• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We will never see TV as good as Game of Thrones season 1-4 ever again

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Arya has seen better days.

azeegyp_460swp.webp
Just saw her recently in ‘Two Weeks to Live’, if you like shows like ‘End of the Fucking World’ you’d probably like it. (British drama)
images

Azurro

Banned
Hollywood is full to the brim with progressive activists. It's a guarantee nothing of quality will ever be created from their side.

I personally preferred the 1st and 2nd season of Vikings at the time as they were more consistent in delivering story beats and all of the actors did a phenomenal job. I disliked how The Game of Thrones show kept putting off any kind of resolution to most conflicts and abruptly fucked shit up out of the blue. I also really only liked the segments of the show about Arya Stark and Bronn.

Even after watching the show I would rather rewatch the 1998 Merlin mini-series. I am certain this fantasy medieval theme will be revisited in the future and done well.

Last edited:

Ionian

Vikings
Shield
Justified
Ray donovan
Breaking bad
Line of duty
To name a few

I watched most of those, other than Breaking Bad non of the others ever hit home with and I watched some several times after the initial watch.

Vikings - just seemed cheap to me.
Shield - Jesus Christ the camera work on it. It's like someone kept have a seizure or panic attack when filming. Wanted to like it, went back years later and busted out laughing at the ending.
Justified - Loved him in Deadwood but gave up after a few seasons. Was just the same shit over and over.
Ray Donovan - I tried a few episodes but by this stage I wasn't finishing seasons anymore if someone says I need to sink invest that much time into a show.
Breaking Bad - As per Ray Donovan and sinking time in, I was lucky enough to catch this early on and was curious. It's easily up there for me with one of the best and there is very little filler unlike other shows on the list.
Line of Duty - Only heard of the game, Love war shit. Worth a look?

In fairness, Less time now than I even did then. Had a dude who recommend me shit. For every 'Deadwood' I had to watch whatever 'True Blood' (practically forced to watch 2 seasons) or that newer mini series 'American Horror'. Even got me into 'The Wire', it's good shit and I tore through it. Ain't the GOAT likes it's proclaimed to me.

You know the type of dude that would say did you watch 'xyz'? "nope". Then proceeds to tell you about the TNG episode from over 20 years ago in minute detail despite telling them you're not interested.

Star-Lord

Vikings
Shield
Justified
Ray Donovan
Breaking Bad
Line of Duty
Out of all those, Breaking Bad is the only one really worth watching. The first two seasons of LoD were good, but then it began to drag after that. Vikings is good but it’s essentially GoT on the high seas.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
When the show followed the books, it was the GOAT. When it started deviating some, it still gave us Battle of the Bastards. When it became complete fanfic schlock…sigh. So disappointing. And the idea of George ever finishing the story is just a fool’s hope now.

Gods, you’d think the big bad from the prologue would take more than a single episode to vanquish, as awesome as it was (until it ended).

Ionian

i’m just going to assume that you accidentally skipped over Justified.

Call a spade a spade here. Justified had the same shit over and over and over again.

Walter Goggins Vs. the Sheriff. Are they friends now? Co-Op mission for bonus points. Ah shit they aren't but they might be next episode, find out next season.

Ionian

Nah, the battles were far bigger and better than anything GoT ever produced. If anything it was GoT that was cheap out of the two.

I'm not sure I got past or even far into the second season. The cringe of the Celtic accents was too much for me as well as the over-acting.

I'd sooner watch 'The Last Kingdom' and even that got tiresome after the 2nd season. It's pulp fiction which is fine, but did nothing for me. I don't remember any massive battles in Vikings in the first couple of seasons? Pray tell.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I'm not sure I got past or even far into the second season. The cringe of the Celtic accents was too much for me as well as the over-acting.

I'd sooner watch 'The Last Kingdom' and even that got tiresome after the 2nd season. It's pulp fiction which is fine, but did nothing for me. I don't remember any massive battles in Vikings in the first couple of seasons? Pray tell.
You should keep watching, the first season is easily the weakest.

The second season has the battle against King Ecbert near the end.

Meanwhile on GoT, the first season had a battle which Tyrion was immediately hit on the head so you see nothing and in season 2 for the battle at blackwater they focus on the drama inside the castle instead of the battle itself.

Xenon

Too many great shows in the past. The Expanse is best current show for me that comes close. Though I haven't watched the last season, I'm afraid it's going to go to shit.

As for the future, outside of foreign series I see very little chance of anything great being released.

Ionian

You should keep watching, the first season is easily the weakest.

The second season has the battle against King Ecbert near the end.

Meanwhile on GoT, the first season had a battle which Tyrion was immediately hit on the head so you see nothing and in season 2 for the battle at blackwater they focus on the drama inside the castle instead of the battle itself.

Nah man, 'Vikings' did nowt for me. If you watch a great deal of a program and it doesn't click ... then you bail. Was far too hammy, terrible accents and story but in saying that each to their own. Know plenty of people that did enjoy it.

As for Tyrion, that was in the books plus in season 2 he was important at rallying the troops against Stannis when everyone else cowered. Don't even have to be a book reader to know that. He saved Kings Landing. He used of pinning Stannis and the use of wildfire won the battle. You honestly miss those scenes? They were the biggest thing on TV at the time and cost a fortune, thus cementing a growing interest in the show.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Nah man, 'Vikings' did nowt for me. If you watch a great deal of a program and it doesn't click ... then you bail. Was far too hammy, terrible accents and story but in saying that each to their own. Know plenty of people that did enjoy it.

