• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WB up for sale

Out of the known candidates, who do you think is gonna get it?

• EA

Votes: 11 3.1%
  • Take-Two

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • Microsoft

Votes: 174 48.5%
  • Sony

Votes: 89 24.8%
  • Tencent

Votes: 61 17.0%
  • Neteasy

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • PUBG Corp.

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters
Omg not again! They were for sale before and decided it was stupid decision because nobody gave the amount they were asking! Also everyone now is betting in gaming and WB wants to leave? Nah I do not think so.
I mean... it is also a very different bussines as well. I dunno if all of those TV/Film executives are going to be able to stomach AAA game development.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
the dark knight joker GIF by hero0fwar

Once companies are aware of the blank checks that parties like Microsoft or Tencent have at their disposal and their willingness to buy, most anything becomes available for sale. It wasn't too long ago that Ubisoft and WB were stating that they were uninterested in being bought out, but money talks and it's very persuasive.

solidus12

Can't wait for Microsoft to acquire all publishers so we can be done with this whole acquisitions talk.

Acquisitions used to be fun for us "fanboys" when developers had ties to platform holders eg. Insomniac, Housemark, Playground Games.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Wait just WB games without the whole of WB? If it’s a carve out of WB studios and the DC and Netherrealm IP including film rights that seems more like a Disney level or MS acquisition not something Sony could really afford. The IP from DC to Lonney Toons is lucrative but just the studios that made the games that no longer own the IP is still cool but it would just be RockSteady and Netherealm and a few others that churn out games using WB IP.

Last edited:

Rivet

Wait just WB games without the whole of WB? If it’s a carve out of WB studios and the DC and Netherrealm IP including film rights that seems more like a Disney level or MS acquisition not something Sony could really afford.

Just WB Games, and it could be sold studio by studio...

Stuart360

It's not the way it works here. MS can't buy another publisher while the FTC still decides about Activision deal.
So Microsoft couldnt agree a deal 'in principle' while this Activision thing is going on?, then finish the deal officially when the Activision deal has been sorted either way?.
I honestly dont know how it works. I would of thought Microsoft would be able to agree deals in principle with other companies though.

Microsoft will get NRS 100%. Everything else is up in the air. Microsoft has a lot of former WB execs and Matt Booty was Midway's CEO too. Not to mention Ed Boon being friends with both Matt and Phil.

It's not the way it works here. MS can't buy another publisher while the FTC still decides about Activision deal.
They can. Nothing stops Microsoft from that. ABK deal is 70b deal, WB with 4-5b would be nothing.

MS announced ABK while having other deals in progress and since the announcement they acquired a bunch of companies too.

Last edited:

onesvenus

Microsoft could be interested but they can't do anything right now until FTC decides about Actibliz, which could take a while. So maybe Tencent...

Microsoft literally can’t because of their on going buyout for A/b which doesn’t close/finalize till June 2023.

All they can do is buy small development studios. Not a publishing house.

Is there some law I can read about this?
AFAIK Microsoft has bought multiple companies while other deals were finalizing before

Seems like a terrible time to sell, why not wait for Rocksteady to release their game first? Are they afraid it's going to flop?

Hogwarts Legacy looks promising but looking at the list of studios I'm not impressed at all.

If I was a platform holder I would not want to be associated with NetherRealm and Mortal Kombat at all, that franchise got stuck in the 90s hard and what was once funny and edgy became grotesque and tasteless.

Rocksteady makes sense for Sony even without the Batman IP because Sony has their partnership with Marvel going, but if they had to acquire them all, I don't see it making sense.

MS having an exclusive superhero game going against spiderman would be cool
I agree, Batman going exclusive would be pretty cool, maybe Phil could also fund a Superman game and a Green Lantern game.

Last edited:

Rivet

So Microsoft couldnt agree a deal 'in principle' while this Activision thing is going on?, then finish the deal officially when the Activision deal has been sorted either way?.
I honestly dont know how it works. I would of thought Microsoft would be able to agree deals in principle with other companies though.

Good question. I don't know if it's possible.

Dolodolo

AFAIK Microsoft has bought multiple companies while other deals were finalizing before
We literally have Schreier's article saying that the regulator has gotten stricter and Microsoft won't close the deal as easily as it did with Bethesda.

Do you really think that they are going to risk such a huge asset even for a second for the sake of a couple of studios that already have games in development for all platforms?

There is no law against this at all whoever is saying this is just not informed at all. Microsoft can continue to buy as much as they want to some will go through and some might fail but nothing is stopping them from making purchases or buying other studios while they wait to close the activision deal.

MS only cause they need super hero games of their own. But probably not them off the fact they seen as monopolizing rn. So imma go with Nintendo.

Dolodolo

There is no law against this at all whoever is saying this is just not informed at all. Microsoft can continue to buy as much as they want to some will go through and some might fail but nothing is stopping them from making purchases or buying other studios while they wait to close the activision deal.

Do you understand that Microsoft will have to announce a buyout of the studios from another conglomerate if the deal goes through? Do you really think that while the regulators are checking Activation, they will abruptly close their eyes and not notice yet another cunning maneuver by Satya Nadella? Don't be an idiot

Dolodolo

I really like how some people who are literally ready to kill for the xbox in every thread of this forum say something to other people about "fanaticism" Very funny Learn to accept realistically, friends :)

Do you understand that Microsoft will have to announce a buyout of the studios from another conglomerate if the deal goes through? Do you really think that while the regulators are checking Activation, they will abruptly close their eyes and not notice yet another cunning maneuver by Satya Nadella? Don't be an idiot
So? Any deal above 100m is gonna be checked. In case of WB - without IPs especially (NRS will go with MK though) - it is just a bunch of studios. Embracer bought 40-60 last year or something :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom