and so are quite a few of my colleagues. So will need to look at these options. It's funny, as I mentioned, the job market was actually on the UP in the US because many more faculty jobs were getting opened with baby boomers retiring and Unis expanding.

Shoeless

I'm in the job market next year and so are quite a few of my colleagues. So will need to look at these options. It's funny, as I mentioned, the job market was actually on the UP in the US because many more faculty jobs were getting opened with baby boomers retiring and Unis expanding.

Well, if there actually is a restriction on immigration into the US and you're not "on the list," for the good of your own country, you should probably take that local job. If the US is going to prevent promising students/professors from contributing to the tertiary system, that's going to cause a self-imposed brain drain where those students and instructors will go to other countries like Canada or Singapore. Without locals to make up the lack, America is about to toss its STEM leadership on the plane along with the other immigrants.

Mega

Banned
When Trump was campaigning and saying all his crazy shit, I'd always roll my eyes when he'd get a big applause and say to myself "These people are so gullible. He's just pandering to them. They'll just be outraged when he gets elected and doesn't end up doing any of this shit."

Took a week to prove me wrong.

You're not alone in this sentiment. A lot of people voted for him because "LOL Hillary is worse, Donald won't do half the stuff he says." Everyone got fooled. Watch Kimmel, SNL, the TV pundits throughout the November-December months. The opening skit of the SNL rerun this weekend was Baldwin's Trump scrapping all his campaign promises. In a week's time that joke has become outdated, shortsighted and a very dark opposite reality.

I have to wonder if being mocked for "empty campaign promises" on late night TV post-election is what's causing all these executive orders. He's the type of person who would let this stuff get under skin and react to it.

So, we are going to report on "foreign born workers" regardless of their immigration or citizenship status?

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

On top of everything else, we are going to start treating US citizens as tier 2 citizens in a government sponsored report. Does Lyin' Ted get lumped in here?

Birthright citizenship is coming.

This is a sad day

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
any legitimacy to this or just banter to get worked up about?

Linkura

This is so disgusting I can't even. But I'm not surprised.

My mother in law has a green card and has been in the country for 45-50 years. I told my husband to tell her that she needs to either get US citizenship or go back to her home country because I am worried about what this administration is going to do. She didn't get it at all. My husband told her they were taking people's visas and green cards this weekend and she said stuff like, "Oh I've made a copy of my green card" without realizing that that wouldn't mean shit. She's not taking it seriously at all and it pisses me off. This order scares me because she is elderly and I'm sure she would be considered a "drain" on the economy for taking out benefits she's earned working here for over 40 years.

Well I just did the research and my mother in law can't have dual citizenship due to her country's laws. So she might get deported if they think her drawing social security that she earned over 40+ years makes her a "public charge." Oh and she's totally taking an American's jerb because she has a job.

I'm a foreign-born worker with three degrees who claims no benefits. If y'all are going to make it worse to live in this crumbling wreck of a country, I will eventually peace out.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Can we send all the white citizens on welfare away too?

I mean, statistically speaking, most mass shootings are by white men...so...by this logic, we ought to report all the real terrorists living in America.

(Obviously /s. So fucked up.)

Infuriating, isn't it? Logic that they refuse to apply to other groups of people because they're bigoted and racist. I hate this. :/

Lo-Volt

It's actually incredible how many people could be indirectly impacted by the "public charge" interpretation, depending on how wide it actually is. How many years back do they want to go? Is DC going to target elderly residents relying on Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, or disability payments? It might be more "interesting" to see who doesn't have a family member who could be denigrated because of this disgusting-ass EO.

It's actually incredible how many people could be indirectly impacted by the "public charge" interpretation, depending on how wide it actually is. How many years back do they want to go? Is DC going to target elderly residents relying on Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, or disability payments? It might be more "interesting" to see who doesn't have a family member who could be denigrated because of this disgusting-ass EO.
I guarantee you they haven't given two seconds' thought to any of the ramifications.

Gutek

I have vacation plans to the US, but I'm really not warming up to the idea of entering the US when it's becoming such a shitshow.

I mean, it's only been two weeks and people are already getting arrested, deported, and so on. By the time I go, there's no telling if they'll arrest me randomly or throw me into some black site just for having the wrong skin color. I wish I could say I'm being facetious but at this point I don't know anymore.

Don't come.

I'm a foreign-born worker with three degrees who claims no benefits. If y'all are going to make it worse to live in this crumbling wreck of a country, I will eventually peace out.

Same. Actually I'm getting out. Just need to wait for my visa to go through.

rjinaz

who is leaking these things tho?

Probably a Democrat on their last leg, or maybe a Republican with a conscience in the office, if there is one that hasn't sold out yet. I mean, if it were you, wouldn't you? Though they are brave souls because Trump would likely charge them with treason if caught.

lazygecko

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Suddenly authorities are overwhelmed with mass reports on Melania Trump.

Nydius

How far back we gonna go

My ancestors have only been here since the late 1600s

Same here. I'll gladly self-deport back to Wales so long as they make sure I get the proper clearance to go. Though given the political climate in the UK, not sure it would be much better.

Wait, who am I kidding?
The shitshow that is Brexit is tame compared to TrumPence/Bannon.

ezrarh

Americans are over 10,000X more likely to die from a car accident than a Muslim terrorist. Shall we ban cars too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom