• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000 Boltgun releases May 23rd 2023

SJRB

Gold Member
No Game Pass?

It's a good game so no.

leo-meme-face-mask-1834.jpg

Fuz

Banned
Tried the first 4 levels at my friend's place.

I'm sad to say that I find it quite boring.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Played the first few levels. It's cool, first Warhammer game Im enjoying but it freezes on Xbox sometimes.

Just played an hour of it, loving it so far. Super smooth and the impact of the guns feel great. Playing on hard has been no challenge thus far though, might put it on max difficulty.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Warhammer 40,000 video games are on a roll. It used to be that Warhammer 40,000 video games were hit and miss but now it looks like we're getting a lot of quality titles.

Havoc2049

Just played an hour of it, loving it so far. Super smooth and the impact of the guns feel great. Playing on hard has been no challenge thus far though, might put it on max difficulty.
Hard gets hard after a while. 😜 I started out on Normal and switched over to hard.

Once the maps open up and the Chaos Space Marine Champions and Terminators, along with a ton of other baddies, start to show in open arena style purge segments, the game becomes quite challenging.

Hard gets hard after a while. 😜 I started out on Normal and switched over to hard.

Once the maps open up and the Chaos Space Marine Champions and Terminators, along with a ton of other baddies, start to show in open arena style purge segments, the game becomes quite challenging.
Just finished chapter 1 and yeah there were a few arenas that did end up giving me a good challenge.
Game is great, love the speed and momentum. Targeting with the chainsaw attack in mid-air and charging through enemies feels so good.

Only thing that is really annoying is that you have to hold L3 to run (PS5).
I will look into the other controller presets.

Roberts

Played the first few levels. It's cool, first Warhammer game Im enjoying but it freezes on Xbox sometimes.
It did for me as well in the first few levels. I'm on level 7 or 8 now and it hasn't done that for a while.

Anyway, pretty damn great game. Probably my favourite out of all the recent retro shooters. Prodeus does some really inspired stuff but I always had a patience to only do two-three levels per day.

It's definatley there somewhere, I'm at work atm but I'll check when i get home
Just got home and looked. It's in the gameplay options, toggled it on. So the character will always run now? What I wanted though is press L3 to run and when I want to walk I just stop for a sec, like in other games. Still better than holding, also pretty sure it wasn't there when I booted the game up on release.

Mephisto40

Just got home and looked. It's in the gameplay options, toggled it on. So the character will always run now? What I wanted though is press L3 to run and when I want to walk I just stop for a sec, like in other games. Still better than holding, also pretty sure it wasn't there when I booted the game up on release.
I wish it had the option too but it doesn't seem to be available, just the push to run, or the toggle on and off with L3

The only annoying thing with the toggle is if you leave it on it means your controller vibrates every time you take a step

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Just beat it on hard. Had a lot of fun with it. Even more hyped for Space Marine 2 now.
Think I might start playing Dawn of War next actually. Boltgun kinda renewed my interest in the Warhammer 40k series.
Been meaning to get into it for awhile.
Good news. If you don't have Dawn of War yet, they just released it on GOG DRM free.

Just beat it on hard. Had a lot of fun with it. Even more hyped for Space Marine 2 now.
Think I might start playing Dawn of War next actually. Boltgun kinda renewed my interest in the Warhammer 40k series.
Been meaning to get into it for awhile.
Dawn of War Co-op playthrough?

Darkmakaimura

Sweet. I'll be grabbing that later.

Dawn of War is easily in the top five RTS games ever made, especially the Dark Crusade expansion.
Yeah the GOG release is all the expansions included. It's the Master Collection. It was released over a week ago and it was on sale for $9.95 but now it looks like it's closer to $40.

VN1X

Banned
Sweet. I'll be grabbing that later.

Dawn of War is easily in the top five RTS games ever made, especially the Dark Crusade expansion.
Err, it's less than a fiver here:

30 plus Euro for a collection of games that old is a crime lol.

Last edited:

Griffon

This game has so much items laying on the ground everywhere it's kinda silly and distracting.

It started strong, but the gameplay gets a little tiresome about midway in. The complete lack of feedback when you take damage can fuck you up. And the arena battles with spawning waves are kinda mediocre. It kills the pace and is a bit aggravating to have respawns over and over (Doom 2016 did those a LOT better, there's no comparison, in Boltgun it doesnt really work because the AI is very basic). I think they should've stuck with Doom 1 style level design instead.

Overall the game is fun for a while, the weapons are all great fun to use, but Im not sure I'll have the patience to finish it.

Last edited:
Dawn of War Co-op playthrough?
Oh I didn't know it had co-op lol. I'll probably play it solo first so I can take my time with the story and lore, etc.
Good news. If you don't have Dawn of War yet, they just released it on GOG DRM free.

Damn, looks like I missed a good price for that, plus being DRM free. I just picked up Dawn of War 1 & 2 together for under $10 on Steam the other day. Looks like I should get the expansions too?

VN1X

Banned
This game has so much items laying on the ground everywhere it's kinda silly and distracting.

It started strong, but the gameplay gets a little tiresome about midway in. The complete lack of feedback when you take damage can fuck you up. And the arena battles with spawning waves are kinda mediocre. It kills the pace and is a bit aggravating to have respawns over and over (Doom 2016 did those a LOT better, there's no comparison, in Boltgun it doesnt really work because the AI is very basic). I think they should've stuck with Doom 1 style level design instead.

Overall the game is fun for a while, the weapons are all great fun to use, but Im not sure I'll have the patience to finish it.
What happens when you die? Does it pull a Prodeus and completely trivialize the hardest difficulty by not resetting the world state and instead merely respawn you or does it actually provide a challenge and function like a normal boomer shooter should, in that regard? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I was a Prodeus backer myself so was extremely excited for it but ultimately came away disappointed because of that aspect.

Last edited:
What happens when you die? Does it pull a Prodeus and completely trivialize the hardest difficulty by not resetting the world state and instead merely respawn you or does it actually provide a challenge and function like a normal boomer shooter should, in that regard? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I was a Prodeus backer myself so was extremely excited for it but ultimately came away disappointed because of that aspect.
No it resets the enemies but there are auto-save checkpoints and you can save scum. Generally it autosaves at the very start of bigger encounters.
If you fall off a ledge or something during a fight, it respawns you close and takes like 20 health points.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Anyone else experiencing minor freezes on the Series X? It's like the game struggles to load the next portion of the level or something, because it always resumes after a bit. But it is annoying, especially if that happens when you're attacking someone.

By the way more games should have a taunt button with some awesome one-liners. :)

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Lads, i'm thinking of getting this since it's on sale ATM on PSN but i read that the game had some pretty horrible joypad controls (acceleration/deadzones etc) - have they fixed it ?

Thanks

Top Bottom