• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We are officially in the future - I just sold my Old iPhone using a Kiosk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Flop

Banned
So,

I was looking to sell my old iPhone 6 Plus since I just got the 7 Plus, didn't want to get store credit and wanted cash, so I looked up online and found out about this machine called ECO ATM.

ecoATM-blackberry.jpg

I was a bit skeptical, but decided to go to the one closest to me (A Wal-mart) and try it out.

5 mins later and a few steps of verification along the way, I walked out with cash straight from the machine. The whole process was so futuristic. It verified my phone with the correct cable, did some photo verification to check the condition of the phone.

Has anyone else used anything like this? I had looked up the value of my phone beforehand so I wouldn't get cheated, and I was pleasantly surprised with the whole process.

It was so unique how the machine worked.

Trade me in if Old.

br3wnor

Those machines are like GameStop from my experience, give you much lower than true resale value in exchange for convenience. But if you're not looking to recoup max $ back, they're great.

The Flop

Banned
Those machines are like GameStop from my experience, give you much lower than true resale value in exchange for convenience. But if you're not looking to recoup max $ back, they're great.

Yeah, to be honest, I was expecting it to come back with like $80 or something in that range b/c of the convenience, so I was happy with the $165. I'm sure they'll turn around and sell it for 300 though.

The Flop

Banned
$165 of instant cash is a great return I think. Much more convenient than ebay.

Yep, especially considering I only paid $300 for it a little over two years ago (2 year contract subsidized price). I would have traded in to Verizon for the $400 in bill credits, but my work covers my cell phone Bill up to a certain amount, and I'm still under it, even with the new monthly installments on the iPhone 7 Plus

The phone had some small cracks in the screen and scratches and dents, It was in moderate shape. Either way, I'm happy with the amount.

Irrespective of the price, it is pretty cool that you can just drop it into a machine like that for cash straight away, that said I imagine it makes it easy for thieves to sell stolen phones.

The Flop

Banned
Irrespective of the price, it is pretty cool that you can just drop it into a machine like that for cash straight away, that said I imagine it makes it easy for thieves to sell stolen phones.

You have to put in an ID, and it takes a picture of you, and asks for your thumbprint. Essentially they can track you down if need be. (I wonder if the Thumbprint searches any databases).

But yes, it was really cool how it all worked, and to walk out with cash in hand in 5 mins.

Kite

There is a Walmart near where I work that has one of these kiosks and I often see shady homeless-looking guys selling back phones. I wouldn't be too surprised if some of those are stolen.

gnexus

I used one about 2 and a half years ago to sell my Galaxy S3. I think I got 70 dollars? It was super easy and fun to use. But yeah, I got "screwed"

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So the future is about getting screwed
Think of it like trading in a game for credit versus selling it online. You can probably get much better prices selling it online, but who the hell wants to go through that hassle?

You have to put in an ID, and it takes a picture of you, and asks for your thumbprint. Essentially they can track you down if need be. (I wonder if the Thumbprint searches any databases).

But yes, it was really cool how it all worked, and to walk out with cash in hand in 5 mins.

Seems pretty cool in that case. They should make one where I can dump all my old DVDs as well.

br3wnor

That machine/technology surely isn't cheap. They need to make theirs, too. If the OP is happy with the return he got given the convenience of it, then I don't think he got screwed.

Yeah, especially if he got a 6 plus at launch that's a phone that's over 2 years old so it's been paid off already, not to mention he already got a new phone so it's basically found money at this point.

Skyr

convenient i guess if you need cash instantly.. but definitely a very bad price.
Just sold my 64gb 6 non plus last week on ebay for 285€(~300$) in medium condition.
I rather take the 30min more of effort to sell it over ebay.

I got $200 trade-credit from Amazon for my iPhone 4S earlier this year.

It was in perfect condition, but still. It doesn't even support newer iOS versions.

I was shocked they gave me that much. They didn't even downgrade the original quote.

The Beard

Ouch. Who owns all of your personal info now? Where is it stored? That would've scared me away.

I got $200 trade-credit from Amazon for my iPhone 4S earlier this year.

It was in perfect condition, but still. It doesn't even support newer iOS versions.

I was shocked they gave me that much. They didn't even downgrade the original quote.

That's what I would do. Amazon is convenient, and they give you a fair price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom