• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was Activision NOT worth these leaks for MS???

worth it?

• Total voters

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
giving away all this company secrets and strategy making themselves look like crud true disaster what you think my friends??

bitbydeath

The acquisition renewal is coming up soon, with Xbox threatening to close I can’t see that going down well for ABK shareholders.

Scared Homer Simpson GIF by reactionseditor

ABK generates more profit than the whole xbox division so it does not matter.

A single big acquisition can change Microsoft roadmap so it did not matter much. All these plans were before ABK acquisition anyway.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Probably. A few years from now when they make Cod exclusive, it will be more obvious

Last edited:

StereoVsn

The acquisition renewal is coming up soon, with Xbox threatening to close I can’t see that going down well for ABK shareholders.

Scared Homer Simpson GIF by reactionseditor
Activision cost is a blip on MS pocketbook. You aren't quite grasping how profitable MS is as a whole. Activision shareholders got hell of a deal getting cash and MS stock.

StueyDuck

I would rather more people played more games than learn more about personal emails that don't really mean anything to anyone other than console warriors

yurinka

It will help produce way more revenue to their gaming division and will help them reduce the loses, even if it won't change their position in game consoles game subs sales. Due to including AAA games day one on GP they may never recoup it.

If they don't care about profitability, as seems to be the case, it will be worth it for MS.

Last edited:

Hudo

Getting King and CoD and Blizzard IPs (Blizzard itself is worthless) and Crash and Spyro. I think it must've been worth it. And let's be real, no one gives a shit outside of Twitter and Reddit about all of this. Do you really think the people who buy CoD and Fifa give a flying fuck about any of this?

Stare-Bear

Banned
Seeing the way the higher ups respond to Spencer in those leaked emails, they really don’t care about the Xbox division. As long as it makes some profit they’ll leave Spencer alone.

But the second it goes into the red, they’ll pull the plug like it’s nothing.

Elios83

It's not just these leaks.
It's two years of strategic planning thrown into the bin.
Executives and internal company's culture being exposed both to consumers and competitors.
Business strategies exposed to competitors.
An acquisition that is not what was intended and has been considerably neutralized by regulators. COD for 10 years to both Sony and Nintendo, rights to games for cloud streaming sold to Ubisoft for 15 years.
It has become a really long term bet at an astronomical price and it's still not over.

If they had known they would have executed on a different strategy.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
It's not just these leaks.
It's two years of strategic planning thrown into the bin.
Executives and internal company's culture being exposed both to consumers and competitors.
Business strategies exposed to competitors.
An acquisition that is not what was intended and has been considerably neutralized by regulators. COD for 10 years to both Sony and Nintendo, rights to games for cloud streaming sold to Ubisoft for 15 years.
It has become a really long term bet at an astronomical price and it's still not over.

If they had known they would have executed on a different strategy.
this post is genius you are winning the thread

zeldaring

Banned
Getting King and CoD and Blizzard IPs (Blizzard itself is worthless) and Crash and Spyro. I think it must've been worth it. And let's be real, no one gives a shit outside of Twitter and Reddit about all of this. Do you really think the people who buy CoD and Fifa give a flying fuck about any of this?
True. People have more important things going and most people won't Care.

Robb

Gold Member
Of course. Here are two alternatives:

A. Nothing leaks.
B. A lot of stuff leaks but you get to own 100% of ActivisionBlizzard/King

The choice seems obvious to me.

Plans change all the time and a lot of this stuff went all the way to 2028 which is plenty of to to pivot if needed.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Owning the biggest and most important franchise on your competitors platform?
Gaining a massive foothold in mobile?
Having access to some of the best developers and proven management teams in the industry?
Securing a monstrous accelerant for their subscription service?

More than worth it. Easily.

Wildebeest

Was there actually anything surprising in the leaks? Microsoft would like to own everything in gaming, but in terms of making games that could be genuinely exciting for gamers and the industry, they have zero plans or ambition. Who knew?

PaintTinJr

giving away all this company secrets and strategy making themselves look like crud true disaster what you think my friends??
The question doesn't seem right,

The deal was blocked, and now we are waiting on a possibility of the inquiry group changing stance to allow the brand new phase 1 Ex-cloud rights merger to pass while starting from the body of evidence in the report that blocked the merger.

And this is all against the backdrop of them only being granted the right to attempt the ex-cloud merger at the CMA's discretion because the 10year block on them buying stock/influence in ATVI without CMA approval is now active from the original deal being blocked so a presumption the 50/50 of the deal is passing to make it worth it, doesn't really reflect that as we speak the deal might already have failed and all they've got is a $4.5b bill to ATVI and large trouser down moment in the leak department, which then changes the question to : "Was the chance of buying Activision NOT worth these leaks for MS???"

Top Bottom