As for Tyrion, that was in the books plus in season 2 he was important at rallying the troops against Stannis when everyone else cowered. Don't even have to be a book reader to know that. He saved Kings Landing. He used of pinning Stannis and the use of wildfire won the battle. You honestly miss those scenes? They were the biggest thing on TV at the time and cost a fortune, thus cementing a growing interest in the show.
Tyrion fought in the books.
In the book, Tyrion is depicted giving a battle speech, before riding in the vanguard and fighting a knight whom eventually yields. He is also described as wearing a mish mash of armor instead of his custom suit from TV, because his armor is still at Casterly Rock. This causes the audience to miss him spearing a horse with a unicorn helm, the only thing they could find that fit his head. In the series, Tyrion is knocked out before the battle even starts by an errant warhammer and wakes once everything is over.

They did a similar thing in season 3 as well, completely cutting out the battle where Robb captures Jamie.

Star-Lord

Shitting the bed at the end is something it has in common with GoT.
The last two seasons of Lost were awful. I still think the writers lost interest in the show after the Writers Guild strike. Everything post-Charlie just lacked the quality of those first three seasons.

Ionian

Tyrion fought in the books.

They did a similar thing in season 3 as well, completely cutting out the battle where Robb captures Jamie.

Tyrion did, yes he fought several times, and?

Jamie's capture during the battle with Robb is simply mentioned, it's never shown in the TV show. They do that all the times in the books.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's a great show; defines what's possible for the fantasy genre on TV.

But I also think plenty of other amazing shows and find it pointless to compare things that are so dissimilar.

I don't get the same thing out of GoT as I get out of Breaking Bad, or out of something like Mad Men.

Ionian

My comments was about the removal of battles, where as Vikings goes all out in that aspect.

You didn't read the books, that's OK. Most battles aren't detailed greatly just simply mentioned. The detail goes into the then from the character speaking.

The one thing for the part of Vikings I did like was the formations against the invaders. Two different shows, two different sets of rules.

The last two seasons of Lost were awful. I still think the writers lost interest in the show after the Writers Guild strike. Everything post-Charlie just lacked the quality of those first three seasons.

But boy were those first 3 seasons amazing. Sadly once we got "we have to go back!" and time travel, the shark did some jumping.

lost matthew fox GIF

Likewise ALIAS season 1 & 2 are TV perfection.... After season 3 it's crash and burn. Are we seeing a trend here?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
You didn't read the books, that's OK. Most battles aren't detailed greatly just simply mentioned. The detail goes into the then from the character speaking.

The one thing for the part of Vikings I did like was the formations against the invaders. Two different shows, two different sets of rules.
I’ve read the books and the battles are cut severely, even the Battle of Blackwater.

Ionian

I’ve read the books and the battles are cut severely, even the Battle of Blackwater.

Ah yeah but c'mon the budgets were huge for the time. There was no way they'd be able to fit everything in. Once they didn't start throwing money at a pivotal battle for season end and passed the books they really dropped the ball. No offense but after the winterfell episode. Even the storming of Kings Landing looked a bit ropey.

'Hello, I'm the end-game boss'

- Sister of the green-sear jumps out of nowhere aaaaand *poof* no more army in a single blow.

That lazy fuck Bran, he just sat there the whole battle. Doesn't even smile at the end. Must have taken him ages to learn his lines.

He did nothing in that battle. He sat there.

Even Mando did it better with;

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
What kind of stupid statement is the thread title? Yes, got was amazing in the early seasons, but why do you say we'll never have a TV show as good ever again? Based on what?

Star-Lord

Because Lost turned to absolute shit.

And wasn't even that great in the first place. I can't account got your shite taste.
The first three seasons of Lost are some of the best in television history. Admittedly, it went downhill fast during the whole time-travel arc, but it picked up some during the final season. I mean, come on, watch these and tell me they’re not well done.

Forget about their never being another show like Game of Thrones, there will never be another show like Lost.

E-Cat

It's also because they were literally making it up as they go, and there was no way of wrapping up the supernatural elements 'logically'.

sol_bad

Ironically, the series was at its best back when it had a low-ish budget. The more the budget exploded, the shittier the series has become. Which means money shouldn't be a problem in replicating that quality. If someone has the talent, they can do it.

Imagine how much shittier it would have been with a lower budget.

Star-Lord

It's also because they were literally making it up as they go, and there was no way of wrapping up the supernatural elements 'logically'.
I mean, they obviously drew inspiration from Dallas to some degree, but switched the dream for being in limbo.

nkarafo

I am obsessed with Handmade's Tale, despite it's many issues. I just love that opressive atmoshere and setting.

Gp1

the-shield-fx-networks.gif
giphy.gif

Loved the show in its peak, but I have some shows I love a bit more personally:

Walter White Wink GIF by Breaking Bad
true detective mel GIF
the sopranos smile GIF
hannibal lecter smile GIF by netflixlat

(Breaking Bad, True Detective S1*, The Sopranos, Hannibal)

And that’s not even getting into comedies and animation/anime.

*still need to see S3, it has to at least be better than S2

Last edited:
Top Bottom