• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend BoxOffice actuals: Bourne owns, F9/11 tops 100 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

acklame

Code:
1	The Bourne Supremacy	 Uni.	$52,521,865	-	     $52,521,865	
2	I, Robot	         Fox	$21,728,525	-58.4%	     $95,123,749	
3	Catwoman	         WB	$16,728,411	-	     $16,728,411	
4	Spider-Man 2	         Sony	$15,015,872	-39.4%	     $328,468,763	
5	A Cinderella Story       WB	$7,834,289	-42.5%	     $29,608,773	
6	Anchorman	         DW	$6,974,614	-49.6%	     $71,060,084	
7	Fahrenheit 9/11	         Lions	$4,759,921	-33.7%	     $103,115,645	
8	The Notebook	         NL	$4,268,634	-24.5%	     $62,318,684	
9	King Arthur	         BV	$3,036,114	-57.6%	     $45,169,967	
10	Shrek 2                  DW	$2,316,663	-28.3%	     $429,441,294

Saw bourne yesterday, great movie. Enjoyed it just as much as I did w/ the first one.

And Farenheit 9/11, the film Disney refused to release has now grossed more money in NA than any film Disney released this year so far :lol

Willco

Hollywood Square
Damn! C'mon people, just a bit more than $1.7 million would have had Spider-Man 2 topping Catwoman!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
acklame said:
Saw bourne yesterday, great movie. Enjoyed it just as much as I did w/ the first one.

And Farenheit 9/11, the film Disney refused to release has now grossed more money in NA than any film Disney released this year so far :lol

Haha, Disney owned

Memles

NetMapel said:
People, go watch I,Robot !

That fucking comma makes every sentence about I,Robot weird, you know?

It's really too bad that Bourne will end up probably struggling to reach much further than 100 million, because of how stacked next weekend is.

The Village (Pretty well appealing to everyone, considering Signs box office)
The Manchurian Candidate (Political Thriller, Denzel had modest success with Man on Fire this year, generally a strong cast)
Harold and Kumar (Teens)
Thunderbirds (Nobody)

Still, having two openings that I expect will reach or come near to 20 million, with Village of course coming in 50+, will mean Bourne will likely fall 60+ percent, probably worse than I, Robot did.

And the Disney thing? Priceless. Seriously, Eisner deserved to be assfucked on that decision...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
The Village will probably #1 next weekend... but I'd rather it be the Manchurian Candidate... the original MC is such a good movie I hope this remake does the whole idea justice(I know they've made some changes to some storyline pieces).

MASB

The only bad thing is that Catwoman made as much as it did. Too many gawking teenage boys I guess. :p I loved some of Ebert's comments about the film: "In the movie she (Berry) is always saying how she's bad, but we never see any evidence of this. All she does is put on a leather S&M outfit, crack her whip a few times and spout stupid cliches." "She starts eating tuna alot and does other cat-like things and yet her character never thinks that any of this is unusual." "This is her worst performnace since BAPS."

Trevelyon

MASB said:
The only bad thing is that Catwoman made as much as it did. Too many gawking teenage boys I guess. "

It'll fizzle out over the working week & be crushed by all the new stuff plus Bourne, I,Robot & Spider-Man 2 over the weekend. I'd say it'll add less then 15 million from here to next monday.

Willco

Hollywood Square
The HELL if I'm seeing The Village until someone confirms they've changed that shitty ending from the original script.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Socreges said:
Fahrenheit 9/11 $103,115,645

"front loaded", my ass.
Yeah I will take back anything I said about this movie being totally front loaded. I guess word of mouth did a lot for it. Does anybody remember the first weekend numbers?

Saw Spidey on Friday (doing my part to shut down catwoman) and Enjoyed it. Saw Bourne last night and enjoyed that as well. Both were real good. :)

edit: haha disney pwned thanks for pointing that out guys. got a LOL out of me. What is additionaly funny is that is stomped the Alamo which Eisner admitted was a grab at post 9-11 patriotism *whoops* :)

FnordChan

scola said:
Yeah I will take back anything I said about this movie being totally front loaded. I guess word of mouth did a lot for it. Does anybody remember the first weekend numbers?

The Internet always remembers. Courtesy of Box Office Mojo:

Date: Jun 25–27
Weekend Gross: $23,920,637
Theatre Count: 868
Average: $27,558

All the details await you here.

FnordChan

I still feel comfortable in saying that the only movie this summer I've seen is Shrek 2 and F9/11. Any plans to see anything else? Nope, not much intrigues me this year it seems. Hell F9/11 and Shrek 2 were just "impulse" views, in the area/had a friend over and nothing else to see at the movies.

Then again, I'm no avid movie goer. I only tend to go when movies I've been interested in for years pop up into the theaters (So uh, basically Star Wars has been it lately) everything else is worth the wait for PPV or for movie networks to pick up. Sadly, Thunderbirds when have been my big ticket film for this summer has it not been craptastic from the start of production. Where are my marionettes? Where are my cardboard cities? Meh.

Actually the entire point of this post was to hint at my dislike of Spiderman and state that I don't ever plan on "doing my part". Seriously!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Meier said:
Heh, probably? Should open up over 60 million I'm thinking.

I'm not so sure about that. The Village is opening up against Denzel & Meryl Streep in The Manchurian Candidate, which is getting VERY positive buzz, as well as Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle, which is ALSO getting positive buzz.

Tough competition, drawing specific audiences in different directions.

I think the only movies I've seen at the theater all year are Control Room (the al-Jazeera documentary), Fog of War (the Robert McNamara documentary) and Triplets of Belleville. I'm so indie it hurts.

Paradox

Tough competition? There is no way in hell those movies are gonna top or even come close to The Village this weekend. If Bourne can get 50 mil then im pretty sure Village should come close to 60 mil.

And in terms of Catwoman Ive noticed alot more girls wanting to see it for Halle Berry.

Solid

Aha ok, I guess Scandinavia is a little slow then :p

It has premiere on August 27 here in Sweden. That's a long time :(

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
DarthWufei said:
Sadly, Thunderbirds when have been my big ticket film for this summer has it not been craptastic from the start of production. Where are my marionettes? Where are my cardboard cities? Meh.
Go see "Team America! (fuck yeah!)" this fall.

Oh and spiderman wasn't bad at all. And I usually hate that stuff. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom