• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Box Office - Village on Top, Thunderbirds fail to make Top 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
MoccaJava said:
By the way, Shrek 2 is $600,000 away from out-grossing E.T. for the title of the third highest grossing movie of all time for the US. It grossed about $1.1 million this weekend.
Comparing box office grosses with a 20 year difference without accounting for inflation = meaningless

MrPing1000 said:
I convinced my friends that Garfield and King Arthur were both shit. But unfortunately they wouldn't take my advice and go see Fahrenheit 9/11 o well saw Spiderman2 again no harm done

You poor things.

Just kidding, well kind of. Spiderman2 wasn't bad, but I really don't see how people cream themselves over it so much. Far too much cheese and tedious bashing you around the head with its unsubtle moralising to be great. I really felt that the ressurrecting of Uncle Ben was a personal insult against me.

And I'm I the only person who feels that MJ is a bit of a self-centred bitch. I'm sorry but it doesn't take dramatic irony to realise that Peter is having a bit of a shit time of it, but he misses her play (ie. doesn't give her he attention she craves) and she blows up with all this guilt at him. He would have been much better off with that girl in his apartment building. She was actually concerned for him when life was getting on his back and running him into the ground. She gave him chocolate cake and sympathetic company when he needed it. She accepted even the slightest affectionate attention from Peter, but MJ wanted him to constantly fawn over her. She just wants to be with Peter because she gets off on his adoration of her, the bitch.

Die Squirrel Die said:
You poor things.

Just kidding, well kind of. Spiderman2 wasn't bad, but I really don't see how people cream themselves over it so much. Far too much cheese and tedious bashing you around the head with its unsubtle moralising to be great. I really felt that the ressurrecting of Uncle Ben was a personal insult against me.

And I'm I the only person who feels that MJ is a bit of a self-centred bitch. I'm sorry but it doesn't take dramatic irony to realise that Peter is having a bit of a shit time of it, but he misses her play (ie. doesn't give her he attention she craves) and she blows up with all this guilt at him. He would have been much better off with that girl in his apartment building. She was actually concerned for him when life was getting on his back and running him into the ground. She gave him chocolate cake and sympathetic company when he needed it. She accepted even the slightest affectionate attention from Peter, but MJ wanted him to constantly fawn over her. She just wants to be with Peter because she gets off on his adoration of her, the bitch.

Woah your right! Hell even the woman that worked at the daily bugle saw Peter was having trouble

AniHawk

Die Squirrel Die said:
You poor things.

And on top of that, she thinks Spider-Man should die next time.

What a bitch indeed.

Solid

Anyone have numbers for King Arthur? How much it cost to make, marketing and how much it played in and so on. I know some of you have the numbers ;)

FoneBone

Willco said:
I think we should all take a wager now and bet if TEAM AMERICA: WORLD POLICE will make more money than NU-AGE THUNDERBIRDS.
Nah, I consider it blindingly obvious that it will. Even if Team America is a disappointment (commercially and/or critically), it'll still make more.

Fifty said:
As Trey Parker said, doing Thunderbirds without the puppets is just fucking pointless.

Simply don't agree with him on that at all. A live action version could be made really well just the movie seemed to not have been.

I get Trey's point of view but it is the same thing as people saying 3d sequels to 2d games can't be done right and all video game movies are going to suck because they are based off of video games. Very flawed arguments.

Shinobi

Dan said:
Comparing box office grosses with a 20 year difference without accounting for inflation = meaningless

That happens all the time though, so at least it's consistent. And didn't ET have (at least) two theatrical runs? Gotta take that into account.

As for Thunderbirds, it got exactly what it deserved...fuck it.

Phoenix

Die Squirrel Die said:
Okay, interest is back. I guess I agree with the expectation of a twist/suprise, but then I do think he's brought it on himself. Perhaps he needs to turn his attention and style to something that is so unambigiously not-twisty that it actually becomes the suprise in and of itself.

If it wasn't an M. Night movie, this would be one star material. The fact that people are swooning for M. Night and giving this movie more credit than its due is both disturbing and bizarre. I didn't realize that directors had fan boys too...

maharg

idspispopd
Phoenix said:
If it wasn't an M. Night movie, this would be one star material. The fact that people are swooning for M. Night and giving this movie more credit than its due is both disturbing and bizarre. I didn't realize that directors had fan boys too...

One star? Have you ever seen an actual one star film? Whether it's up to par or not, I have a really hard time believing it's that bad.

Shinobi said:
That happens all the time though, so at least it's consistent. And didn't ET have (at least) two theatrical runs? Gotta take that into account.

As for Thunderbirds, it got exactly what it deserved...fuck it.

Yeah, though if people did actually adjust for inflation, nothing would ever catch Gone With the Wind, which grossed a present day equivalent of almost $2.5 billion just domestically.

DJ Demon J said:
Integral to the plot. Check the Village threads. We can't talk about how much The Village sucks anymore, we risk a banning.

So I should read the spoiler-filled threads to find out that it's integral to the plot when I don't want any spoilers? WTH kind of sense does that make?

Mustang

Banned
MoccaJava said:
By the way, Shrek 2 is $600,000 away from out-grossing E.T. for the title of the third highest grossing movie of all time for the US. It grossed about $1.1 million this weekend.

:(

Memles

Warm Machine said:
Simply don't agree with him on that at all. A live action version could be made really well just the movie seemed to not have been.

I get Trey's point of view but it is the same thing as people saying 3d sequels to 2d games can't be done right and all video game movies are going to suck because they are based off of video games. Very flawed arguments.

I agree in a sense...yes, they could have gone without puppets, but they could have at least left it a bit campy...they needed a campy throwback.

As someone says, they could have made the movie $20 Million cheaper, by using puppets and campy special effects, and it probably would have made more money. As it was, it was simply Spy Kids redux.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Phoenix said:

I wouldn't go THAT far. I'd say 2.5/5. It's not a great movie, but I don't think it's horrible, either. Giving it 1 star puts it in Van Helsing & King Arthur territory. Giving it 2 stars puts it in Troy territory, and The Village is better than Troy.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Phoenix is also the jerk who went to see The Sixth Sense, "figured out" the ending at the start of the movie and proceeded to spoil it for his wife the whole way through. I'd punch you in the face if you did that to me.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Dan said:

Shrek 2 is currently the number 31 top-grossing movie, adjusted for inflation; just above Bambi and right behind Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Will probably move up 2 or 3 slots before it's out of theaters.

Here is the current list of top-grossing movies, adjusted for inflation.

Here is how BoxOfficeMojo adjusts for inflation.

Note this statement, however:
Still, many movies from the 80s to mid-90s may not have as extensive weekend box office data and many movies prior to 1980 may not have weekend data at all, so the full timeframe for when that movie made its money may not be available. In such cases (and where actual number of tickets sold is not available), we can only adjust based on its total earnings and the average ticket price for the year it was released. Still, this should be a good general guideline to gauge a movie's popularity and compare it to other movies released in different years or decades.

"Originally Posted by Phoenix:
If it wasn't an M. Night movie, this would be one star material. The fact that people are swooning for M. Night and giving this movie more credit than its due is both disturbing and bizarre. I didn't realize that directors had fan boys too... "

"One star? Have you ever seen an actual one star film? Whether it's up to par or not, I have a really hard time believing it's that bad."

Ebert thinks it's that bad. He is really mad about it actually. He HATES it. And gave it one star. And I have seen movies I wouldn't even give one star to, like Armageddon. ZERO for that crap.

SyNapSe

Die Squirrel Die said:
Okay, interest is back. I guess I agree with the expectation of a twist/suprise, but then I do think he's brought it on himself. Perhaps he needs to turn his attention and style to something that is so unambigiously not-twisty that it actually becomes the suprise in and of itself.

It is semi-fair that all this hoopla over "twists" happens now w/ his movies, but it is a bit overboard. Signs really had no big twists, and honestly.. neither does the village. Does it have some aspects that you didn't expect? Sure, do they really affect the movie? No.

Honestly, I'm not sure what the huge backlash is about. I enjoyed The Village, and I'm normally fairly picky. For instance, someone earlier mentioned they talked their friends out of seeing The Village in favor of I, Robot... I actually prefer The Village. Does it have plot holes if you analyze the crap out of it? Yup, but so do tons of movies.

Was The Village a movie with beautifully filmed scenery, excellent acting (especially on the part of Bryce Dallas Howard), and at the very least a quasi-unique (for films) plot? Yup!

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Manchurian Candidate is one of the worst movie I've ever seen... it's so terrible I really was tempted to walk out of the theatre in the middle of it.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
NetMapel said:
Manchurian Candidate is one of the worst movie I've ever seen... it's so terrible I really was tempted to walk out of the theatre in the middle of it.

Huh? You're going to have to explain that one, because unlike The Village, that particular opinion is in the minority. While the new version isn't as good as the original Manchurian Candidate, it is still a pretty good movie.

andthebeatgoeson

Man, I'm not sure which movies to check out this week. Somebody told me that The Village sucked then proceeded to tell me the Bourne Supremacy sucked. I thought that was damn near impossible.

maharg

idspispopd
Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Ebert thinks it's that bad. He is really mad about it actually. He HATES it. And gave it one star. And I have seen movies I wouldn't even give one star to, like Armageddon. ZERO for that crap.

Well I agree with you on Armageddon, but as for Ebert... I think the question then is the other way around. If it hadn't been a Night movie would it be provoking such a backlash. But whatever. One star is far too harsh for a simply weak movie. For it to be one star, it has to not only have a weak plot but also a weak technical execution imo. For it to be a turkey, it has to be Armageddon. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom