• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros. extends delay for rental DVDs to 56 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Warner Bros. is about to reignite a battle with Redbox and Blockbuster over how long consumers have to wait to rent DVDs.

The Time Warner Inc.-owned studio is instituting a new policy that all DVD rental services must wait 56 days from the time the disc goes on sale at retail stores like Wal-Mart and Best Buy until consumers can rent them, according to people with knowledge of the matter who were not authorized to discuss it publicly. That's double the current 28-day "window."

A spokesman for Warner Bros.' home entertainment division declined to comment. But executives at the studio have previously said they were seeking a longer delay, which they believe will help boost flagging DVD sales and video on demand, both of which are more profitable for them than disc rentals.

Netflix has agreed to abide by the 56-day delay, one of the people close to the situation confirmed.

But Redbox will wait no longer than 28 days to rent discs, interim President Gregg Kaplan said in an interview this fall. A spokeswoman confirmed Friday that the company's position has not changed.

A person familiar with the thinking of executives at Dish Network-owned Blockbuster said the only remaining nationwide DVD rental chain is also not willing to wait 56 days to offer new releases from Warner Bros.

Because those companies won't be able to buy discs directly from Warner Bros., they will have to purchase them in bulk from retail stores. That entails hiring shoppers to pick up DVDs and paying full retail price, rather than the lower wholesale price charged by the studio.

Redbox used the same tactic in 2009 and 2010 when the kiosk-rental company was in a similar fight with Warner, 20th Century Fox and Universal Pictures. It ultimately agreed to abide by the 28-day delay.

The new policy, expected to be announced next week at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, is to take effect Feb. 1, the day after Warner Bros.' current deals with Netflix and Redbox expire.

In exchange for the 56-day delay, Warner will charge rental services a lower wholesale price. In Netflix's case, that will allow the company to save money that it can spend instead on digital content for its streaming service, which has become a more important part of its business than DVDs by mail.

Redbox and Blockbuster, however, are more dependent on new releases and would probably see declines in their revenue if they made customers wait nearly two months to rent movies that are already for sale in stores or available online via video on demand.

Previously, Blockbuster was the only major DVD renter that offered discs the same day they went on sale, an advantage studios gave the struggling company as it went through bankruptcy last year. The company was ultimately bought at auction by Dish Network.

Warner Bros.' new policy could soon be adopted by Universal Pictures. That studio's agreements with Redbox and Netflix, which include a similar 28-day delay, expire in April.

Fox's agreements with the two services expire in April 2013. Fox's home entertainment President Mike Dunn said he has been satisfied with the results of the 28-day window.

Paramount Pictures allows Redbox and Netflix to offer its DVDs the same day they go on sale. Sony Pictures has simultaneous "day and date" releases with Redbox but makes Netflix wait 28 days for its films that perform best at the box office. Walt Disney Studios does not impose a delay, but does charge more for new releases.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-redbox-netflix-20120107,0,2806609.story

As if there were any remaining doubt that distributors see Netflix as a growing threat to their retail business model, everyone's favorite DVDs-by-mail and streaming service just hit two more roadblocks on its quest to stuff mailboxes and Internet tubes with as many movies as possible.

First, the least ominous of the two: HBO has decided to discontinue its discount relationship with the company. That doesn't mean Netflix will suddenly stop carrying HBO content, it just means they're no longer allowed to buy the discs from HBO on the cheap. Basically, part of Netflix' business model is that it buys huge volumes of discs directly from the manufacturer (it's not like they go out to Best Buy every Tuesday, buy a bunch of movies and just throw away the cases) instead of a retailer. Now HBO has essentially told them that if they want to give their customer's the next season of, say, True Blood, they'll have to go go buy a bunch of copies at retail and toss the cases.

The reason behind the move is a simple one: HBO doesn't need Netflix. It's one of the few content creators in the market that proves season after season that its premium content is indeed worth the premium they charge. They have their own Netflix-like streaming service in HBO Go, which is gaining more traction as more cable providers adopt the feature, so there's little incentive for HBO to dillute the air of exclusivity they've been cultivating for decades by cutting a direct competitor like Netflix a break.

The second slap Netflix received this week, however, is a bigger deal. If you'll recall, last year saw a wave of studios putting an end to the day-and-date availability of their new DVDs and Blu-rays on Netflix' service. Several of the biggest studios around only agreed to give their highly coveted new releases to rental companies 28 days after they're first available on DVD. Now, after several months of contemplation, Warner Bros. has decided to double down on that window by another 28 days.

Of course, this new 56-day window isn't exclusive to Netflix. Warner Bros. are applying it to all rental providers, which means you're going to have to wait two months after The Dark Knight Rises hits DVD to find it in a Redbox or on the shelves of a Blockbuster (if you can even find a Blockbuster these days). And while one studio barring rentals for two months may not seem like a big deal, it'll become one if Paramount, Fox and the rest of the Hollywood giants decide to join in the scheme, which is meant to limit supply and thus force eager audiences to buy more movies instead of renting them. Or, you know, just download them illegally.
http://www.movies.com/movie-news/ne...-days-hbo-tells-them-to-buy-retail-discs/6097

This really doesn´t bother me that much. I have a giant list of older movies I need to see.

This though will make piracy even more attractive though for those that can´t wait.

Edit: I guess the HBO thing is a bit troubling. But still they´ll learn eventually.

entremet

Media companies really want to kill Netflix.

Really stupid.

Why can't HBO just offer a online only service? I'd pay 20 bucks for that.

Diablos

Warner Bros. indirectly supporting piracy!

What a bunch of fucking loons. Their eagerness to fall on their own swords for absolutely nothing is extremely perverse.

I just wish all the studios went belly up like the gaming industry in 1983, and everything got a reboot. It's time. Like so many other things in the world...

But won't that simply encourage movie piracy? If the DVD is out there but not available to rent for a longer period, doesn't that increase the chance of people acquiring an illegal copy online?

Warner Bros. indirectly supporting piracy!

What a bunch of fucking loons. Their eagerness to fall on their own swords for absolutely nothing is extremely perverse.

I just wish all the studios went belly up like the gaming industry in Japan and everything got a reboot. It's time. Like so many other things in the world...

Old vs. New

The old media guys will be bailing out right before it comes all crashing down. I really don´t think they are looking that far in the future. They´re fighting against their very savior.

But won't that simply encourage movie piracy? If the DVD is out there but not available to rent for longer period, doesn't that increase the chance of people acquiring an illegal copy online?
Yes

LuchaShaq

Banned
People like my gf will just pirate them instead of waiting for redbox/netflix and people like me will just care less about their movies and won't end up in theaters for sequels etc because we didn't see the first one.

Oh well fuck em.

I don't own any blu rays/dvds that weren't gifts and I don't plan to start now.

Sounds like a good way to annoy people without actually affecting meaningful change in their buying or viewing habits.

People will just wait the two months. If they waited for the DVD in the first place, another 60 days for it to show up on Netflix won't be a big deal.

slit

Who even cares anymore? Warner Bros. is so cute thinking they have control over their own output.

entremet

Reminds of the music industry. They focused so much on trying preserve their old models--overpriced CDs, padded with shit songs and a few singles here and there, when Napster started gaining ground.

smurfx

get some go again
looks like warner bros wants to kill all rental stores and not just redbox and netflix. although there still are many small rental stores that get the movies before street date and put them out to rent so they won't care too much. this actually gives them an advantage.

JdFoX187

Banned
Sounds like a good way to annoy people without actually affecting meaningful change in their buying or viewing habits.

People will just wait the two months. If they waited for the DVD in the first place, another 60 days for it to show up on Netflix won't be a big deal.

You'd be surprised. Often people rent movies based on seeing the commercials for the movie coming to home video soon. They'll go to Netflix, see it's not available yet and will forget all about it because there will be other movies coming out. I forget which studio, but one of them released numbers a while back and stated they saw no difference in sales after implementing a 28-day delay for Netflix and Redbox.

I dont rent WB disks. They have an anti-consumer policy in which they make the trailers unskippable. They disable the menu/title button and force you to watch it.

You know what made me rage? After 15 minutes of trailers you cant skip, I started watching the movie. 20 minutes in...it started skipping....and skipping. So I had to take out the DVD to clean it.

Popped it back in....and 15 minutes of the same trailers again.

ANGRY RAGE.

Dear Redbox: Screw WB. Walk into Target, and buy the DVD. This gives the customer:

1) Access on Day 1
2) Skippable trailers
3) The bonus features that are stripped off the rental DVD

smurfx

get some go again
wholesale prices aren't even all that cheaper than what you pay at the store. my friend pays about 16-18 dollars for the movies. its worth it to him since he gets them early and rents them out. if its warner brother movies he just goes to target and gets them for 15 since that is what target sells them for on release week.

I dont rent WB disks. They have an anti-consumer policy in which they make the trailers unskippable. They disable the menu/title button and force you to watch it.

You know what made me rage? After 15 minutes of trailers you cant skip, I started watching the movie. 20 minutes in...it started skipping....and skipping. So I had to take out the DVD to clean it.
WB is weird in that regard. I've gotten blu-rays from them and they would immediately started the movie which surprises the hell out of me.

As for the topic, WB must want their content pirated. This is a stupid policy and it's only going to hurt them. Why don't these companies wake up and realize that they're in a new world now. OFfer the movies online the same day and date that it is released in theaters for a good price. I think it was actually WB who wanted to charge $30-50 bucks per movie for a service like that. I wondered what happened to it.

RBH

Even though Redbox and Blockbuster are resisting this 56-day window at the moment, I expect them to eventually give in as well. I understand why they're sticking to their guns in order to preserve their brand rep for new releases, but buying at full retail from stores in bulk just doesn't seem sustainable in the long-term.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Even though Redbox and Blockbuster are resisting this 56-day window at the moment, I expect them to eventually give in as well. I understand why they're sticking to their guns in order to preserve their brand rep for new releases, but buying at full retail from stores in bulk just doesn't seem sustainable in the long-term.

Why not? They'll just cut a deal with one of them to ship thousands of what they need directly to their warehouse. Be a bit more pricey, but one rental will most likely get its return back within a single month and they can eventually sell them off.

RBH

Why not? They'll just cut a deal with one of them to ship thousands of what they need directly to their warehouse. Be a bit more pricey, but one rental will most likely get its return back within a single month and they can eventually sell them off.

I just don't know if that extra cost will be worthwhile to them if they don't have enough additional rentals to cover it. Then again, it does depend on what the wholesale prices are, and if they're really not that different from retail based on what smurfx said, then I understand.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I just don't know if that extra cost will be worthwhile to them if they don't have enough additional rentals to cover it. Then again, it does depend on what the wholesale prices are, and if they're really not that different from retail based on what smurfx said, then I understand.

Well if Netflix isn't getting it now for 2 months instead of 1. And both Blockbuster starting up their mail plan and Redbox expanding could drive more business to them.

It's kind of awesome to witness movie studios using the same self destructive practices as the music industry as it happens instead of looking back on it happening with hindsight.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I could see Netflix easily being okay with this as long as they get more options and a better deal on streaming.

VanWinkle

It's like they want people to pirate it. Not everybody can afford to take a risk on a movie by buying it for 20 dollars, when they could easily end up not liking it. Most of the time, I'll rent a movie, and if I really liked it, I'll buy it. How dumb are they?

B.K.

Pretty soon, video rentals are going to be the opposite of the 90s. Back then, movies were available to rent 3-6 months before they were in stores. Soon, they'll be in stores 3-6 months before they're available to rent.

Netflix has to do what the studios want because they rely on the streaming rights. If netflix doesnt do what the studios want with DVDs, they wont get the streams.

Redbox and Blockbuster can walk into Target, buy the DVDs at release day special prices, and then stock their machines. WB cant d anything to stop them, its perfectly legal.

Tobor

Netflix has to do what the studios want because they rely on the streaming rights. If netflix doesnt do what the studios want with DVDs, they wont get the streams.

Redbox and Blockbuster can walk into Target, buy the DVDs at release day special prices, and then stock their machines. WB cant d anything to stop them, its perfectly legal.

Blockbuster has a streaming service, and Redbox has announced one. They're posturing to make a deal. Netflix may already have made a deal, for all we know.

sounds like Netflix needs to buy Redbox to retain some leverage.

Blockbuster has a streaming service, and Redbox has announced one. They're posturing to make a deal. Netflix may already have made a deal, for all we know.

good.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
But won't that simply encourage movie piracy? If the DVD is out there but not available to rent for a longer period, doesn't that increase the chance of people acquiring an illegal copy online?

Sure seems like it.

I believe the Blockbuster kiosks are a different company than the Blockbuster stores.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
You really have to stand back and marvel at the unbridled arrogance of these media conglomerates. Seems like common sense to make your product available through as many legal avenues as possible, as quickly as possible to mitigate the effects of piracy. Here they are thinking they're calling the shots, but really just shooting themselves in the leg.

This doesn't really bother me at all. I'll still wait for everything I want to watch to be available at Netflix.

I love film, but there is nothing that could get me to go to a movie theater or purchase a Blu-ray.

Wow. I remember the days when this was completely the opposite. Unbelievable how far we've come as a society. Seriously mindboggling when you consider the advances in technology in just like twenty years.

To go from a model where The Goonies on VHS was $80 for months so you could only rent it to one where you can buy Contagion on Blu-Ray for $20 and you have to wait months to rent it for $5??

This is like some Isaac Asimov shit. Just unbelievable.

Am I the only one who's completely mindblown by this???? I feel like that robot at the end of AI talking to all the other robots 1000 years later!!!!!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Why is there still no "internet TV channel" that offers self-produced content online, at a low price?

bdouble

ok. How exactly will this change mine or others rental habits? I mean I already wait 30 days to see it in my own home because it wasn't worth seeing in theaters. I still have to wait for the trickle of movies to come in now a few will just take a little longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom