• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Was this the worst generation for Street Fighter?

Did this generation suck for Street Fighter?

• Yes

Votes: 126 64.9%
  • No

Votes: 68 35.1%

• Total voters
I thought SFV was fun. Probably my favorite street fighter. I felt the initial backlash it received over a lack of story mode very overblown and I enjoyed my time with it. I still don't get why people have such a hate boner for it, but then again I'm a casual fighting game fan and don't live/breath this one genre.

and don't live/breath this one genre.
I kinda do...
StFanON.png

SFV is perfectly splendid.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Eh, sony was just smarter and actually gave a fuck about getting more fighting games on the platform. Coupled with the fact that xbox one didnt support 360 sticks, it made it automatically the worst console to play fighting games on.

not the worst console lol Sony just money hatted it. You think there wouldn’t be fighting sticks for Xbox one if Sony didn’t pay for exclusivity for street fighter?

Last edited:
not the worst console lol Sony just money hatted it. You think there wouldn’t be fighting sticks for Xbox one if Sony didn’t pay for exclusivity for street fighter?

Just like microsoft moneyhatted dead rising 3.
The ps4 had just more fighting games and the other ones run better on it.
People on xbone were pretty much forced to shell out another 150$ for a stick.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Just like microsoft moneyhatted dead rising 3.
The ps4 had just more fighting games and the other ones run better on it.
People on xbone were pretty much forced to shell out another 150$ for a stick.

doesn't matter if people had to buy a new stick or not. street fight was a multi console game until this gen

orosballs

I've been playing SF since the early 90's, entered several Evo's before they were called "Evo"and pretty much was okay with most iterations of SF (minus SF The Movie)because they were very fun to play. SF5 is NOT fun to play at all. I don't know what Ono did, but sf5 was a far step back after SF4. Hell, I liked sf x tekken waaay more than sf5. The game is a dried up turd that unfortunately is gonna be around till the end of 2021...

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I've been playing SF since the early 90's, entered several Evo's before they were called "Evo"and pretty much was okay with most iterations of SF (minus SF The Movie)because they were very fun to play. SF5 is NOT fun to play at all. I don't know what Ono did, but sf5 was a far step back after SF4. Hell, I liked sf x tekken waaay more than sf5. The game is a dried up turd that unfortunately is gonna be around till the end of 2021...

if I remember right it was released half finished. there was no solo made or summit when it first released

ReBurn

Gold Member
I hated how SF5 rolled out. It wasn't made for me. No arcade mode at launch sucked. I was told by the fine folks inhabiting the website neogaf.com at the time that I should just shut up about wanting features from previous games and just play online because it's no different from playing against the CPU. It was clear that the game was made for competition and not for longtime fans. It was disappointing.

JordanN

Banned
Did they ever fix how easy it was to ragequit? Or punish players who dropped more severely?
I've watched some games and it was ridiculous how many salty losers are there.

orosballs

if I remember right it was released half finished. there was no solo made or summit when it first released

Probably the worst user experience for me (and many others). Updates occur where the online is better (placebo effect) and other times it gets worse?? This game is just a mixed bag with every update. Capcom should spend some time and do a Third Strike HD remake ala SF2..new sprites, potential balancing, etc. Hell, even an Alpha series HD redraw/remake would be dope as well as a cvs2/darkstalkers one...am I crazy for wanting that?! haha :)

Last edited:

Vandole

I want to say no, but I've had a hard time judging this. I'm in my 40s now, and between age, a little carpel tunnel, and some minor nerve issues I simply can't play at the level that I used to during the 90's and 00's. So sometimes when it comes to frustration with the controls and gameplay, I'm left wondering if the shortcoming is with me or with the game itself.

All that said, Street Fighter 3 is still the worst generation of the series. Third Strike ended up being an amazing game, but it took 3 games to get to that point. Plus that whole generation went out of its way to exclude the casual players that ultimately make the game a success - the ones that Mortal Kombat targets these days.

Hell, most people never even got a chance to play it just because arcades were disappearing and it never got much of a console release (sorry Dreamcast owners, there just weren't many of you) until it's PS2 port that came out years after it's released.

Just_one

SFV is great , second only to SFA3. Alpha 3 is probably the best fighting game of all time.

The ONLY thing MK does better than SF is the great story mode and single player content.

Other than that SF gameplay shits all over MK gameplay , those low kicks in MK are specially horrible to look at.

petran79

Banned
Only thing I liked about SFV was that this time the whole world had a simultaneous release and you see now non-Asian players also dominate. Previously Japanese had the advantage of playing the arcade versions months before the console release and they were always a step ahead and dominating. Same for other Asian players who also traveled to Japan to play against them in arcades, something American and European players could not afford to.

Hell, most people never even got a chance to play it just because arcades were disappearing and it never got much of a console release (sorry Dreamcast owners, there just weren't many of you) until it's PS2 port that came out years after it's released.

I remember seeing it in arcades and ordering the Dreamcast version, though eventually did not play it as much. Way too difficult and incomprehensible system. Had not even an idea how to parry. Same for Jojo. Preferred SC1 back then.

Last edited:

dacuk

Awful start... it got to improve, but I think SF needs now a revolution in game mechanics and design style, more than a mere evolution.
Guilty Gear and MK showed what happens when big changes are done to the core of a fighting game saga.

Last edited:

tillbot8

Banned
Loved SF2, the rest is good to meh but SF5 was crap to me. The graphics are nothing short of dreadful. The UI and menus are rubbish! The characters are so stupid and moronic, the loading times are abysmal for what is loading... gameplay is ok. I may get a lot of heat for this I'm probably in the minority who feels this way but I disliked it as a package. Fucking Abe Lincoln type of character...What the fuck is that shit?..Trash!

Jaxcellent

SF5 plays pretty good, Capcom fucked up with the MTX, i hate the constant nickle and diming to unlock/buy a new skin or char.

dalekjay

As the Main game that I play since 91-92 , since countless and countless Championships, since thousand of hours of every entry:

FUCK SFV

I’m even playing singleplayer games because I don’t want to play sf5 anymore.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
In terms of the general population this was the worst generation for fighting games period, for the sweaty fgc and fighting game developers however it's been the best ever.

acm2000

there is only so much you can do with a tired formula and genre, i think they should try do a proper 3d spin off again to test the waters of getting rid of 2d

Enjay

Banned
I preferred tje more defensive style play of 4 or super turbo 2. Not the bullshit double tap come from my ass v skill that makes comebacks unearned. If you can come back in super turbo 2 you earned it. If you come bacl with balrogs double tap fuck you. You don't deserve shit for jabbing into a v skill and doing bullshit. Especially if tje person successfullyndefended most of that round.
This is the same thing that ruins Tekken 7 (would be way funner without that rage super bullshit.)

the question what was the worst street fighter. I gave my answer as this one. It being console exclusive

Don't really care what you think was the worst thing about it. I gave mine which it was just worst period, exclusivity has no part in it's quality nor has nothing to do with how terrible it is. You're just trying to justify some strange gripe that has nothing to do with how it turned out but carry on with your hilarious reason it was laughably entertaining 😆

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Don't really care what you think was the worst thing about it. I gave mine which it was just worst period, exclusivity has no part in it's quality nor has nothing to do with how terrible it is. You're just trying to justify some strange gripe that has nothing to do with how it turned out but carry on with your hilarious reason it was laughably entertaining 😆
End of the day it was rushed to get out on PS4, it was half finished it was not as good as SF4. Would it of been less rushed if multi console possibly. Not why you find it laughable I actually own the game and a PS4. The PS4 had no fighter at the launch of this gen where as Xbox had killer instinct, year that would of been better multi platform to, but street fighter was rushed to get on the PS4 to keep the fighter fans

I don't care that the game is ugly, but it just isn't optimized well at all. It's cumbersome, the load times are horrific, and the characters just aren't very fun; at least from the original batch. You couldn't just pick up a character and feel at home with any of them like you could with SFIV. You want a game that you can pick up, have fun with, but be difficult to master. This is what SFIV was, and why it's a far superior game. It's also why incredible fighting games like Blazblue or GG don't get as large of a following, in part because they're obtuse as hell.

End of the day it was rushed to get out on PS4, it was half finished it was not as good as SF4. Would it of been less rushed if multi console possibly. Not why you find it laughable I actually own the game and a PS4. The PS4 had no fighter at the launch of this gen where as Xbox had killer instinct, year that would of been better multi platform to, but street fighter was rushed to get on the PS4 to keep the fighter fans

Game was rushed period. There is zero evidence that suggests it was rushed to compete with killer instinct. Ps4 console exclusivity again had no part in it's quality. If a games quality is lackluster, you can say it's rushed or just dependent on the circumstances. Way I see it the developers, higher ups at Capcom poorly managed it's production while just seeing something they could milk and dime as most of the time they do. Same with marvel vs Capcom infinite. exclusivity isn't the case here it's just Capcom isn't in touch with their fanbases.

Top Bottom