• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We need another JSRF Damnit!

Rlan

Or at least, a game using the same music style.

JSRF wad the reason I got an Xbox, I loved JSR on the Dreamcast, and "The Concept of Love" just made the whole thing an instant purchase.

To this day I can't get "Oldies but Happies" out of my head, such an upbeat, obscure song which just makes you want to dance a jig. "I Love Love You", "Aisle 10", "Fly like a Butterfly", "Like this like that", and "Funky Dealer" also are fantastic tracks which I still love to listen to.

I also like the beginning of one of the songs, I can't seem to find the name of it, but it begins with a breaking bottle. That'll wake you up.

"I'm not a model" is also really nice once it gets into it, but all the sexual innuendo within it is just.. creepy.

I didn't really like Baby-T [Although many will disagree :p], and wasn't a fan of most of the Latch Brothers stuff, but it was usually in the sewer levels anyhow.

The original's music was great too, what with "Let Mom Sleep", "Sweet Soul Brother", and "Rock it on".

C'mon SEGA, make one for the next Generation of consoles, you know you want to :)

I like both ways of spray painting for different reasons. In Jet Grind Radio I like how doing the stick maneuvers is sortra like actually spray painting. In Jet Set Radio Future I like the fact that you never once have to stop moving, even while spray painting. Both games offer a different flavor. Though overall I'd have to say I prefer Jet Grind Radio.

Rlan said:
We need another JSR Damnit! #1

Future was crap. We need a real sequel to the 1st JSR.

* reasons

JSR was skate punk adventure

JSRF was rubbish platformer pretending to be skate punk adventure sequel

Tenguman said:
*sammy looks at sales*

nope

:cue fanboy optimism:

but word of mouth and those free GT2/JSRF packins would mean that its fanbase has multiplied by hundreds

:cue realist:

you're probably right

Take this with an element of scepticism, but GAMEtm (UK mag), their back page, next month thing was a spray can, a pair of headphones and 'Understand the Concept of Love'. Now one of the drawing points of GAMEStm is that it has a large retro section. So it could be that they'll be doing a JSR/DC retrospective.

Unfortunately I've thrown out my back issues so I can't investigate the correlation between the preview image and the next's mags content. I know with EDGE that the back image almost always corrensponds to the next months major story.

Of course it could be that 'the concept of love' relates to them doing a piece on games with the concept of love.

Next issues out 15 of July. So I guess we'll find out then.

Yeah, I would really dig another sequel. I liked both games a lot, even though I was only able to finish Future. I agree that both methods of spray painting had their pros and cons, but I ultimately liked the platformer nature of Future better, even though its spray painting wasn't as involved. I only wish that the combat system from the original would have been retained in JSRF. I didn't like the way levels were sectioned off whenever combat was about to take place.

I'd be a shame if they just ditch this series. So many other games are going for the whole interconnected city with gameplay idea and JSRF did that quite elegantly as far as level design and just needs a few gameplay tweaks to really put it on top, imo.
The first JGR had better gameplay for sure. Also the music and characters were better. But the second had great level design and there's potential for improvement with future sequels imo.

Didn't part of smilebit get folded in with Amusement Vision? I hope sega internal politics don't stifle such fine development talent.

AssMan

Banned
One thing I hated about JSRF was that you couldn't change the songs manually, and most of the time (for me) the game kept playing the same songs over and over. I wonder if a Zelda game would've worked using JGR or JSRF's cell shading engine?

----

Banned
Future was a much better game overall. I don't like what they did with the cops in Future, but everything else was vastly improved over the original. JGR with it's slow movement, clunky control, tiny environments, and inferior graphics is unplayable after Future. JSRF is still the best platformer on the Xbox til this day.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
one thing i hated in jsrf was the whole save point / skate to other areas thing.

argh is what i say! ARGH! those monster dudes in the sewers thing was such a complete pain to go through as well.

They should take some elements from JSR and some from JSRF and make the ultimate JSR game.

KAOS

Heck, Sega should release a live enabled JSRF with co-op & multiplayer options as well as the ability to upload and trade tags. While we're at it throw in RYOS support and sell it for the same price of their upcoming sports games!!!

If doesn't sell decently then kill the franchise or whore it to the ps2.

ge-man

A new JSR or JGR would make year as well as a new Panzer Dragoon. Sammy's control has killed any hope I had for these two wishes however.

---- said:
JGR with it's slow movement, clunky control, tiny environments, and inferior graphics is unplayable after Future.

I wonder why that is so.. maybe cause JSR was on an earlier less powerful console? JSRF's environments were horrible. THe worst stages were that japanese junk town and the worstest was that rollercoaster. The only bit that I found to be remotely cool was the Dragon statue. JSR dumps over future. At least it was stylised reality. JSRF's stylised futurism (and character design in part) was dull, insipid and rubbish

---- said:
JSRF is still the best platformer on the Xbox til this day.

Its NOT meant to be a platformer.

AND I hated how those friendships formed by the kids (as the possee grew) in JSR was negated in the sequel. Everyone didn't seem to know one another and seriously, Future Beat sucked.

gunstarhero

Didn't Sega recently do an arcade game that looked similar (in style) to JSRF? Any chance of that coming to the consoles?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I would like to see JSR combined with JSRF. They are both flawed in certain ways (though JSR is a better game IMO) and combining them would help a lot.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'd have to agree, Future did indeed rock. I really enjoyed the original and also the sequel. I'm a proud owner of both soundtracks as well.

VPhys

Future's soundtrack is so many lightyears behind the sdtk to JGR.

JGR still today is at least in my top 3 favorite soundtracks of all time.

Wario64 said:
Teknopatheic does rock. Also, Birthday Cake sucks

I love Cibo Matto and I like Birthday Cake, but that song was so, so out of place in JSRF. There's songs off of Cibo Matto's Stereo Type A LP that would have fit WAY better. I've never understood that decision.

I was ultimately disappointed with JSRF. The lack of time limits completely removed any sort of challenge. Any run-ins with enemies were locked off in little areas. The lack of interesting spray mechanics. The music wasn't as good, in my opinion. I like the game, but I loved JGR.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
VPhys said:
Future's soundtrack is so many lightyears behind the sdtk to JGR.

Ironically I think the opposite, ahh well. It's good to have a different opinions. Maybe they will combine the best aspects of both soundtrack styles for a next release?

Actually aside from the general complaints of both games I'd be happy if they'd just release a sequel. Comeone Sega I'll take whatever you want to give us, a sequel of decent quality is all I ask.

belgurdo

Banned
Future had some nice girls in it. I have yet to play Grind but since it's sitting in my CD rack "backlog" pile I might as well today.

gunstarhero said:
Didn't Sega recently do an arcade game that looked similar (in style) to JSRF? Any chance of that coming to the consoles?

Ollie King, and let's hope so! It looked incredibly awesome.

The original soundtrack just came out a week ago, also, with 10 new tracks by Hideki Naganuma - the guy who wrote all the (best) music from JSR and JSRF. We can pick that up at the very least!

Top Bottom