• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine |OT| No mercy. No retreat. No remorse.

DeathIsTheEnd said:
If you failed you could have what would probably be the most awesome cinematic ever, of the planet turning into a daemon world.
That would be awesome. It would also be awesome to use chaos against itself but the more you use it the more you get corrupted until you are pure chaos and are being actively chased by other inquisitors.

DUFFMCWALIN said:
That would be awesome. It would also be awesome to use chaos against itself but the more you use it the more you get corrupted until you are pure chaos and are being actively chased by other inquisitors.
Well if the 40k MMO has PvP...

RyanDG

DeathIsTheEnd said:
Well if the 40k MMO has PvP...

I don't think there is going to be an 'if' about that. A Warhammer 40k game without PVP would be the single biggest mistake in video game history.

derFeef

7QO8V.gif

Poor Ork.

RyanDG

derFeef said:
7QO8V.gif

Poor Ork.

You know, it may just be because I'm not an ork, but if a space marine was trying to rip my jaw off, I think I would be trying to fight back more than just clinching my fist. Even if I was dazed and confused. ;)

derFeef

RyanDG said:
You know, it may just be because I'm not an ork, but if a space marine was trying to rip my jaw off, I think I would be trying to fight back more than just clinching my fist. Even if I was dazed and confused. ;)
Pha, he is already defeated and has a power-axe in his foot. Time to give up.

Tokubetsu said:
What trailer is this from?
"Only War" Series - were also new to me. I added the series start to the OT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y0m6aWDpPA&hd=1

Boogdud

Vilix said:
From what I've read the Imperium of Mankind is sorta like Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union during Stalin's rein. Corrupt, repressive, paranoid, and an arrested culture.

BURN THE HERETIC!!!

I've always been fond of the Orks and their disposition. FIGHT. If I remember correctly, isn't there like no limitation on how big they can get as long as they live long enough? Only problem is, nobody lives that long, because all they want to do is fight. If there's no one around to fight, they fight each other. I mean, that's good stuff.

Also, I've always kind of felt for the tyranids. I mean, they really aren't "evil" or anything, they just need to murdalize everyone to live. If all of a sudden air started fighting us, what would we do? We'd BREATHE THE HELL OUT OF IT! Just like them.

Boogdud

spandexmonkey said:
Until Horus shows up at least. (referencing the blood angels pic)

That's pretty cool art, never seen that one before. Though looking at it brings to mind the caption:

"Is Sanguinius gonna have to choke a slaanesh bitch out?"

JoeBoy101

DUFFMCWALIN said:

Also remember, such an RPG can be party based. Many inquisitors travel with retinues, one of the more famous one's being Eisenhorn's. Everything from bound daemon vessels to nulls (imagine beings which can effectively blank or block psykers).

JoeBoy101 said:
Well, technically, its not the Emperor devouring it, but the technology keeping him alive. Or more to the point, the Astronomican burning psykers out.

the astronomicon, the "beacon" as it were, is the emperor himself. And to keep that beacon burning he drains the psykers to keep himself alive.

steadfast

JoeBoy101 said:
Also remember, such an RPG can be party based. Many inquisitors travel with retinues, one of the more famous one's being Eisenhorn's. Everything from bound daemon vessels to nulls (imagine beings which can effectively blank or block psykers).

I would spend cold, hard cash on Mass Effect: Inquisitor on day 1.

steadfast said:
I would spend cold, hard cash on Mass Effect: Inquisitor on day 1.

They could just hook up a line to my bank account with that.

In addition, after playing Valkyria Chronicles I would love to have a 40k game done the same way. Similar mechanics with a terrain builder, army editor and online multiplayer. Microtransactions for unique units like noise marines.

Twinduct

Anyone want to do a dump of WH40K Wallpapers (Zip dump)?.
I'm in dire need of WH40k wallpapers!

(I blame all the teasing from Dennis)

VaLiancY said:
Why do Orks speak in an English accent? Just cause? I'm not complaining, I'm just curious. :lol

That's how it's always been. I would say it probably originates from the fact that Games Workshop is UK based.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Tallshortman said:
That's how it's always been. I would say it probably originates from the fact that Games Workshop is UK based.
Don't they all have non-American accents? I think the Orks are just the most obvious.

Castor Krieg said:
SMs do not have the power to issue Exterminatus order, only Inquisition can do that. As a general rule the Inquisition doesn't give a fuck about Space Marines, they are only concerned about the taint of Chaos/Xenos/etc. Even then it's rare to issue an order, one Inquisitor (forgot his name) was branded a heretic and outcast after issuing exterminatus for a dozen of planets to stop the Tyranid advance.
That's kinda lame that they have the power to just blow up planets from space. Shouldn't have written that into the lore because it'll always be in the back of your mind that why don't they just blow up the planet. The Orcs should be a huge threat and not prey they're playing with like in Predator movies with us humans being the prey. Maybe it's explained more...anyone care to elaborate?

Heavy said:
That's kinda lame that they have the power to just blow up planets from space. Shouldn't have written that into the lore because it'll always be in the back of your mind that why don't they just blow up the planet.

Well, these are simple reasons - destroyed planets do not pay Imperial tax, do not send millions of people to join the Imperial Guard, do not supply Psykers to maintain the Golden Throne. That's why Exterminatus is always the last resort option.

Enosh

daedalius said:
As long as the tithe is flowing from the planet, they don't really care what is happening on that planet. Oh, and don't question the Imperial Creed either.

There are pleasure worlds that are paradise, but only the wealthiest of the Imperium can live/visit those. Most citizens are crushing downtrodden supporting the endless war effort.
eh, I wouldn't say most
most worlds are worlds like ours (civilized worlds) just with some more fancy tech, more or less peacefull and out of the way of everything

Castor Krieg said:
SMs do not have the power to issue Exterminatus order, only Inquisition can do that. As a general rule the Inquisition doesn't give a fuck about Space Marines, they are only concerned about the taint of Chaos/Xenos/etc. Even then it's rare to issue an order, one Inquisitor (forgot his name) was branded a heretic and outcast after issuing exterminatus for a dozen of planets to stop the Tyranid advance.
His name was Kryptman.

He also, with a group of Deathwatch, captured a Lictor to create a poison they used to kill a Norn-Queen. After the Carta Extremis was issued with the Deathwatch again, he captured a group of genestealers and sent them to the Ork empire of Octavius. This managed to more or less attract half of Hive Fleet Leviathan, who are still fighting with the Orks now.

Haunted

VaLiancY said:
Why do Orks speak in an English accent? Just cause? I'm not complaining, I'm just curious. :lol
Which accent would've been more appropriate? :p

Games Workshop is from England.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Heavy said:
That's kinda lame that they have the power to just blow up planets from space. Shouldn't have written that into the lore because it'll always be in the back of your mind that why don't they just blow up the planet. The Orcs should be a huge threat and not prey they're playing with like in Predator movies with us humans being the prey. Maybe it's explained more...anyone care to elaborate?

Planets are a far more valuable resource to the Imperium than people. They will go to extreme lenghts to keep/conquer a planet.

GrayFoxPL

Eh I guess I won't be getting it after all. Played the demo today and got bored of it by the end.
Very solid game mind you, awesome carnage and dat axe. It just it felt like it's all it's gonna be.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
GrayFoxPL said:
Eh I guess I won't be getting it after all. Played the demo today and got bored of it by the end.
Very solid game mind you, awesome carnage and dat axe. It just it felt like it's all it's gonna be.
Play it on hard and don't use any Rage.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
GrayFoxPL said:
It doesn't magically change the game. Felt monotonous, not easy, that's all.
It made the demo more enjoyable for me. You have to be more aware of your actions when your mistakes are punished. But I have no idea how the actual game will keep things fresh over the length of its campaign. All games are repetitive to some degree so maybe it's just a case of not finding the core mechanics to be fun.

Twinduct

GrayFoxPL said:
XQmwV.jpg

I kid!

SapientWolf said:
Don't they all have non-American accents? I think the Orks are just the most obvious.
Yeah, they all do.

Orks using a working-class English brogue is something that originates with Tolkien himself.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Boogdud said:
I've always been fond of the Orks and their disposition. FIGHT. If I remember correctly, isn't there like no limitation on how big they can get as long as they live long enough? Only problem is, nobody lives that long, because all they want to do is fight. If there's no one around to fight, they fight each other. I mean, that's good stuff.

Orks are easily my favorite race in 40k. So much style and they are just tough as shit. spread through out the entire galaxy, more numerous and successful than any other race in the game (save maybe tyranids.. who knows how many of dem are past the reaches of known space) and they are just built fuckin hard. Gaz is like 25 or 28 feet tall. Plus Power armor. The wiki description of the Waaaghh is so spot on "Part mass migration, part holy war, part looting party and part pub crawl." ... sign me the fuck up!

Eppy Thatcher said:
Orks are easily my favorite race in 40k. So much style and they are just tough as shit. spread through out the entire galaxy, more numerous and successful than any other race in the game (save maybe tyranids.. who knows how many of dem are past the reaches of known space) and they are just built fuckin hard. Gaz is like 25 or 28 feet tall. Plus Power armor. The wiki description of the Waaaghh is so spot on "Part mass migration, part holy war, part looting party and part pub crawl." ... sign me the fuck up!

Orks are what mankind would be if we didn't have women, blokes sat around farting, fighting and drinking squig juice. You just know there's some orks out there buttfucking as well.

Top Bottom